Pompano Beach - 18 February 2018

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,583 Captain
edited February 21 in General Paddle Craft #1

18 Feb 2018 Pompano Beach - This was the last day of a 3 day calm period. I had been out 2 days earlier, and it was slow, catching and releasing 2 barracuda for a full day of fishing. I launched off the beach at 5am in search of goggle eye bait. Bait fishing had been slow, and continued to be, only took 1 gog along the beach and then headed out deeper to look for runners.
Metered plenty of runners, but getting them to bite was difficult. By 730am, I had only 5 baits in the live well, and it was time to switch from bait fishing to fish catching before the prime time bite was over. By 9am, I had burned through 4 of the 5 baits, producing 1 missed bite, a nice Black Grouper, Amberjack and Barracuda.

A Black Grouper is a rare catch for me. Even though it was an out of season mandatory release, It made my day ! Not sure where my smile went when the camera shutter clicked, but that catch alone gave the day a sense of fulfillment :)

The amberjack ate my 1 live goggle eye on the surface troll in 140 ft of water. It did not head for nearby wrecks,and having taken nice Blackfin at the same exact location, I was salivating for sushi before it made it up to color -- LOL, it was a spoiler.

I seem to be a Barracuda magnet.

The last runner was little, and would have been perfect for a small Mahi Mahi. A few kayak barely keeper Mahi had been taken a day earlier, so I was hoping to find Mahi while I went out deep vertical jigging for Blackfin Tuna. I peddled out to 400ft and started jigging while gradually working my way in shallower. I spent a good while on a rockpile in 280ft that frequently produces fish. For three hours of vertical jigging, I missed 3 strikes. One was hooked just 20 ft below the kayak and was on long enough for be to tell it was a tuna, but dinner was not to be.
Tired of jigging, I trolled the last bait back in to 100 ft where it was inhaled by another Barracuda.

Having only taken fish on live bait, I again tried to entice some runners to bite. Even using baited hooks, They had lock jaw. Instead , I caught a colorful Wrasse.

After unsuccessfully trying to catch more bait, I headed out for 1 last shot at vertical jigging. The wind had kicked up, it was a little bumpy. Sometimes the wind will blow in a weedline loaded with baits that get the predators biting. That was not the case. After another hour of unsuccessful vertical jigging, I headed in and called it a day.** ** All fish were released****, pity the grouper was out of season :(

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,719 Admiral

Wow you are slaying them. The Grouper is an awesome sight! Thanks for sharing. By the way what kind of camera setup are you using? If mounted on your yak, what mounts and all for the setup. I have got to step up and get a way to take better pictures of my catch!

Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,583 Captain
    edited February 21 #3

@Spineyman said:
    By the way what kind of camera setup are you using? If mounted on your yak, what mounts and all for the setup. I have got to step up and get a way to take better pictures of my catch!

Thanks. I use Gopro's. I have not tried the 5 or 6, and my experience with the 4's has been bad -- lots of jittery footage and eat the batteries quickly. I like the 3+ black with a battery extension running in 1080P loop mode so that I can try to catch the strike before it occurs. 1 Cam clamped on my flag pole. A second cam fwd in the Hobie sail mast mount --a home made PVC/ scotty mount connection to a telescoping pole. The best out of box camera mount is probably the Railblaza Camera Boom 600 -- never owned one, but the results of others look awesome.

@John McKroid said:

@Spineyman said:
    By the way what kind of camera setup are you using? If mounted on your yak, what mounts and all for the setup. I have got to step up and get a way to take better pictures of my catch!

Thanks. I use Gopro's. I have not tried the 5 or 6, and my experience with the 4's has been bad -- lots of jittery footage and eat the batteries quickly. I like the 3+ black with a battery extension running in 1080P loop mode so that I can try to catch the strike before it occurs. 1 Cam clamped on my flag pole. A second cam fwd in the Hobie sail mast mount --a home made PVC/ scotty mount connection to a telescoping pole. The best out of box camera mount is probably the **Railblaza Camera Boom 600 **-- never owned one, but the results of others look awesome.

Thanks for the information. But how in the world do you snap a single picture, like for instance the Grouper picture. When you have that slippery beast in your hands/ How do you hit the button to take the picture? I just so happen to have a little fujifilm XP90 camera I want to try and use. We got it for snapping water pictures of our grand kids and believe it or not it takes pretty good, clear crisp pictures, and not bad video as well. I just have to get a great mount to start off with!

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• ReelHazardReelHazard Posts: 111 Deckhand
    Awesome post and great catches all around! and in a kayak...I've never catch a black grouper but hope we get to see some of those up in my area (Jupiter), especially when season opens! I see mostly reds...

Spineyman, some GoPro's have voice command and you can literally tell them "Gopro take picture". In my case, I have a Gopro Session (the cube one) and what I do is that I film most of the day and then take snap pictures out of the video. They come out great. 
    I didn’t even know you could get stills out of a video. You know they say older people are electronically challenged.

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,502 Captain
    Great day and good post.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,267 Moderator
    I really enjoy your reports my friend! Even though I get the spoilers on Facebook, thank you for taking the time to post a thorough report here for us desk jockeys to salivate over!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    Spineyman said:

Thanks for the information. But how in the world do you snap a single picture, like for instance the Grouper picture. When you have that slippery beast in your hands/ How do you hit the button to take the picture? I just so happen to have a little fujifilm XP90 camera I want to try and use. We got it for snapping water pictures of our grand kids and believe it or not it takes pretty good, clear crisp pictures, and not bad video as well. I just have to get a great mount to start off with!

I put the forward camera in time lapse photography mode prior to pulling the black grouper out of the water.  Often I will take still frames out of the 1080P footage.  The go pro 5 and 6 have voice commands for taking photos.  I have a fuji XP70 -- very similar to the one you have, and would not consider it for video, because of rapid battery consumption.  I use that camera for ruler shots.  The wide angle lens of the go pro cameras are ideal for catching the action, plus make fish look bigger.  
    Awesome post and great catches all around! and in a kayak...I've never catch a black grouper but hope we get to see some of those up in my area (Jupiter), especially when season opens! I see mostly reds...

Thanks.  Any grouper is a rare catch in my area.  I have heard that grouper fishing is much better off Stuart.  Good luck and Look forward to seeing your future catches.

I put the forward camera in time lapse photography mode prior to pulling the black grouper out of the water.  Often I will take still frames out of the 1080P footage.  The go pro 5 and 6 have voice commands for taking photos.  I have a fuji XP70 -- very similar to the one you have, and would not consider it for video, because of rapid battery consumption.  I use that camera for ruler shots.  The wide angle lens of the go pro cameras are ideal for catching the action, plus make fish look bigger.  
    I am not necessarily going to keep using this camera but was going to give it a shot. That plus i don't want to spend what a go pro costs at this time. I can get used to the cheapo and move up later Constant action video wasn't on my mind either.

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 608 Officer
    great report and thanks for sharing! Bet that groupers was a tussle from the yak!!
    we need more internet money