Home General Fishing

Advice for Tampa bridges/general inshore

andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
Hoping to do some fishing in the bay next weekend, any help on bridge tactics for this time of year would be great!

Been watching youtoob videos looks like a great fishery, but any local knowledge on specifics?

Seems like sheephead are the mainstays, any kings or spannies around?

Would chumming for mangos and catch and release gags be worth trying?

Any tarpon or snook chances at night?

Cobia trippletail or other randoms to try for?
we need more internet money

Replies

• rileypilotrileypilot SE Florida, USPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    i would first watch a few vids on bridge fishing.. some great lures are the rapalas, the gotcha jigs, and long a bombers and spoons. There are many more but i would try and stick to those. A good change that snook wont eat a spoon or gotcha jig, but jacks and tarpon would. Depends on the time of the year but around now i would think you would have a good chance at some nice fish. If you want live bait, either buy some, or bring a cast net or sabiki rigs. For rods if your using live bait off of a bridge, stick to a 8 foot (around) rod, with alot of backbone, and a 3/0 to 4/0 size conventional reel, or a 4000 and above spinning reel, but i wouldnt go below 5000. Try and fish the low to high or high to low tide around the last couple hours of it. Other than that good luck!
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    thanks for the good info^^
    we need more internet money
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    gulf pier at ft desoto is doing well for Spanish, if the tides are right.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr