big mango hunt offshore st pete

Decided to do a trip offshore for some mangos late morning, into the evening. Got to the dock around 11am and headed to the bait spot and loaded up after about an hr. I decided to head to 130' to try it out and nothing but ARS. Like, 100's and not ONE mango. A spot we've easily limited out on many times, so we headed in a few more miles and tried 120' and tons of ARS but we managed a few mangos and some nice sized lanes and a 20" scamp. Mangos were smaller than expected and not worth weeding through the tons of ARS so i decided to plug in to 105'. First 10-15 drops produced noting but ARS again so my hopes dropped again. Then the first mango plopped aboard and she was a nice 20"er so there was hope. Probably caught 10 ARS to every mango but the was much better so we plugged away. Left a big pinfish out freelined and was only getting ajs on it..no tuna though which are usually thick on new moons. We did however catch about 5-6 big mangos on the freelined bait after i switched to cigar minnows. We plugged away until 2:30 am and got a lot of nice mangos and decided it was WAAAY past our time to head(i had to work at 10am) in so we wrapped it up and started to trek in. Fog got ridiculously thick and luckily we had radar. Baits used were frozen dines, live pinfish, pigfish and sardines.

Replies

• CaptCozzaCaptCozza Posts: 46 Greenhorn

Nice box of fish there!

• drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,326 Officer

Nice trip.

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,824 Captain

Great lookin cooler

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Mako224Mako224 Posts: 459 Deckhand

Very nice. I fished Thursday night to late Friday Morning. Managed one Lane and two Mangos. Yes plenty of ARS. We started in 90 feet and worked out to 115. The fog was think as soup and very wet. We stayed put for most of the night due to the fog. Current was ripping all night. Made chumming very tough. Glad you got it done.

• NitzeyNitzey Posts: 164 Deckhand

We just moved to St Pete from Pensacola, and so I need to ask, Mangrove Snapper? Which we call black snapper in Pensacola? (don't ask me why?)
    Great catch, and biggest lane snapper I have ever seen. Good job.

• clarosaclarosa Posts: 577 Officer

@Nitzey said:
    We just moved to St Pete from Pensacola, and so I need to ask, Mangrove Snapper? Which we call black snapper in Pensacola? (don't ask me why?)

Yea, up there they are called black snapper but their common name is gray or mangrove snapper. I call them mango's for short.

@Mako224 said:
    Very nice. I fished Thursday night to late Friday Morning. Managed one Lane and two Mangos. Yes plenty of ARS. We started in 90 feet and worked out to 115. The fog was think as soup and very wet. We stayed put for most of the night due to the fog. Current was ripping all night. Made chumming very tough. Glad you got it done.

Yea, the current was nuts....only thing more crazy was the fog. I don't think I have ever worked that hard for a cooler of fish.

• Mako224Mako224 Posts: 459 Deckhand

Still great way to fight through the ARS to land a cooler full. My trip was a humbling one. Just when you think you have it all figured out. The good news is there are plenty of days left this year for redemption.

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,687 Captain

@Nitzey said:

I agree! A beautiful Lane Snapper! 😳

Welcome to Tampa Bay Nitzey

God, save the South!
  • ptagptag Posts: 23 Greenhorn

Nice trip. Did you fish the new moon at night, because you find new moon fishing to be better at night, or is that just the time that you could fit it into your schedule?
    ptag

• releasegearreleasegear Posts: 708 Officer

way to go. we did a over nighter too.Same ARS problem. moved 3 times from 105 -120..swarmed , non stop. had them chummed up to surface at first spot :( Going to have to find some new mang spots.. ill post report

bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'

@ptag said:
    Nice trip. Did you fish the new moon at night, because you find new moon fishing to be better at night, or is that just the time that you could fit it into your schedule?
    ptag

Well my plans were to fish until night but the crappy bite made us fish MUCH later than expected. New moon's usually have a REALLY good snapper bite right before dark but the only snapper that were biting were of the Red variety.

@releasegear said:
    way to go. we did a over nighter too.Same ARS problem. moved 3 times from 105 -120..swarmed , non stop. had them chummed up to surface at first spot :( Going to have to find some new mang spots.. ill post report

Yes...I feel the same. It's ridiculous...I used to be able to go out to any of my spots and do really well on mango's and now I am clueless as to what to do to get away from the ARS Can't get away from them from 70' on out to 180'. I mean, anything a mango eats, a red snapper will eat. It's a conundrum.

• releasegearreleasegear Posts: 708 Officer

yeah its a beat down. they dont even slow up once it gets dark like they use to..lol. Only good thing was with the cold water i didn't need to vent them. (2or3 tops)

bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'