Home General Fishing

Is It Common For A Pair Of 45 lb Bull Dolphin To Hang Out Together?

AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,357 Admiral
A while back in the Keys we came upon a 3ft long floating 4x4. There were two large bulls the same size under it. We pitched a live bait on 6500 20lb spinning gear and it was game on. His brother was there too but didn't want to take a chance on a cluster @&$#%. So kept the other rod in the rod holder. With my buddy on the fish and me at the helm, 35 minutes later we landed him. A good one at 45 lbs. We were too tired to go after the buddy/ brother, and we had enough fish anyway from the day.

I say that to ask this. Is it common for two large males to hang out like that? I've always been curious. I live in Big Bend, so Dolphin is not common here. Are they not competitive with each other like a lot of animals are. They were the only two fish on the 4x4. May be a dumb question, but like I said, curious if it is common to see two hanging out together? 

Replies

• pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 768 Officer
    Are you sure it wasn't a cow ? That size they are usually paired up with opposite sex ....Maybe they were alternative mahi lol
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,097 Officer
    pje said:
    ....Maybe they were alternative mahi lol

they must have learned that behavior from nearby humans
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 858 Officer
    If you caught the bull, it was probably a cow that you left behind. That said, I've seen schools of dolphin under floating stuff like that (they love coolers!) and I'm sure there was a mixture of sexes. I think they're competitive, but they eat anything that fits in their mouth, so it's not like they're lacking for food even in a school. 
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,514 Captain
    Yeah I've only ever seen them paired up bull and cow.....
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,357 Admiral
    There was only two fish hanging out under this 4x4 unlike other floatsum during the day. Water was very clear and they were the same size and both looked like male dolphin. I wouldn't stake my life on it though. Like I said just curious. Thanks!

• HurricaneBKHurricaneBK Posts: 213 Deckhand
    I jumped in on a floating plastic ball with some rope around it way offshore one time thinking there might be a few small wahoo holding under it. Had a 35lb bull swim right up to me which I speared and a 30lb cow sit there watching me handle her partner. By the time I got him in the boat and jumped back in to see if I could spear her too she was gone.

I think it's pretty common to see two large mahis paired together. Although I've seen a couple schools of large 30-40lb mahi with a dozen or more individuals in the Bahamas. 
    BoatEasy
    The Boater-to-Boater Marketplace
    www.BoatEasy.net
    Find and Share Services, Expertise and Products with Boaters Near You