this flu season

frankfrank Posts: 12,720 AG

someone in our office spouse passed away from complications to the flu
not an elderly person or a very young person, wow
never heard of so many people not in the usual risk groups dying from the flu in America

guess I'm too young to remember, but this does seem unusual doesn't it?

No political signature

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,337 Captain

It is worse than I have ever heard of.

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,512 Captain

Worst in years...and may be worst in 100years??
    Sad, but I fear a epidemic like the flu wiping out 1/4 population more than terrorism!

• mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,435 Admiral
    edited February 13 #4

The swine (I think) flu about 10 years ago I believe was worse or the same. I knew a guy in his 30s who was put into an induced coma. He had a lot of work to recover after it as well. He probably was down and out for a couple months. I don't remember how long he was in a coma, maybe a week or two.

Captain Todd Approves

• Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,835 Captain

We've been avoided crowds, and the public in general.

Even with flu shots, these bugs are dangerous to everyone.

Some folks are wearing masks everywhere they go.

Can hardly blame them.

The usual end to "the season" might not happen.

( Or so the medical professionals are saying. )

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,518 Admiral

Terrible flu season. wash your hands when you go out in public and don't touch your face.

I didn't get a flu shot, haven't gotten it yet. But i know people who have and it knocked them down for weeks... seriously weeks.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Terrible flu season. wash your hands when you go out in public and don't touch your face.

I didn't get a flu shot, haven't gotten it yet. But i know people who have and it knocked them down for weeks... seriously weeks.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,473 Officer

I work in two different ER's, and the amount of people checking in w/ flu-like symptoms is very high. The waiting rooms, and hallways are full of people wearing masks. Some docs aren't even doing flu tests anymore, and just treating most like they have the flu. Tamiflu is out of stock in many pharmacies.

What gets me, is mom or dad will come to the ER w/ some minor complaint (sprained ankle, small laceration, headache, etc...), and bring the whole family. Some get offended when we only let the dad in the ER, and turn the family away because we don't want them exposed to the flu.

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,747 Captain
    edited February 13 #9

In 1918, 50 million people died from the flu... 675,000 in this country. "Spanish Flu" it was called.

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj

@mindyabiness said:
    In 1918, 50 million people died in this country from influenza. "Spanish Flu" it was called.

I didn't think the population in this country was 50 million back in 1918

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,777 AG

Me and my wife were out with some strain of this flu from last Wednesday until today. 103 fever, chills, aches the entire nine yards. Aspirin, herbal tea and tons of water. UGH.

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,747 Captain

@Soda Popinski said:

@mindyabiness said:
    In 1918, 50 million people died in this country from influenza. "Spanish Flu" it was called.

I didn't think the population in this country was 50 million back in 1918

About a 100 million...

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 7,017 Admiral

50 - 100 million died around the world and 500 million affected.

Article said about 3 percent of the worlds population. Even Remote islands and the arctic. That bug is probably still in the arctic waiting to get loose and chase somebody.

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,275 AG

If you are sick, get Tamiflu. It could literally save your life.

• mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,435 Admiral
    edited February 13 #15

I'm just happy the wife works from home. She does not have my SHIS (Super Human Immune System).

Captain Todd Approves

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,275 AG

It is bad but just enough alcohol must kill it and other ailments. Haven't been sick in many, many years.

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,377 Admiral

@mindyabiness said:
    In 1918, 50 million people died from the flu... 675,000 in this country. "Spanish Flu" it was called.

One reason it was so bad them is that our government didn't want it to be publicized because it was thought it would hurt the war effort.

My grandfather died in that epidemic.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 766 Officer

@micci_man said:
    It is bad but just enough alcohol must kill it and other ailments. Haven't been sick in many, many years.

How much is the magic number? Is 12 enough, 18 to much?