Rare catch of the day

Started fishing a small creek by my house. Very shallow for the most part with some deeper holes. It has moving water so I have been fishing a hopper with a double dropper rig. Been crushing the small chiclids, tilapia, bluegil and red ears. Even got some catfish and bigmouth sleepers on the fly. I got to the end of the creek where it is fed from a drain pipe that comes from a larger canal. This is the deepest part of the creek and where I have caught the majority of my fish. To my surprise there is a massive koi in there. I have fished for him a few times without success. Finally today I got the eat on fly. Fun fight on the 5wt and a nice bonus to all the other fish I had caught. Released and still in the same spot so I can catch him again.

Replies

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Very cool. Do they put up any sort of fight or is it like reeling in a wet rag?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 733 Officer
    Very strong runs when they do run but they don't go but 10 feet then try and lay on the bottom. Took me about 10 minutes to land him. 
  • SLW UroCaneSLW UroCane Port St. LuciePosts: 403 Deckhand
    awesome, i'd love to fish that with my micro with 4lb!
    Tight Lines !!! For more information on a vasectomy, please visit www.gulfstreamurology.com.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,789 Admiral
    cool 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    awesome, i'd love to fish that with my micro with 4lb!
    Great spot for the micro stuff. Lots of bluegill, redears, chiclids, tilapias. Even caught a 5lb bass in there. Always worth fishing local canals. Sadly the lake it connects to sucks. Nothing but tilapia
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 820 Officer
    You might want to put it in a tank and offer to sell on craigs list, The bigger the Koi the bigger the price.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 259 Deckhand
    very expensive fish....

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 134 Deckhand
    That look like fun.

What kind of flies do you use? I would like to try and catch some tilapia

I use my trout and panfish flies. Mosty a hooper with a weighted wooley **** about 18" under it then trail that with a nymph or small worm pattern. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,803 Captain
    Nice catching! I think your not supposed to re-release exotics back into the canals but I can understand why you did. Hopefully there isn't another one to spawn with although pretty much all of the sweet water canal fish are exotics now days.
    I remember about 35 years ago, I was working as a landscaper and we did a nice fish pond for a client and stocked it with large Koi  and they started disappearing. Found out it was an Osprey taking them out one by one. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Osprey45Osprey45 FT Pierce/ Boonton Twp NJPosts: 991 Officer
    Osprey Lives Matter
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,316 Officer
    At least an Osprey will slowly take fish out of your ponds..........if a family of Otters happen to drop by, than can completely empty it of fish in just a few days. :o

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.