Home General Fishing

Is 50lb. braid mainline enough for Blacktips?

I have a Fathom 25lw and a Shimano Tekota 600. Both will hold about 380 yards of 65lb. But I’ve been told that 380 yards wouldn’t be enough for blacktips in the surf. The reason I’m considering 50lb. 

Thankyou

Replies

• Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 937 Officer
    edited February 2018 #2
    I catch a few each year while walking the dog on the beach and throwing surface lures.  Depending which reel I put on my surf rod, I'll be loaded with either 40 or 50lb braid.  I have never felt that I needed anything heavier than 50lb for spinners o blacktips. 
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,105 Officer
    You probably don't even need fifty if your drag is set correctly.
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 508 Officer
    Thanks guys! 👍 When fishing from the beach for them, is there any rule of thumb on how much line I should make sure to have on my reel?
  • MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 70 Deckhand
    You'd be amazed at how much pressure you can put on 50lb if your knots are good

Everybody gets one

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Blacktips and spinners aren't big sharks.   5-6 ft is about average.  9 ft is huge.  

Whoever is telling you that 380 yards of 65# isn't enough for a blacktip is jerking your chain.  If you start fishing for jumbo bulls and such, you need special tackle and a buddy or two to hold you down.  

Butterfly a small jack or ladyfish - float it under a balloon 100 feet offshore and catch yourself a shark or two.  Then decide what you need.

If you still feel you need the extra capacity of the 50# braid, it is more than enough.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

Lol. A blacktip wouldn't take 380 yards in freespool...

• rileypilotrileypilot SE Florida, USPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    i wouldnt use braid for blacktips. Mono or Flouro (Probably mono) would be best. The blacktips really like to jump etc. and head shakes are super violent. My bet is that mono would land you more fish due to its stretch which acts like a cushion to the headshakes. A blacktip wont spool you wil 15-20 lb test mono. I wouldnt go below around 15 lb test but you should be fine with mono and save a ton of money.----- If you prefer braid, then of course thats fine for blacktips and most fish that swim in the ocean. They wont come close to spoolingyou.
    Thanks a Mil guys! 

Family members down in Pompano said they saw numerous Blacktips swimming up to the sand today. Looks like the sharks are making their way down there. 
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
    i wouldnt use braid for blacktips. Mono or Flouro (Probably mono) would be best. The blacktips really like to jump etc. and head shakes are super violent. My bet is that mono would land you more fish due to its stretch which acts like a cushion to the headshakes. A blacktip wont spool you wil 15-20 lb test mono. I wouldnt go below around 15 lb test but you should be fine with mono and save a ton of money.----- If you prefer braid, then of course thats fine for blacktips and most fish that swim in the ocean. They wont come close to spoolingyou.
    Everyone in the world uses braid mainline for blacktips off the beach dude. 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    You can stop a truck with 50# braid, i would think that should be plenty.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 553 Officer
    edited March 2018 #13
    I catch 4-6ft blacktips, lemons, and occasionally a bull all the **** time on a 7ft Falcon 12-25lb rod with a Stradic 5000 reel loaded with 20lb braid and a 50lb flouro leader.  I'm not fishing for them, just catching them.

Also catch them a little easier on a 15-40lb custom rod with Saragossa 6000 reel and 50lb braid but the lighter outfit gets it done too.  Only had to crank the motor to run one down once.... big lemon. 
  • uniemaiauniemaia jakartaPosts: 7 Greenhorn
    interesting thread, I also have the same question
  • GeeTeeGeeTee Boca RatonPosts: 186 Deckhand
    Even 50lb is sufficient. I too use braid and unless your drag is completely loose 300 yards is a ton of line, unless you cast 200yards like some of the guys i`ve talked on the beach lol. I would however tie at least 8ft of 80-100lb mono onto your braid, then tie your 4ft wire leader on. I wanna go and catch some tippers next weekend for sure.
    Thanks for the post GeeTee, and Thankyou for the advice on the mono and wire leader! Is there a specific hook you prefer for blacktips?

Great luck on your fishing next weekend man!
  • MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 70 Deckhand
    Use a wire leader at least as long as the sharks you plan on catching. Even 80-100lb I've had big sharks chafe through with There tail

Everybody gets one

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    We've caught 8-10 ft sharks on 60 and 80# mono leaders with circle hooks - no chafe issues so far.  Also don;t catch a lot of them - when we hook a shark we typically break em off.
  • Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 158 Deckhand
    50lb braid to 8-10ft 80lb monoleader, slider weight with a splitshot or something to stop it 2 feet up from your haywire to number 9 wire and a 8-10/0 octopus circle. Have another rod set up with a pompano type rig to catch a whtiing or jack or even a catfish. cut the head off, throw a few chummer peices out and hook the body with the guts coming out. sometimes I paddle it out in my small kayak but its not really necessary. you will get bit, adjust the hook size if you are having trouble keeping the hook set. 
    Not saying you can't catch them on mono leaders(caught many on just mono) but when your strictly targeting big sharks fighting them on heavy tackle lots of drag I'd rather have that tail rub on wire instead of mono. Have a lot of customers that like catching big sharks can't be losing them after a long battle

Everybody gets one

• GeeTeeGeeTee Boca RatonPosts: 186 Deckhand
    Thanks for the post GeeTee, and Thankyou for the advice on the mono and wire leader! Is there a specific hook you prefer for blacktips?

I know a lot of guys prefer a longer piece of wire and i agree however, your wire can only be as long as your casting drop is going to be at most. You cant wind the wire through your guides if you're casting. If you`re dropping with a kayak then i`go 8ft wire and probably a minimum of 200lbs or size 9 wire. 8-12/0 circle hook or double j-hooks 10/0 mustad big game or hoodlum depending on size of bait. If wanting to get a bigger bait out without kayaking use the sliding method or slide lining method. It works really well. There is a FB page for it, Slide Lining USA, this guy explains it perfectly. https://www.facebook.com/matthew.stahura/videos/1707276819345258/?t=6

• Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,923 Admin
    With the right tackle and technique you dont need heavy gear.  On the flats we catch lots of 4'-5' Blacktips on 3500 Penn Spinfishers,  10lb braid, small trace of wire and circle hooks.  The key is before they spool you stop putting pressure on them and they will stop dead.  You can wade and buy back your line then drag them back to shore.  Lots of fun for catch and release.  
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

edited March 2018 #23
    GeeTee, that was a very cool video to watch man!

After watching it, I wanted to find some detailed information on that whole Slide Baiting technique. I found a step by step write-up on this page:

http://slidebaitfishing.com/aboutus.sc

• dcrdcr Posts: 365 Deckhand
    GeeTee said:

I know a lot of guys prefer a longer piece of wire and i agree however, your wire can only be as long as your casting drop is going to be at most. You cant wind the wire through your guides if you're casting. If you`re dropping with a kayak then i`go 8ft wire and probably a minimum of 200lbs or size 9 wire. 8-12/0 circle hook or double j-hooks 10/0 mustad big game or hoodlum depending on size of bait. If wanting to get a bigger bait out without kayaking use the sliding method or slide lining method. It works really well. There is a FB page for it, Slide Lining USA, this guy explains it perfectly. https://www.facebook.com/matthew.stahura/videos/1707276819345258/?t=6

Here's an Aussie website I found for slide lining rigs
    http://slidebaitfishing.com/Slider-Fishing-Set-Combo-pack-PKCB0001.htm?productId=7
  • dcrdcr Posts: 365 Deckhand
    edited March 2018 #25
    Sorry, my link dupes the one above.  Great minds think alike ;)
    This morning I ordered some of the setups.