Your favorite Rapala offshore lure?

CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 316 Deckhand
Bouncer swears by them!
I've caught 6 species on a XRMAG-30 Bonito

Your experience;
What size?
What color?

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Replies

• Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 769 Officer
    I can't resist, my favorite is the X-Rap deep diver that I won from BouncerSmith at a Dusky Seminar.  The reason it is my favorite is that I lost a rod overboard while trolling and the X-Rap on it's own caught it, reeled up the line, retrieved the rod and landed the bonito that pulled it over.  Believe it or not, the same day, I hooked a dolphin that someone else lost on the same lure.  Haven't caught much on it since but I am still sold.
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 316 Deckhand
    edited March 10 #3
    Aquaholic...what color/size caught that mahi?

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,010 Officer
    CD-18 red & white. Wahoo killer on a wire line or downrigger. Replace the trebles and split rings with Mustad 7982HS's and you're good to go. I've even had full-grown bull sharks chase this lure down and eat it.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,825 Captain
    Grouper trolling. I have every color, both 20's and 30's. Rapala. Sometimes color matters, the other times, they hit every color. This year in Dec. , for example, every grouper caught was on a rapala20 in blue mackeral. I mean every fish. We were trolling that color on both rods. Fast forward to the last 2 weeks of the season, and they would not touch that color, but the fire tiger was red hot. Every grouper we caught was on that color. Go figure? Lure to watch, the Nomad deep diver, sold out of Australia. One quality lure, with beautiful colors. Sizes the same as Rapala. Same price, just have to pay shipping. By the way. Changed out all rings to 185 lb test, and all hooks to single in lines. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 769 Officer
    Aquaholic...what color/size caught that mahi?
    It was about six inches and a gray and black, very similar to a mullet.  The lure never hooked the mahi, it hooked the leader of someone else's that broke him off.  When I got him to the boat I realized he was not actually hooked but the leader was wrapped around the lure.  No one was within miles of me at the time.  Someone on the radio acknowledged he lost a mahi and described the line, single hook baly hoo and the color skirt the fish had.  
    Aquaholic...want to sell that lure?!!!  :) 

• pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,165 Captain
    waldnerr said:
    CD-18 red & white. Wahoo killer on a wire line or downrigger. Replace the trebles and split rings with Mustad 7982HS's and you're good to go. I've even had full-grown bull sharks chase this lure down and eat it.
    This. I use a lot of different CD 18's, but red head/white body is my favorite.
  • rmeladine1982rmeladine1982 Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    Ruff One said:
    Grouper trolling. I have every color, both 20's and 30's. Rapala. Sometimes color matters, the other times, they hit every color. This year in Dec. , for example, every grouper caught was on a rapala20 in blue mackeral. I mean every fish. We were trolling that color on both rods. Fast forward to the last 2 weeks of the season, and they would not touch that color, but the fire tiger was red hot. Every grouper we caught was on that color. Go figure? Lure to watch, the Nomad deep diver, sold out of Australia. One quality lure, with beautiful colors. Sizes the same as Rapala. Same price, just have to pay shipping. By the way. Changed out all rings to 185 lb test, and all hooks to single in lines. 

We just got a new shipment of DTX minnows in stock at www.strikertackle.com Free shipping on all orders over $99.00

• ReelHazardReelHazard Posts: 111 Deckhand
    waldnerr said:
    In your experience, what size hook best match the CD-18 size? 7/0, 8/0?? Haven't used lip divers much trolling but have heard several times how productive they can be and would like to give it try...
  • Sea ParkerSea Parker Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    I love the Yozuri Crystal Minnow lures.  My best colors are blues & purples.  I have caught several , barracudas, bonitos, kingfish, dolphin & yellowfin tuna on these.  I have used them repeatedly until the body breaks from the damage.
  • JWPBJWPB Posts: 154 Deckhand
    How fast do you troll them?   I have a Mann that needs to be trolled super slow.   Rapalla with plastic lips can go faster but I've had zero success with them at varying speeds including this morning. 
    Jupiter 29FS
    A few days ago we caught this mahi and a good size king on a red-head Mann's Stretch 30  doing 5 knots.

• TunachaserTunachaser Posts: 151 Deckhand
    edited May 11 #14
    I've had a lot of success with the Rapala HMAG25's. The red/white and the purple/black with skipjack pattern have both been very effective on Kings, Tuna, Wahoo and Dolphin. I run them with 18 in of #8 wire at 5-7 knts on a flatline clip about 60' back. 
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 930 Officer
    My best producer, color wise, has been white with the orange chevrons down the side.  This is the metal lipped floaters.
  • K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 148 Deckhand
    ReelHazard said:
    waldnerr said:
    In your experience, what size hook best match the CD-18 size? 7/0, 8/0?? Haven't used lip divers much trolling but have heard several times how productive they can be and would like to give it try...
    The chart says VMC ILS 4X 6/0

I have a X-Rap Mag 30 in Spotted Minnow that's brought all kinds of fish into the boat.

• mikenavmikenav Posts: 657 Officer
    XRMAG 20 in Dolphin color all day long. Caught a bunch of mahi those and one wayward wahoo