Tarpon Fishing Government Cut 3/1

Bit of a late report. I went out Thursday evening with Captain Alex from Miami Inshore Fishing on his new Islamorada boat works Morada 24. The plan was to try and catch some tarpon on the outgoing tide, which also corresponded with the full moon. Government cut itself was a bit lackluster, hooked a couple small tarpon but they weren't there in the numbers I've seen in the past and they didn't seem interested in the numerous shrimp that were passing through.

Around 1am we made the call to switch spots and found them. First bait in the water resulted in a long run off, a brief aerial display, and a thrown hook. Next bait resulted in a solid hook up to a large 100lb+ tarpon that Captain Alex fought for about 45 minutes while I drove the boat. Anyone who says fishing isn't a sport or a physically demanding activity has never fought a large tarpon on spinning gear - this fish had him tired out and sadly the leader wore through when we had it about 20 feet from the boat after successfully navigating it around pilings and sandbars.

We set up another drift and it was my turn, my pilchard was instantly devoured in a large boil the second it hit the water (always nice when that happens  :)) and the fish made a long run with a nice aerial display. I fought mine for about 20 minutes, seeing it on the surface near the boat a few times and it was another massive fish but never could get it boat side and it eventually became a vertical fight in about 25 feet of water and the leader wore through. Such is tarpon fishing, getting a 100lb+ fish to the boat on light tackle is workout and an exercise in patience. It was getting pretty late by this time and we decided to call it a night bringing home a couple nice mangrove snappers as by catch. Sorry about the lack of better pictures!

BoatEasy
The Boater-to-Boater Marketplace
www.BoatEasy.net
Find and Share Services, Expertise and Products with Boaters Near You

Replies

• greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 423 Deckhand
    Thankyou for sharing your trip with us Hurricanebk! Sounds like it was fun and exciting even if you didn’t land those tarpon. Cool stuff! 👍 

If you don’t mind me asking, what lb. test Leader where the fish wearing through?
  • HurricaneBKHurricaneBK Posts: 200 Deckhand
    We usually use 60lb. Could have probably gone higher as they were feeding pretty aggressively and may have had a better shot at them.
    BoatEasy
    The Boater-to-Boater Marketplace
    www.BoatEasy.net
    Find and Share Services, Expertise and Products with Boaters Near You
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 608 Officer
    nice snapper!
    we need more internet money
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,502 Captain
    Good dill on the tarpoon, nice snap
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you