Sebastian Inlet Kayaking Questions

There's a group of us coming down the last week of September and staying 2 miles south of the Sebastian Inlet. I've watched the video's of the chaos that ensues on the Jetty's, not a fan of the crowds. Wasn't sure if anyone has kayaked west of the bridge or just inside the bridge. Looks like the current is quite fast given the washing machine effect. So I have a few questions:

How close have you safely gotten to the bridge/inlet?
What about the area just outside the inlet on the ocean side?
How are the flats to the south and around Pelican National Park?

I realize the fishing is dependent upon the tidal movements. Hoping to catch part of the mullet run too. Just trying to figure out if it's worth trying to drift to and through the bridge at the inlet.

Thanks

Replies

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,034 Officer

IMO, you can kayak on the inside and on the outside at most any time - to kayak inside the inlet, you will want to restrict yourself to still periods - high & low tide. To kayak the inlet when the tide is ripping thru is taking unnecessary risks.

September should coincide with mullet run. The fish exist inside the river too, and along the beaches. I'll be fishing the beaches some in a kayak this summer - once the bait shows.

The surf fishermen tend to throw jigs and sinkers at the boaters - if you go thru too close, they will snag you. Place got shut down last year or year before cause some idiot on the rocks about cut a guy in a boat's finger off with braid - intentionally.

• TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 559 Officer

Yeah, I've been reading about some of the issues with the crowds at the jetty's. Not interested, will go at night in hopes the crowds aren't there or at least greatly reduced.

Forgot to mention I have paddle kayaks, not pedal, so my hands will be busy either fighting fish or paddling to stay away from the rocks.

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,583 Captain

I did a trip offshore in Sebastian once. The best place to launch the day I went was just south of the inlet, the inlet rocks provided a bit of a lee, and a smaller surf to have to kayak through. Atlantic bumper were an easy bait to catch on a sabiki rig. Fishing wise I caught some small croakers and a lot of sharks. The inlet has strong current, fast transiting boats, aggressive shore anglers, and generally an unsafe place to try to kayak fish.

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 608 Officer
    I grew up fishing the area and would be leary to kayak east of the bridge unless on very slow tides.

there are coquina ridges from the mouth of the inlet south however that could be very interesting to fish from a kayak.

also the sebastian river is a great kayak spot
    we need more internet money
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 559 Officer
    I'm gonna guess that coquina ridges are similar to oyster bars???  I've looked that area via google maps and it looks like there are some deeper holes just west of the bridge.  Also looks like there is a reef line that runs parallel to the beach.  I'm hoping that some of the docks on the inside area will have lights to fish at night.  Not from the dock, but from the yak.  Thanks...