Anyone replaced the original thru Hull transducer with an up to date thru Hull transducer?

AuwhalerAuwhaler Posts: 25 Greenhorn

Looking to install a newer fish finder/GPS and do not want to get sidescan. I prefer to get a unit that would allow me to utilize a thru Hull transducer. Looking for someone who has experience replacing the thru Hull unit with a newer thru Hull unit that works with the new machines.

Thanks

Replies

• Vinny lVinny l Posts: 290 Deckhand

Call the tech line for the Finder/GPS unit you intend on using and ask for transducer rec's.

• AuwhalerAuwhaler Posts: 25 Greenhorn

Before I research a unit I was trying to find out how difficult it is to remove the thru Hull transducer installed at the Egret factory and then re-install a new thru Hull unit.

OO, sorry misunderstood. Mine is epoxied in so I figure if I wanted to remove it I'd call Frank at Egret to ask what he used and how do I get it off. When you say "Thru hull" do you mean a shoot through or an actual thru the hull transducer?

OO, sorry misunderstood. Mine is epoxied in so I figure if I wanted to remove it I'd call Frank at Egret to ask what he used and how do I get it off. When you say "Thru hull" do you mean a shoot thru or an actual thru the hull transducer?

• 91tiger91tiger Posts: 544 Officer

I have an Airmar chirp transducer in my 2011 that is a true through hull...in other words Frank had to cut a hole in the hull to mount it. I had it installed when I built the boat so no idea how hard it would be to remove the existing in hull transducer.

My transducer draws incredible images and reads at any speed and any depth I have run in. I fish for freshwater stripers a lot and can spot stripers sitting in the tops of flooded timber 60 to 80 feet down. I also can run at 45 mph and spot pods of bait, which is very useful whe scouting for fish.

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,228 Officer

@91tiger said:
    I have an Airmar chirp transducer in my 2011 that is a true through hull...in other words Frank had to cut a hole in the hull to mount it. I had it installed when I built the boat so no idea how hard it would be to remove the existing in hull transducer.

My transducer draws incredible images and reads at any speed and any depth I have run in. I fish for freshwater stripers a lot and can spot stripers sitting in the tops of flooded timber 60 to 80 feet down. I also can run at 45 mph and spot pods of bait, which is very useful whe scouting for fish.

It must be installed in the running pad? If not it will not work when the boat is running on the pad.

Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas

Renegade, that's a great point, because it definately reads when I'm running in the 60's. I always assumed Frank put it in the spot where the shoot thru hull was meant to go. You have me curious now where it actually is. I will take a look when I get back in town tomorrow night.

My current setup is a Garmin 4200 with a shoot thru the hull transducer. I would like to upgrade with a chirp unit but still shoot thru the hull. Is that possible? I do not want to put any holes in the hull.

I'm pretty sure Airmar makes a shoot thru chirp transducer. I would just call them and let them advise you on what you need.

@91tiger said:
    I'm pretty sure Airmar makes a shoot thru chirp transducer. I would just call them and let them advise you on what you need.

They do, in several different models.
    call (603) 673-9570

AIRMAR’s new in-hull CHIRP-ready transducers include patented Xducer ID® technology and
    are available in a variety of power and frequencies.
    P95M 300W Medium frequency (95-155 kHz) 26 to 17º beamwidth
    Depths to 600’
    P75M 600W Medium frequency (80-130 kHz) 24 to 16º beamwidth
    Depths to 900’
    M135M
    1kW Medium frequency (85 to 135 kHz) 16 to 11º beamwidth
    Depths to 1,500’
    M285HW 1kW High frequency (150 to 250 kHz) fixed 25º beam angle
    Depths to 500’
    M422 1.5kW Low frequency (47 to 52 kHz)
    High frequency (190 to 210 kHz)
    18º beamwidth
    5º beamwidth
    Depths to 3,0

I did replace the Garmin 4208 with the Garmin 94sv echo chirp.  Bass Pro had a great sale and by also using my Cabelas points it was $0.  I would love to replace the Airmar 79P shoot through the Hull unit with the P75M but when I called them they said Garmin had not updated their software to work with the P75M.
    What was your outcome?
    Update- I ended up replacing the Garmin 4208 with a Garmin 94sv echo chirp.  Bass Pro had a great sell and along with my Cabelas points which they honor a basically payed $0.  Anyway the shoot through the hole transducer I have is an Airmar P79 6 Pin.  The 94sv accepts a 12 pin transducer since it has sidescan and chirp.  I don’t really care about the sidescan feature.  I called Airmar and Garmin and Garmin has a conversion box that would give me the 12 pin out by removing the six pin connector and landing the necessary wires on a terminal in the conversion box.  Airmar has a shoot throu
    Still using  the P79  which works but does not give me the chirp feature of the 94sv.  HOping for Garmin to update the software so that I could change To the P75M and utilize the chirp feature.