2/28/18 Ending February with a BANG! 3 monster tarpon!

Fabulous day of fishing with Irv today! Irv was down from Michigan but has a place in key largo. He was a good friend and customer of Capt. Ken Cohan and his wife Jay Anna both of whom very sadly passed away in a car accident a few years ago. Ken must've been watching down on his buddy as we were rewarded with some great tarpon fishing! We caught some fresh bait to start the day, had to look around a little but got one good throw on 'em. We made a run into the backcountry in search of silver. We finally got into some clean water and found a big load of tarpon! Irv ended up getting two large fish of 150 lbs and 110 lbs to the boat. We also had a technical release on a 3rd that we got to the leader by the boat but broke us off on a staggering run and jump. We also caught plenty of sharks including a few bruiser black tips that were lots of fun. It was good to reminisce about capt. Ken and Jay Anna as well, Irv had some good fishing stories with him. Around noon we decided to look for tripletails and caught a couple, but then the wind really cranked up like crazy! It was too much to go searching around so we headed back inshore to try for something else. We stopped in a snook area and made a few casts but no luck with that, and tried one snapper hole quickly on the way home but unfortunately it was all nasty water and algae in there. But all in all a great day with three big tarpon! Hopefully they will be cooperative tomorrow then it looks like we have a late cold front over the weekend. Probably gonna slow the tarpon down but I think it's a good thing, it's gotten way to warm to fast here!

Capt. Rick Stanczyk
Instagram: @richardstanczyk
Facebook: Islamorada Tarpon Fishing
http://www.islamoradatarpon.com

Florida Keys Fishing
Florida Keys Fishing Reports
Bud n' Mary's Fishing Marina
since 1944!

Replies

• capt.cohocapt.coho Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    that's a serious fish. Over 150 if its an ounce
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,805 Captain
    Nice
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • GeeTeeGeeTee Boca RatonPosts: 128 Deckhand
    I would go on a trip with you just so i could have awesome photographs like that. An experience catching a bucket list fish that size but being able to capture that experience to share with others is priceless. Frameworthy.