Best Fishing in Florida

Looking for opinions here.  If I were to trailer my boat, where could I find the best fishing in Florida whether it be bass, snook, wahoo, etc

Replies

• limitlesslimitless Posts: 543 Officer
    While it depends some on your boat, the keys offers the best diversity of fishing opportunities.  The back side, flamingo and flats paired with the Atlantic with yellowtailing, reef fishing, all of the pelagics, and tuna on the humps. 
    Support the Snook & Gamefish Foundation
    http://sgf.gamefishcloud.com/

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Ok cool, thanks for the info.  I just have a 16' bowrider with a 90HP Merc.  She goes good, but doesn't like large seas.

I am actually looking to trade her with someone that has a 22-26' CC.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,799 AG
    I think your boat is the more limiting factor.  A 16 ft bowrider keeps things pretty limited IMHO. 
    What is your "style" of fishing...anchor with live bait?...Drift and throw ari's?  What is the general target species...?

There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • baccaracbaccarac Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Go to the Pine Island area near Sanibel up to Boca grande. That's all you need
    I do both, depends if I have my wife and boys with me or not.  They like to stop and let baits soak while relaxing on the boat.

The bowrider's days are limited, we are looking to upgrade to a cc.  
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,794 Admiral
    I do both, depends if I have my wife and boys with me or not.  They like to stop and let baits soak while relaxing on the boat.

The bowrider's days are limited, we are looking to upgrade to a cc.  
    Be careful when you choose your next boat.   Center consoles are immensely popular so you won't have a problem finding one, just make sure it suits your needs.    I've been on my BIL's CC and on the same hull we have a dual console and it's much more family friendly.   

If you plan to scallop, cruise, trailer, work on, fish, just make sure the next boat meets your expectations or you'll be looking to upgrade again in a few years.    
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Good call on choosing the next boat.  Question on your dual console.  Is it ok for fishing?  Maybe I keep the bowrider and get a CC just for fishing....
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,031 Officer
    Two boats can get real expensive to maintain. Everyone I know who has two or three boats has problems with all of them. The guys with one boat general keep it in pristine running condition.
    Good call on choosing the next boat.  Question on your dual console.  Is it ok for fishing?  Maybe I keep the bowrider and get a CC just for fishing....
    My son fishes off the bow area and i fish off the transom.  We have trolled for Mahi in Marathon, anchored and chummed for sheepies in Tampa bay, fished Mosquito Lagoon for reds and trout, cruised the lakes in summer with the wife, gone tubing in the keys as well, and taken it scalloping in Crystal River.    

The biggest advantage is space in the middle of the boat.   There is room to move around that on a CC there is not, but the tradeoff is  if you're fighting a fish and it wants to wander around you cannot go full 360 around the boat, but honestly that's never been an issue. not once.   If my son is fighting a fish on the bow, he walks it back to me and i gaff or net it.  If i'm fighting one on the stern, same deal.  

I'd suggest renting a CC and taking the family out on one.   You need time on the water in the boat you want to come to a good decision. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    The Keys
    baccarac said:
    Go to the Pine Island area near Sanibel up to Boca grande. That's all you need

Great fishing...but his boat is not optimal for the inshore fishery there. 

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    What boat is optimal?  Also what could I do with a 16 foot bowrider? 
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,035 Officer
    The downside of your boat is the weight and draft. You can fish deeper water - say 2-3 ft and deeper and still catch the flats fish.  Plus the lower sides will hurt in rough water - say over 3 ft.  Don't get rid of it until you know what you need personally.  To go off what folks on a forum say isn't the best thing.  Try some diff boats and see what fits your bill the best - you will likely end up with a bay boat of some sort.

A side console would be nice.

I have an Action Craft 17 ft CC w 55 hp that floats in 12 inches and also has enough side to go offshore on calm days - nice smooth riding boat up to 2-3 ft seas.  Once the waves hit 4 ft, it is like surfing.   I'm trying to figure out my fuel consumption as it's been in storage for a while and I forgot.  Hoping to get it out this weekend.  The small/light size and being easy on fuel is an advantage for me.  Can't go offshore as much but 25-gallons of gas goes a long ways.

The 17 was supposed to be a multi-use boat but doesn't fit the flats bill as well as a 16 ft aluminum my dad has with 25 hp on it that floats in 4 to 6 inches but slaps real hard in waves over 18 inches.  We have had that 16 in the Keys, Ft Pierce, lakes, duck hunting in various swamps, etc.  Last trip we took it on - 5 straight days of fishing and we burned a total of 7 gallons of gas.
    Wow, I am super glad I posted here.  I have gotten a lot of good feedback!  I think the biggest takeaway is that I need to rent some boats and see what's best for my needs.  Along with that, I need to rent boats in the keys and near boca grand because that is where the fish are at.
    What boat is optimal?  Also what could I do with a 16 foot bowrider? 
    Nothing...Is optimal....till you know what you actually want to target for species...and what style.

I have a Hewes 20 ft light tackle with a 140 Suzuki....neither "fish nor foul" in the boat world as they say...
    Too big to class as a "skiff" per se...and too small to call offshore capable unless the conditions are good and you are a seasoned boater with the needed safety gear.....which I have and do fish the beach and out to 20 miles.

What it is for me and where I live...is a great compromise.  Large forward deck (with trolling motor) to work shorelines for inshore fish or bass.  And enough size and power to run the beach from Canaveral to Ft Pierce in safety and comfort.

Keep what you have...till you figure out what will do 90% of what you always do well... then learn to accept & deal with the other 10 % 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    @duckmanJR

of all the really good fisherman who come on here you always give advice to pretty much anyone who asks for it without that hint of condescension that i've seen from others.    I think if people took your advice more often there would be a lot more successful fishermen running around.    
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,031 Officer
    I once saw three guys head out Fort Pierce inlet during a huge North Easter and head over the horizon. It was about 16 footer.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 593 Officer
    I have sat in front of Ft Pierce inlet for a tide waiting for sunrise due to the inlet surf. That was in a commercial boat. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. Be careful.