Weeki Wachee questions

FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,697 Captain
Greetings everyone.  I got a lot of help/advice here last year when I came down to Homosassa for spring break.  We're exploring a new area this year - Weeki Wachee.  Is that too far south to get any advice from this group?  We thoroughly enjoyed the Homosassa area last year, but couldn't find a house we could justify spending the amount they wanted.

Thanks y'all,

Brad

Proverbs 13:3

Replies

• xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,438 Officer
    Dock(fishing pier?) at the ramp holds some snook. Flats to the right as you follow the channel out, holds trout. Plenty of redfish but getting them to bite is another story. Permit_me knows the area. I wont disclose his redfish spots but he might share a spot or two. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,697 Captain
    Thanks.  I'll have my 18 ft Carolina Skiff with me.  Got a house on the river about a mile and half from the Gulf.
    I really appreciate you getting the ball rolling on information.  I didn't want to write an epiphany if folks here couldn't help out for the area.  :D
    edited March 5 #4
    Just bringing this back to the top as there have been 125 views and 1 response.  I'll be happy to swap information, guys.  I don't come in and destroy the resource.  It's just me and my wife and she doesn't fish.  Her favorite boat activity involves a beanbag, a book, and an adult beverage.

I can help you out with inshore or offshore info out of Carrabelle if you'd like.  I'm only looking for general information, not expecting your secrets.  :)

Thanks again.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 876 Officer
    best trout fishing is out past the end of the channel in the deeper flats with grass.  Reds, the opposite as tight to shore as possible. There are a few holes near mouth of river that hold trout, in the river. Never caught a snook in there but have seen many and my biggest snook, 44" came from pine island area. if you go onto the flats, go slow, some rocks ,oysters and even couch-sized boulders out there. cobia even roam those flats at times.
    oh, dont turn baitwell on in river if you have shrimp, fresh spring water will kill em
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,458 Moderator
    We don't get a lot of reports from down that way. That's the main reason for the lack of response. Not sure why ? They may go on West Central section ?
    "You'll get your weather"
    most days are not to brag about. but when you do find fish its good. lots of pressure.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 467 Deckhand
    :p They have mermaids in Weeki Wachee.  Ummm mermaids.
    edited March 5 #10
    LOL...Mermaids are on the list!  Thanks so much guys.  I'm looking to have a good time, not set the world on fire. :D   I'll use this information to the best of my ability.  I do appreciate these responses. CaptLouie, I understand about not getting many reports.  Same thing happens when some folks come into the NW section too.  No frame of reference to answer questions.

Have a great day, all.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,640 Captain
    edited March 5 #11
    If you decide to venture a little north once in the Gulf let me know as we fish the Chass as far south as Fish Creek (it's on the map and on Google Earth). We have a good visual of Pine Island to give you an idea where it is located.

I'll send some info by PM if after looking at the area if you decide that's what you want to try. Like Louie said, not many on this section fish out of there, so you aren't going to get a lot of information unless they post in another section.

Billy
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
    Thanks, Billy.  I'll have a look at Google Earth.  It'll depend on distance and conditions.  The skiff will handle some chop, but at almost 59 years old, my kidneys don't do nearly as well!  :)
  • josh...BAMFjosh...BAMF Posts: 113 Deckhand
    We go out of bayport pretty frequently. We do seem to have better luck the more North we run. I have tried south but it is almost exclusively sand and pretty barren. Just to the north of pine island is Higgenbotham creek we have done well on redfish in there but it can be super shallow on the right tide. 
    i need to learn the Chass area...its a ride from Bayport and it seems too many times i get out a few miles and wind gets rippin', but i guess ya go pay to play.
    How about this question....  How far up river can I take my boat?  It's a Carolina Skiff JVX 18.

2 weeks and counting.  We're ready to explore the area!  Bringing a couple of rods and lots of artificials.
  • superfluke82superfluke82 Posts: 81 Greenhorn
    I live in weeki wachee. feel free to send me a message
    edited March 21 #17
    Thanks superfluke, I'll do that.
  • josh...BAMFjosh...BAMF Posts: 113 Deckhand
    I take my 20 ft as far as hospital hole, not sure past that.