Mosquito Lagoon Seagrass?

hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 328 Deckhand

I normally fish the north end of the lagoon/edgewater but a few weeks ago I went over to the north end of the pole and troll. Much to my surprise all of the grass was gone and the bottom was sand?

I was here back in July and grass was there and even checked google maps to see recent photos of areas with grass that I was in. Yes I know a lot of seagrass has died off from algae blooms in the past but I was in these areas in July and we didn't have an algae bloom between now and then

I was told that it all disappeared after the hurricane this year?

Anyone else seeing something similar?  There is also a weird green algae further north that looks similar to something that I saw in an article about sewage eating algae.

"He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"
buckpic.jpg" tuna.jpg th_turkey1-1.jpg

Replies

• bbailey_33bbailey_33 Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    Yes, sucks since algae blooms last 2 years and hurricane. 
    I have given up on this year sadly, not even a decent shrimp run this year.
    Only the big girls can make it through this, hope they find some males in the surf to repopulate if/when the grass comes back. 
  • WeBeBoatinWeBeBoatin Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Grass is missing everywhere and replaced with something other than optimal in a lot of places.  I did see some starting to come back a bit in a couple of places but yeah like you said the north end of the P&T zone is a barren wasteland. Water was clean for a good amount of time this year too which should have led to more growth.   Fish seemed to have gone too.    
  • Chief OsceolaChief Osceola Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    When's the last time anyone on here read a report from someone catching reds and trout in the middle part of either lagoon (south of Titusville to Melbourne)?  I moved to Merritt Island about 7 years ago and I don't even waste my time fishing in the river unless it's north (ML) or south (Sebastian Inlet).  The conditions in the river have gone from bad to awful since the hurricanes.  
  • hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 328 Deckhand
    edited March 1 #5

Thanks for the replies.  I am trying to find information specifically on mosquito lagoon and changes since September.

As for IRL further south I agree that it is in terrible condition.

• Topwater GuyTopwater Guy Posts: 426 Deckhand
    No matter where you go, it is awful....Has anyone been catching any Jacks or Ladyfish..... At one time, at least you could count on them to put a bend in your rod. Was out Monday morning....nobody home! Had 5 Bottle Nose race up to the boat, for a possible meal, even they are hurting. Been up the Sebastian River a few times this winter, I have seen 0 Lady Fish, normally they are everywhere. Looks like my Flats Boat, is about to be spend a lot of time on Stick Marsh and Garcia. I'm thinking we have done damage to the lagoon, that will take a long time to repair, more time than I have left in this world.
    Lead, Follow..... Just, Get Out of the Way
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    There were some nice grassy spots in the southern part of mosquito lagoon, eddie creek to max hoeck creek, but in the past few months it's completely disappeared. Even in 1-2 feet of water. That area has been dirty the past 3 years, and it seemed to be improving....maybe it had to do with the hurricane.

The eldora area up north was pretty dirty the last time i went, maybe a month ago. There was some strange suspended algae, almost yellowish. Found a lot of bare bottom on some of my normal spots.
  • theUtheU The Orlando SewerPosts: 36 Greenhorn
    I moved from ground zero of the Orlando Sewer Dump in Stuart Fl to Mims and I thought the Indian River Between Fort Pierce and St Lucie inlet was bad! The Northern Indian River is worse then the South end! WOW very depressing! How much more environment abuse by us can the river take. It will be decades until the river comes back to former glory! If you want clean water go to Tampa Bay just got back, 

Gin clear water with healthy sea grass! Check out the Weedon Island area of the Bay acres of healthy grass and oyster beds! 

• whole lot of lovewhole lot of love Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    merritt island next to the barge canal  a/t/m the water looks like pea soup.   plenty of fingerling mullet but nothing feeding on them
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,794 Admiral
    theU said:
    I moved from ground zero of the Orlando Sewer Dump in Stuart Fl to Mims and I thought the Indian River Between Fort Pierce and St Lucie inlet was bad! The Northern Indian River is worse then the South end! WOW very depressing! How much more environment abuse by us can the river take. It will be decades until the river comes back to former glory! If you want clean water go to Tampa Bay just got back, 

Gin clear water with healthy sea grass! Check out the Weedon Island area of the Bay acres of healthy grass and oyster beds! 

you need to zip it about Tampa Bay SIR!    It's dirty, and algae infested, there are no fish left in the bay and no one should come over there looking for any!  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    edited March 1 #11
    The purpose of the post is to report findings on the mosquito lagoon seagrass since hurricane Irma.  I am not trying to find out the about the seagrass losses in the Indian river that occurred a long time ago or the mosquito lagoon seagrass losses from past algae blooms.

What I've noticed is that the grass in areas previously survived by algae blooms (very shallow areas) and the grass that was around in July is all gone in mosquito lagoon.  While I understand the area has been in crisis since the algae blooms I think the lagoon has had a significant change in the past 6 months 

John 
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,035 Officer
    Threads always wander around and it is usually beneficial. 

Kinda hard for grass to grow when it doesn't have proper water conditions.  

I got no answers for you other than you shoulda been here 20+ years ago.  It was great.  I don't hardly fish over there any more - depressing.
    Rich M said:
    Threads always wander around and it is usually beneficial. 

Kinda hard for grass to grow when it doesn't have proper water conditions.  

I got no answers for you other than you shoulda been here 20+ years ago.  It was great.  I don't hardly fish over there any more - depressing.

Trying to be more specific since the hurricanes.  Looking for everyone's findings since then.

I understand the algae blooms and poor quality have led to large losses of grass and a poor rebuilding and so does everyone else.  The purpose of this post is not to hem and haw but gather data on habitat loss in past 6-8 months.

I would prefer not for it to wander as there has a significant/total grass loss in the areas that still had grass since the hurricane (and there has not been an algae bloom during this period of time)

I fished it prior to algae blooms and fish it now so I know what it used to be. 

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 6,084 Admiral
    edited March 5 #14
    In my areas 95% of the grass was gone and the condiitons were sh_t prior to the hurricanes.  After the hurricanes?  I dunno, I don't go over there anymore. Pretty much written it off.
    Maybe it's gone to 97%.  I feel like the storms were irrelevant to the overall condition of the goon.
  • theUtheU The Orlando SewerPosts: 36 Greenhorn
    Fished the lagoon today bio lab area -4 hrs 1 trout and 1 catfish. Very little grass but no wide spread algae,  good news is the water was pretty today.