When to scallop CR?

I won a 2 night stay at the Plantation and I'm wondering when I should take the family scalloping.  2 years ago we went in September and did pretty good with a limit both days.  Last year we were delayed by the hurricane and boat issues and ended up going the last weekend but it was a bust.  This year I really want to the kids to have a good harvest.  We can only use the vouchers during the week so weekends are out.  When should we go?

Replies

• VolFanVolFan Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    I would wait until the season opens and read some of the first reports coming in to help make the decision.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,102 Officer
    Don't wait too long, Plantation fills up quick.
  • MayferMayfer Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Both valid concerns...I want to book now to get my spot but I don't want another repeat of last year.  I like to avoid crowds which is why we always go in September but I'm willing to put up with it for the kids to have a good catch.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,789 Admiral
    we waited until August last year and it was pretty picked over.   More and more people go every year so i'm guessing you will be fighting crowds as long as there are scallops there to be had. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,789 Admiral
    edited February 26 #6
    dup
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,204 Captain
    Mayfer said:
    Both valid concerns...I want to book now to get my spot but I don't want another repeat of last year.  I like to avoid crowds which is why we always go in September but I'm willing to put up with it for the kids to have a good catch.
    If you don’t like crowds then scalloping may not be for you
    You should have been here yesterday
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,489 Captain
    You better check availability of the hotel, that may help you decide, any time from July through August should be no problem.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,273 Captain
    Scallops aren't as good to eat in September. The meat gets soft and the shells become thin and brittle as they start to spawn.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,727 Captain
    We typically have bad weather in Sept. I would schedule late July, early Aug.   And ASAP on the reservations !
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,497 Captain
    If the scallops are there, so will be the scallopers. It may light'n up after the first few open weeks. The sooner you book, the better.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,420 Officer
    Since Steinhatchee was so good last year I think we will get a little break on the crowds. Instead of 10 thousand boats, maybe just 8 thousand.
    If they get picked over, try south of chassahowitzka Point.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,832 Admiral
    May, to avoid the crowds
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,489 Captain
    Steinhatchee sucks, don't go there.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,097 Admiral
    I know each season is different, but go back to posts from last year to get a general idea.  Especially since it sounds like you may need to book a room soon.