Another Rookie Question Big Bend Pro's

Really 2 questions..
622 Yards offshore of the end of Beach Road at Adams Beach leading to Keyton Beach it looks like a Tectonic Plate shift. .Fault line . It runs North almost to Yates Creek landing. What the heck is it. How deep is it there ?
# 2 Oysters , Ya'll ever get any ? Are they small **** Oysters or any good size to them ?
I get them down here in the Glades but you really have to Cull to get any size...What say you ?
Thanks !

Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,286 Officer
    edited February 24 #2
    You’re no “captain”. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,555 Admiral
    I am down here..
    Run you to Bimini by First Light, West End by Noon. 
    Buttonwood Bay in the far Glades Backcountry..First light , Negative Tide...No Problem.
    Now, Dang it..What is that line and how many Fathoms under the Stern..
    Don't make me come up there.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,457 Moderator
    Nuttin , just a line on a map and shallow . Back in some creeks up that way the oysters look of decent size ?
    I've never tried collecting any but caught a few throwing a 1/8' jighead and not paying attention.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,286 Officer
    I’m just a simple “officer”. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,755 Captain
    The past couple times out fishing north of Yankeetown there were two oyster boats filling there boats using those big tongs with long handles. There are lots of oyster bars up there!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,853 Captain
    I think it's either a prop scar or just some noise on the satellite imagery.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 2,900 Captain
    Buddy of mine has always got his oysters south of Pepperfish
    I bought some oysters in steinhatchee once that were said to me from cedar key ? They were super muddy and we had to wash them. My friend said they were some of the best he ever had. I think they came from somewhere real close..
  • waterdipperwaterdipper Posts: 47 Greenhorn

Unfortunately, oyster harvesting in Taylor county is not legal. The closest legal waters are in St. Marks to the NW and south of Pepperfish in Dixie County. That being said, people illegally oyster in the creeks in Taylor county. However,  they are risking both a fine from FWC and also getting sick from eating oysters from an area that is not monitored for oyster illness prevention. Also, if you buy oysters you should buy them from a reputable seafood dealer , not some guy peddling them out of the back of their truck which is illegal.

• swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 278 Deckhand
    To answer question 1 the limestone underneath North Florida does not follow the surface contour. If you could lift up the sand and clay you would see ridges and valleys in the limestone. What you may be seeing is a weathered limestone ridge at the surface. 
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 278 Deckhand
    As to plate shift there is earthquakes in the Caribbean. I was in a 6.4 on Grand Cayman. 

Also, if you buy oysters you should buy them from a reputable seafood dealer , not some guy peddling them out of the back of their truck which is illegal.

It was from a seafood place on the south side of the river ?  He isn't open anymore.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,555 Admiral
    Thanks Swamp Monster..Thats kinda what I think it is too.
    Too shallow for any fishing use but you never know..
    Pretty amazing that Indian Burial spot they just found offshore up that way.
    My Hunting Pard lives up there and says there's more Arrowheads offshore than on dry ground.
    6000 years ago it was a different place for sure.