Blown motor, what to do?

tailwaterstailwaters Posts: 122 Deckhand

A little background; A couple weeks ago on the way back from a fishing trip my engine starting acting up. It would only do 2000 to 2200 rpm’s. Years ago on another boat I owned we had the same problem and it ended up being the fuel filter so I wasn’t too concerned at the time. Anyway we had to limp back the 6 or 7 miles to shore. By the time we got back the tide was too low to put it on the trailer so we tied it up and grabbed a beer. After an hour or so we had enough water but now the engine wouldn’t start. Pulled the cowling and oil was everywhere. We eventually got it load and dropper it off at the local stop I’ve used in the past. They called me back a few days later to confirm my fears, blow motor. They also said due to the age and type of motor is wasn’t worth rebuilding. (2005 Yamaha 250hp HPDI with 700 hours on it)

Unfortunately money is a little tight for me so dropping 20-25k on a new engine just isn’t an option. I can only afford about half that amount 10-12k so I’m forced to look at used and or rebuilt engines. Although I have owned several boats over the years this is the first time I’ve had to deal with this issue and hoped you guys could give me some pointers.

• Should I look for a used or rebuilt motor? In other words is one better than the other? Their doesn’t seam to be much of a price difference.
  • Will the rigging that’s currently on my boat work with a “new to me” Yamaha 4 stroke engine or is that something that needs to be replaced too? If it doesn’t then I’ll stick with Yamaha but if not I can expand my search to other brands.

I found a few used / rebuilt Yamaha 250hp 4 stroke on the internet that looked decent and fall within my price range. The problem being the two companies that have what I’m looking for also had a lot of bad reviews (M&W outboards and Blackbird/A-1). Regardless to where I purchase the motor my plan is to hire a 3rd party mechanic to inspect it first. By doing this would you still consider a motor from one of these companies? Also does anyone have any recommendations on good source for a used outboard?  I live in Tallahassee and will most likely have to have the motor shipped to me to get mounded which is why I want it inspected first.  

Any thoughts or pointers anyone has on this subject will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the assistance

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,508 Admiral
    I would get in touch with Matt Conrad on here, he seems to be knee deep in Yamaha engines and he's been on here a while so i imagine he doesn't sell junk.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,518 Moderator
    Many years ago I had a 150 HP Johnson Cross flow motor rebuilt by a Company in  FL. it was on a used boat I  just bought. It came with a 1 year warranty. I ran it for 5 years or more till i gave it to a friends son. If done right it  should be good as new, for me it was money well spent. It was a complete power head rebuild. Not sure who does that now. Not just power tune carb spray,,carb adjust,and new plugs and impeller.
    Good luck
    larrywitt   
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,337 Captain
    Did the shop give you a price on a rebuild ?   700 hours doesn't seem too high.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    edited March 13 #5
    Slough said:
    Did the shop give you a price on a rebuild ?   700 hours doesn't seem too high.
    That does seem like a lazy thing to say (the mechanic not you).   a 2005 HDPI 250 is worth good money if it's running and in good shape, and 700hrs is pretty low considering.    Might be smart to get a second opinion on that motor and price for a new powerhead.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • tailwaterstailwaters Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Thanks for the replies! It has two blown heads but they didn't dig too deep into it. The Yamaha HPDI in 250 and 300hp have horrible reviews and this isn't the first issue I've had problems with the motor. The mechanic said they could rebuild it but the success rate is only 70% on these motors. I did some research and that statement was that off base. The cost to rebuild it is around 8k and in my mind it just isn't worth it. That being said I haven't made my mind up yet on anything other than the fact I don't have 25k to drop on a new motor and am open for options.  
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,228 Captain
    I would look for a used motor, people trade up all the time, people with money that is.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    Good news is you're already wired for a yammie 

That does seem like a lazy thing to say (the mechanic not you).   a 2005 HDPI 250 is worth good money if it's running and in good shape, and 700hrs is pretty low considering.    Might be smart to get a second opinion on that motor and price for a new powerhead.  

I spoke with two other mechanics today and both pretty much said the same thing. My current motor isn't worth rebuilding. When I asked them about buying a used rebuilt 4 stroke they advised against doing so. They said most likely any rebuilt 4 stroke I find either has a ton of hours on it or it was not taken care of properly. They also confirmed the rigging for my existing motor will work on a newer Yamaha as long as it doesn't require digital controls. If anyone hears of one for sale, let me know!

• GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 726 Officer
    If it were me I'd look for a powerhead and put in on myself. A 200hp-235 should use the same lower. Then I'd rebuild the old one in my spare time if the block wasn't damaged..just WHAT was blown? Cylinders burnt? Make it work until you can afford a new unit. I have a 1990 Johnson 200HP I call Frankinstein for how many times I bring it back to life. LOTS of parts out there CHEAP
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 726 Officer
    GRIZZL said:
    If it were me I'd look for a powerhead and put in on myself. A 200hp-235 should use the same lower. Then I'd rebuild the old one in my spare time if the block wasn't damaged..just WHAT was blown? Cylinders burnt? Make it work until you can afford a new unit. I have a 1990 Johnson 200HP I call Frankinstein for how many times I bring it back to life. LOTS of parts out there CHEAP
    3-4K for a re manufactured block setup. Should have a 1year warranty.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=2005+Yamaha+250hp+HPDI&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2005+Yamaha+250hp+HPDI+power+head.TRS1&_nkw=2005+Yamaha+250hp+HPDI+power+head&_sacat=0

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,007 Officer
    I know you say you cant afford it but I never had any luck with rebuilt. I would buy a new Suzuki fly by wire for 17k even if I had to finance or borrow the balance.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,228 Captain
    This is a Yamaha, not a Johnson.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    I would get in touch with Matt Conrad on here, he seems to be knee deep in Yamaha engines and he's been on here a while so i imagine he doesn't sell junk.  
    I was able speak with Matt the other day. Thanks for passing on his name! Seamed like a real good guy that had a wealth of knowledge. I have spoken to a couple other mechanics too. My plan moving forward is to find a used 2005-2013 Yamaha 250 4 stroke that has not been rebuilt and has less than 900 hours of use. Matt is keeping an eye out for one for me.
    When this issue first came up I thought it would be a simple process of finding a replacement motor, having it installed and be on my way. After doing my homework I've learned it's not that easy. For those that will go through this in the future this is what I've learned. 

- First an 11 year old 2 stroke hpdi is not worth rebuilding. The tolerances levels on this motor are so tight it just isn't worth it. This only applies to 250hp and 300hp Yamaha hpdi and not other 2 stroke engines.
      - The rigging from my old Yamaha motor will work with a newer 4 stroke model as long as it's not set up for digital controls. This will save me some money and one of the reasons I want to stick with a Yamaha.
      - The companies that show up the most on search engines for used 4 stroke motors also have the most customer complaints. That being said I don't believe their is a company in existence that doesn't have a least one unsatisfied customer but the number of horror stories I found on the most prevalent ones were very concerning. 
      - Never buy a rebuilt 4 stroke motor. Most likely they were rebuilt for one of two reasons. Either (A) they have a ton of hours on them or (B) they had to be rebuilt because the owner didn't properly maintain them.
      - Before buying a used 4 stroke make sure it has been fully inspected by a trusted mechanic!

Thanks for all the feedback and advise, it' been a big help.

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,007 Officer
    Think about it. You are prepared to spend $12,000 dollars on a used or rebuilt motor. You said you will probably have it shipped, inspected, and mounted using old wiring harness, controls and guages. That will cost another two thousand. Your now at $14,000 for  a motor with a short lifespan when you could have bought a brand new , fully digital Suzuki for $3,000 more with a six year warranty.
    Good luck OP.  Glad Matt was helpful.    
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,337 Captain
    I did a little research with some very reputable yamaha guys.They practically said the same as your man. They all said the big block HPDI engines were not reliable enough to spend money rebuilding.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • SnooknSnookn Posts: 12 Greenhorn
  • gaggag Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Save your money until you can afford a suzuki, and be done.  Don't let those old controls make your decision.  
  • uniemaiauniemaia jakartaPosts: 7 Greenhorn
    subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
  • mdemottmdemott Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Good luck OP.  Glad Matt was helpful.    

Matt has a good reputation. Have done business with him and has been very pleasureable.
  • po28derpo28der Posts: 193 Deckhand
    I would not spend more then 5000 on a used motor. I just did a search on Craigslist and there are countless 225 efi motors out there. I would get one of them and be back on the water for little money. They are thirsty but way more reliable then what you had on there. And there are a lot of 4-5 hundred motors out there. 
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 575 Officer
    Not a good policy to throw good money after bad. You can finance at really low rates and have a reliable motor for the foreseeable future.