First time to New Smyrna / Mosquito Lagoon area - need some recommendations

we're heading up to New Smyrna this weekend for a little getaway. We have a half-day trip booked saturday with a guide to do some fishing in Mosquito Lagoon, but I'd like to get some recommendations for when we are out on our own. No boat, just shoreline (beach, bridge, shallow wading, etc). Hoping to hit our share of trout and reds with the guide, but would love to hit some on our own Sunday as well. Also, would LOVE to be able to put flounder in the cooler (trying to check another fish caught box off for my boy).

We're staying on Flagler Ave between the beach and the river.

- are Flounder doable right now in the area and if so, I'd value some where, when, and what bait recommendations
- is there bait on the beach to cast net or jig? Can we fish the surf right at the end of Flagler?
- is the fishing pier I see on Google Maps on the south west side of the north causeway worth hitting?
- it looks like, again in Google Maps, I can drive (I do have a 4x4) up the beach at Smyrna Dunes park and get to the Ponce inlet. Is that worth doing?

Anything else worth sharing is appreciated! Thanks all.

Replies

• hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 327 Deckhand

- are Flounder doable right now in the area and if so, I'd value some where, when, and what bait recommendations

Inlet.  Mud minnow.  Our flounder fishery doesn't hold a candle in the wind to St. Aug and north.  Gigging is alright in fall and spring.

- is there bait on the beach to cast net or jig? Can we fish the surf right at the end of Flagler?

typically but many local baitshops by causeways.  I would focus more towards inlet for fishing and catching bait.

- is the fishing pier I see on Google Maps on the south west side of the north causeway worth hitting?

It is new but I would fish near south jetty

- it looks like, again in Google Maps, I can drive (I do have a 4x4) up the beach at Smyrna Dunes park and get to the Ponce inlet. Is that worth doing?

Won't need 4x4 but you can drive pretty close to south jetty then get out and walk.  This is probably you're best bet for variety of fish especially w/ no boat.

Take a trip to jbs for lunch one day.

"He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"
    buckpic.jpg" tuna.jpg th_turkey1-1.jpg
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,034 Officer
    If you are wanting a flounder - you'll be better to bounce around and hit as many different spots as possible.  Use the mud minnow or just a live shrimp - short fish finder rig - fan cast, bouncing your bait in slowly.  When a flounder hits it is like a weight, you feel that, give the fish a minute to eat the bait.  Then just lift the pole and reel it in.  We don't have a lot but there are some.

Fishing the inlet or the beach will likely produce the most fish.  Ask the guide what his recommendations are.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 6,682 Admiral
    edited March 8 #4
    hunterjw said:

Take a trip to jbs for lunch one day.

All the tips are spot on....especially this one

Captain Todd Approves

• theUtheU The Orlando SewerPosts: 36 Greenhorn
    Should have been 20 years ago when there were fish on the grass flats.