Home Off Topic

New SNAP proposal

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited February 2018 #92

@mustang190 said:
    Amazing how this devolves into a successful people are the evil ones! And I don’t mean the richest of people either.

I'm sorry, who said rich people are evil?

As far as tarponators rant, in my opinion there are no “poor” people in this country.
    Unlike tarponator I have been to countries where there are real poor people! Being poor here means you can only afford 3G’s not5! Or KFC not Outback Steakhouse!

Would you like to compare Passports?

I don’t see Americans rooting around in a garbage dump looking for scraps.

Oddly enough, in the countries where people are forced to do that, it hasn't resulted in less poverty.

I guess that tough love just wasn't tough enough, huh?

Maybe you should put down the cocktails at the yacht club and take a look around at the fraud and abuse that is there that I and others see every day.

Sure you do. All those abusers being able to buying candy and soft drinks....oh, the horror.

Now, go get me a fresh drink & all that evidence you have of fraud...

....and have a nice evening...Mike

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,027 Admiral

I can't believe some of the BS on this thread. Some of the usual suspects have such dehumanizing views of their fellow United States citizens. It's shameful.

Disabilities aside if someone can't figure out how to feed themselves and their children within 2 years they don't deserve to eat. Self sufficiency is power. The only reason welfare exists is to feed government and not themselves. Hell look at North Korea. You want to eat? Well kiss the supreme leaders **** or else. Now we have clowns on this forum wanting the same for their own people. Welfare is slavery plain and simple. The government does not want sufficient people. Look at the laws and local codes that reduce or eliminate that ability.

We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,545 Admiral

I saw a family in Sam's Club buy a huge birthday cake. It was around $75 if my memory is correct. They paid for it with a snap card.

There's another scam going on in my city. My grand daughter works at one of the Indian curb stores so I know of it. The food stamp people will go to Walmart & buy multiple cases of soda with their card & sell them to the stores at a reduced price for cash.

• Knight9598Knight9598 MrrayPosts: 11 Greenhorn

this is not bad idea

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral

Why do the liberals equate some accountability in the food stamp program with "not feeding the poor".

We need poor folks to learn how to succeed. You don't learn to succeed by being fed like a stray cat. You must be taught to succeed.

Basic. Healthy. Food.
    Stop having kids you can't support.
    Get a job.
    Become a consumer.

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,027 Admiral

@GA Fin said:
    Why do the liberals equate some accountability in the food stamp program with "not feeding the poor".

We need poor folks to learn how to succeed. You don't learn to succeed by being fed like a stray cat. You must be taught to succeed.

The poor succeeding is the worst nightmare of elitists. The hypocrisy is miles deep. Just look at this thread. Not one of the usual suspects is talking about raising up their fellow Americans. You stray cat analogy is perfect. You'll throw them scraps that you're not willing to eat, but you wont bring them into your house, keep them warm, and feed them at your table. It's disgusting

We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,977 AG
    edited February 2018 #98

@stc1993 said:
    I saw a family in Sam's Club buy a huge birthday cake. It was around $75 if my memory is correct. They paid for it with a snap card.

There's another scam going on in my city. My grand daughter works at one of the Indian curb stores so I know of it. The food stamp people will go to Walmart & buy multiple cases of soda with their card & sell them to the stores at a reduced price for cash.

You must be wrong. There's no fraud going on. Just people trying to make it hard times.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,277 AG

@GA Fin said:

@Soda Popinski said:
    well when she said she wanted to be a professional musician I almost crapped my pants. Now she understands get a good job, get a great career, and you can pursue things like that in your spare time. And when you've got a great job at a great company, you get to have spare time to pursue those things.

I said the same things to my daughters.

Good dads think alike.

Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG

Says the person who put his dad in a nursing home and watched him die instead of keeping him at home where he would watch over him and comfort him.

POS

The internet is a safe place for cowards like you. Say whatever you want with no consequences. > @dave44 said:

@mplspug said:
    Ok, we all need to agree to clean up our quoted text. I could follow the last couple of dozen replies on my phone because there were so many multiple quotes , every reply was several scrolled screens long.

Yes! I have started cleaning up the quotes from quotes of quotes. It seems like a bit of overkill to keep rehashing the original quote when it has progressed to something entirely different.

It's just part of the beauty of the new platform!

Vote for the other candidate
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,587 AG

It's not the platform, it's lazy users.

Captain Todd Approves

edited February 2018 #102

@Mister-Jr said:

Says the person who put his dad in a nursing home and watched him die instead of keeping him at home where he would watch over him and comfort him.

POS

The internet is a safe place for cowards like you. Say whatever you want with no consequences. > @dave44 said:

@mplspug said:
    Ok, we all need to agree to clean up our quoted text. I could follow the last couple of dozen replies on my phone because there were so many multiple quotes , every reply was several scrolled screens long.

Yes! I have started cleaning up the quotes from quotes of quotes. It seems like a bit of overkill to keep rehashing the original quote when it has progressed to something entirely different.

It's just part of the beauty of the new platform!

The truth hurts doesn't it, Mister.
    Your true colors were exposed when you posted that.

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG

@Resinhead said:
    The truth hurts doesn't it, Mister.
    Your true colors were exposed when you posted that.

I'm going to suggest you leave my father out of this conversation.

Vote for the other candidate
    edited February 2018 #104

The comment was about you and your hypocritical actions.

@treemanjohn said:
    Some of the usual suspects have such dehumanizing views of their fellow United States citizens. It's shameful.

Disabilities aside if someone can't figure out how to feed themselves and their children within 2 years they don't deserve to eat.

Oh, the irony.

edited February 2018 #106

@GA Fin said:

Perhaps you might point out where anyone said such a thing.

Or answer the question why conservatives make stuff up.

Basic. Healthy. Food.
    Stop having kids you can't support.
    Get a job.
    Become a consumer.

Hmmmm....

By forcing people to eat canned and boxed food, like you suggested in your first post in this thread, you're essentially feeding them like a stray cat. Is that really what you meant?

Are you unaware of the work requirements for EBT?

And how does replacing a program that allows them to purchase and consume food with a program that sends them boxed/canned food teach them to become a consumer? It seems to me to be precisely the opposite.

Curiously yours....Mike

• finbullyfinbully Posts: 771 Officer

The delivery system sounds okay. I mean if you need public assistance, do you really have the means to go shopping?

• FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    I clicked on the  "best of..." tab and this doozy of a thread popped up.  :)    
    edited March 2018 #109
    Cyclist said:

Fraud in the system is minimal. 

Yup... sure is.
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 586 Officer

@mplspug said:

@Tarponator said:

@Soda Popinski said:
    And soda. Why in the hell is soda allowed to be bought with ebt cards??? 100% juice or NOTHING!!!

Brilliant! Poor people shouldn't get to enjoy Coke, they should be drinking only Tropicana!

Cynicism aside, I find it curious how enthusiastic some are to take things away from those they look down upon.

I guess they haven't earned it yet and should all just try harder, right?

It's called tough love. It makes people better.

I'm sure the average widowed grandmother EBT recipient appreciates your caring.

Nice try on the re-direct Tarpon.  You know he was not talking about a widowed grandmother.  But hey we all like a little red herring with our whine.
    It wasn't a redirect.  It was simply pointing out that grandparents are caught in the conservative crossfire of tough love.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,637 AG
    mplspug said:

There is a quote setting under your profile page. change it to one and all you will see is the last quote, It makes reading easier. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,384 Admiral
    edited September 2018 #113

@Soda Popinski said:
    And soda. Why in the hell is soda allowed to be bought with ebt cards??? 100% juice or NOTHING!!!

Brilliant! Poor people shouldn't get to enjoy Coke, they should be drinking only Tropicana!

Cynicism aside, I find it curious how enthusiastic some are to take things away from those they look down upon.

I guess they haven't earned it yet and should all just try harder, right?

Honestly I don't care if they enough their meals or not.  The purpose is to feed, not entertain their taste buds.

The logic for me is quite simple:

1) people who can't afford their own food can't afford their own healthcare 

2) quality of food and health are absolutely statistically linked

3) if my money is paying for their food and their healthcare, they can at least be healthy in order to minimize my cost

It is that simple.  Donuts, soda, chips, etc should be off the menu with SNAP.  I don't need to be paying for diabetes treatment in addition to their food and general healthcare.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,799 Admiral

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,384 Admiral
    edited September 2018 #115
    Gardawg said:

Odd that Medicaid isn't on the list.

Edit

574 billion annually.  There are 275 million adults, assuming we are all paying equal amounts (which we aren't) my math is $2,260 per person.  We don't want to reduce that by promoting healthy eating why exactly?

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    Please post the definition of subsidy used to categorize a corporate subsidy. 

Tarponator said:
    It wasn't a redirect.  It was simply pointing out that grandparents are caught in the conservative crossfire of tough love.
    Conservative?  You broke the OT rule.

And grandma and grandpa are no different.  Grandma and Grandpa should appreciate the help.   

Captain Todd Approves

• Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 586 Officer

What bothers me more is he's sincere.

If he works and pays taxes that are used to provide this benefit then he is entitle to an opinion on it.  You can be "bothered" by it but you are allowed to have your own opinion as well.  Two different beliefs about benefit application.  Each has some validity. 
    mplspug said:

Tarponator said:

And grandma and grandpa are no different.  Grandma and Grandpa should appreciate the help.   
    Are rules applied retroactively?

Please try a bit harder. :)

What bothers me more is he's sincere.

If he works and pays taxes that are used to provide this benefit then he is entitle to an opinion on it.  You can be "bothered" by it but you are allowed to have your own opinion as well.  Two different beliefs about benefit application.  Each has some validity. 
    Nobody said he wasn’t allowed to have an opinion or that it was invalid, but thanks for the response. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,070 Admiral
    It took a **** spam to bring back this thread. It was semi political at the time but the moderators have less tolerance now. Let's see what happens. I think that green card holders (citizens in the making) should not be entitled to benefits.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

mplspug said:

Tarponator said:

Are rules applied retroactively?

Please try a bit harder. :)
    So close! Surprised you didn't get it.  Or am I? 

Captain Todd Approves