The 7th Annual Great American Grunt Hunt

It's that time of year again. Good fun and food for the whole family, come on out and see who catches the biggest Grunt. There is an optional Hogfish category as well (hook and line!).
https://madeirabeachmarina.com/grunt-hunt

Replies

• m10renm10ren Posts: 109 Deckhand

22rd and 24th? :D :D :D

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,237 Admiral

Gotta work that saturday but i'm planning on going this year. Didn't last year and i wish i had.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 618 Officer

@m10ren said:
    22rd and 24th? :D :D :D

I'm pretty sure the 22nd is just the Captain's party. The fishing tournament & awards ceremony are on the 24th.

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,915 Moderator

Holy crap, Bryan, is that you? LOL, how are ya brother.
    That is correct, Captain's Party Thursday and fishing Saturday and awards and Fish-Fry in the afternoon.

• m10renm10ren Posts: 109 Deckhand

@BryanC said:

I'm pretty sure the 22nd is just the Captain's party. The fishing tournament & awards ceremony are on the 24th.

I was just kidding about the mistake on the flyer. "22RD"

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,441 AG

Can't believe it's been 7 years.

THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 618 Officer

@Reel-Lucky said:
    Holy crap, Bryan, is that you? LOL, how are ya brother.
    That is correct, Captain's Party Thursday and fishing Saturday and awards and Fish-Fry in the afternoon.

Still alive & kicking. Had some stellar gag fishing in late December. Haven't been out since. You up for grabbing a beer tonight?

Dang it, man. Any night but tonight. If I go out with you tonight for beers I'll be seeking divorce lawyer referrals.
    However, that sounds good, I can probably scrounge up Tommy, too. I'll be in touch and we'll make a plan.

• harbisonharbison Posts: 2,569 Captain
    Grunt fishing is so much fun for native & tourist alike:

Not to be overlooked:

And then...

Thanks for the kind words, Bob. We at Madeira Beach Marina take a lot of pride in our Great American Grunt Hunt, a great family party wrapped around a fishing tourney.

Come on out with your lens, would love  "Harbison coverage" of a very fun event, and the fish fry is second to none. And...I make a giant batch of my double secret tartar sauce for the feast, first come first serve. 

Thank you so much. I love Florida and Madeira Beach in particular, and for good reason. Things like the 'Great American Grunt Hunt' Is another great reason to take "pride" in not only Madeira Beach, but all of Florida. After all...fun events, and fish fries second to none, are as much of Florida as is sun-shine, and 80 degree weather in February.
    I can only imagine how much fun the biggest grunt, optional hog fish, and a good 'ol Southern fish fry, with 'secret tarter sauce,' will be.  I know what grunts, as well as hog fish, mean to so many. I see it personally on their faces:

It would be a great honor for me to bring the lens for "Harbison coverage." However, at my advanced age I am afraid the trip would be way too much for me. Thank you so much for offering. Wishing nothing but the best. This will be not a good one, but a GREAT one! 
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 477 Deckhand
    If the captains meeting wasnt mandatory I'd be in. Getting 4 guys from Orlando to go over on a thursday isn't doable. Sounds like a lot of fun, maybe one year.
  • Mako224Mako224 Posts: 428 Deckhand
    I second the Thursday night captains meeting. From Orlando it would be a tough three days of back and forth. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,237 Admiral
    Where's parking on Saturday for the weigh in?  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    At the marina or there's a lot across the street.
    The final board

Huh, tough to read, the biggest Grunt was 2.41 lbs. caught by Cadence Mayer a, I would say she is about 9 years young, she also won the aggregate 5.62 lbs. and Hogfish 7.00 lbs.
    edited March 30 #19
    Looks like a lot of fun.  Would love to see some pictures.