L2FISH/L4Expedition or Hobie Outback

eagle11eagle11 Posts: 10 Greenhorn

I know these are two different platforms, both with their own advantages and disadvantages. I'm just wanting to get some opinions from people that have first hand use with either one of these platforms, before I purchase one. Thanks.

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,267 Moderator

I've paddleboarded for fun, but never fished from one.
    I've also owned a Hobie Outback and have owned a few Hobies in general.

Comes down to what kind of fishing you want to do, inshore? offshore? you like standing? you need to cover long distances? so many questions to help you narrow down your choice.

Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • have kayak will travelhave kayak will travel Posts: 90 Greenhorn

IMO the Outback is much more versatile.

L2Fish and SUPs in General
    Excellent platform for standing and sneaking up on fish in shallow water. Ideal for sight casting on shallow open flats. You can use a drift chute, stake-out pole or anchor to stay put. However in some environments and under some conditions this is not practical and frankly can be extremely annoying. Even while sitting on a cooler or chair and using a kayak paddle do not expect to cover long distances.

Outback
    If you want to fish oyster beds, docks and mangroves(structure). If you want to travel relatively long distances. Fish in windy conditions or in strong current. Prospecting areas by blind casting and moving around on a regular basis. Not many disadvantages. Fishing in super shallow water is not impossible but the Outback is not ideal for that application. Also this is not the ideal platform for fishing while standing. You can drift, stake-up or anchor and stand but you lose your best asset (the mirage drive).

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,267 Moderator

@have kayak will travel said:
    IMO the Outback is much more versatile.

L2Fish and SUPs in General
    Excellent platform for standing and sneaking up on fish in shallow water. Ideal for sight casting on shallow open flats. You can use a drift chute, stake-out pole or anchor to stay put. However in some environments and under some conditions this is not practical and frankly can be extremely annoying. Even while sitting on a cooler or chair and using a kayak paddle do not expect to cover long distances.

Outback
    If you want to fish oyster beds, docks and mangroves(structure). If you want to travel relatively long distances. Fish in windy conditions or in strong current. Prospecting areas by blind casting and moving around on a regular basis. Not many disadvantages. Fishing in super shallow water is not impossible but the Outback is not ideal for that application. Also this is not the ideal platform for fishing while standing. You can drift, stake-up or anchor and stand but you lose your best asset (the mirage drive).

Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • eagle11eagle11 Posts: 10 Greenhorn

Thanks for the help!

• krashkrash Posts: 578 Officer

Hit up Lt. Firedog.. he has/had both Hobies and L2Fish ...

Old Fugger who just likes to fish