Home Off Topic

New SNAP proposal

1235»

Replies

• NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    It took a **** spam to bring back this thread. It was semi political at the time but the moderators have less tolerance now. Let's see what happens. I think that green card holders (citizens in the making) should not be entitled to benefits.
    Give a man a taxpayer provided fish, you feed him for a day.
    Deport a man and you will never have to feed him again.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,198 AG

Warning Level 2
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,822 Admin
    No problem with this thread, as long as we don't get into the right-left, Republican-Democrat bickering. Discussion of taxes, policy, the military, etc. are fine as long as we avoid the political sniping.
    And if you like, you could even discuss fishing....
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,198 AG
    Fishing, you say?

The most abundant and easiest fish to catch up here are red snapper and triggerfish, but both of those species are closed because the government says they're underpopulated and overfished.

So here we are.  
    Warning Level 2
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,714 AG
    There are two ways to lower the cost of SNAP and give the taxpayers more bang for the buck spent. O ne is to eliminate all these programs and just give a cash benefit to any family below 120% of poverty to bring them up to that level. It would save money, but the recipients would likely waste the cash.

Second, instead of worrying about what they buy, worry about where they buy. I take food stamps at my store because every convenience store does and i would lose customers who buy other items if I did not take their food stamps. 

Eliminate all convenience stores from the program and only allow SNAP to be used at large grocery stores. It is a waste of the benefit for a participant to go to a convenience store to buy their kids breakfast and lunch. i have seen people spend $20 of sodas and chips and crap that they could have got at Publix (by buying one large bag and a 2 liter or 12pk) for $10. 

my 2c

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    That's a very good idea, Cad.  I completely agree.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,026 Admiral
    Me too..
    Of course the Seafood place in Perry Fl. would sell a lot less Crabs and Shrimp...this I know for fact...dang shame they can sell for EBT..It fact it should be a Crime..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,609 AG
    But what about the widowed grandma who lives one block from a gas station but 50 miles from the nearest grocery store?

Captain Todd Approves

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,026 Admiral
    Yea , All 3 of them in the entire USA...let them eat cake..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,714 AG
    mplspug said:
    But what about the widowed grandma who lives one block from a gas station but 50 miles from the nearest grocery store?
    I meant to add an exception and forgot. The only way a convenience store could get permission would be if they were the only store within a 10 mile radius and there is no grocery store offering delivery to that location. Even though at some point Amazon or Walmart or somebody will offer delivery of groceries to almost anyplace in the US and eliminate that need. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,609 AG
    Thank you for the clarification.  I was worried about grandma.

Captain Todd Approves