Favorite Filet & Skinning Knife

kmarsh724kmarsh724 Posts: 20 Greenhorn

As I wait for the seas to lay down, I'm thinking about picking up a new filet and skinning knife. What is your favorite knife for filleting smaller fish like Yellowtails and Muttons and larger fish like Mahi and Kingfish?

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,188 Moderator

Cutco - adjustable blade length, holds an edge and easy to sharpen

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,008 Officer

We keep my fillet knives in the silverware drawer in the kitchen. Got 1 Cutco, 2 Dexters, and 1 Uncle Henry.

The Cutco knife is decent, seems to be a good steel and may sharpen a bit easier than the others but I've taken to using a Chef's Choice, electric diamond sharpener so all my knives only take a pass or two. I also use starboard and wood cutting boards - don;t like to cut on glass or plates.

My go-to fish and game processing knives are 7 and 9-inch Dexter Russells - I stuck one in a meat grinder and bent the tip up, took it into the garage and gave it a couple whacks with a hammer - bent it straight - still going strong.

9 times out of 10 I use the Dexters for everything from 10-inch grovers and 12-inch flounder to 30# kings and mahi.

For little fish (bluegill, crappie) I prefer an Uncle Henry 6-inch fillet knife.

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,329 Captain

My most go to is a 7 inch Dexter

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 547 Officer

I also use a few different dexters depending on the size of the fish. They are easy to sharpen and they stay sharp!

I also think everyone should get the work sharp sharpener. Will get your knives scary sharp.

• GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 388 Deckhand

I have a Dexter basic fillet knife. I use it on Mahi and it works pretty good however I'm going to get a Victoriaknox 8" curved. I've used a friend's and I like it better for Mahi. FYI, there was a thread that I started on this back in October I believe, there was a number of posts there so you might want to check it out to see if any info will help.

The title was "Knife for cleaning fish" I think the last post was Dec 2017

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,014 Admiral

Dexter 7" flex for me.
    I've got the Cutco one posted above and it's my tackle bag. Blade lock broke off and it has some rust spots on it but it was a gift from my son so I keep it on the boat.

• Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,835 Captain
    edited February 10 #9

Have two Rapala fillet knives.

They're flexible, and fairly easy to sharpen.

The small one's used for Pompano, Whiting, & Trout.

The large one was found at a yard sale years ago.

Haven't needed it yet ... .

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,188 Moderator

@Resinhead said:
    Dexter 7" flex for me.
    I've got the Cutco one posted above and it's my tackle bag. Blade lock broke off and it has some rust spots on it but it was a gift from my son so I keep it on the boat.

Cutco's are guaranteed for life. Send it back and get a new one unless the broken one has more sentiment

• mike_smike_s Posts: 395 Deckhand

I have been using a 9" Forschner for several years. Have several different lengths/type depending on what i'm cleaning.

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,266 AG

I have both a 30 year old Rapala and a fairly new Dexter. Both were cheap and also sharpen and hold an edge incredibly well.

• IS IT SLOTIS IT SLOT Posts: 204 Deckhand

very old rapala blades three sizes by j. marttiini

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,485 Admiral

Wal mart sells a filet knife with a blue handle and a black sheath for about $1.97, i have 3 of them. I got a workx knife sharpener for Christmas that gets them sharp in 5 seconds.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

@Jack Hexter said:

@Resinhead said:
    Dexter 7" flex for me.

Cutco's are guaranteed for life. Send it back and get a new one unless the broken one has more sentiment

I do know that, but I'll stick to my Dexter's that don't break.

• msk99msk99 Posts: 285 Deckhand

Would anyone care to share specific model numbers of the Dexters....never used them before, but just did a search on Amazon and there's a whack of different ones on there. Thanks.

I have the 7" flexible with the moldable handle. Very comfortable.

Dexter Outdoors SG133-7 WS-1PCP Flexible Fillet Knife Moldable Handle & Sheath, 7"

• MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 70 Greenhorn

9" Dexter classic with the wood handle. $20 on Amazon perfect for anything from tails to Ajs

Everybody gets one

• MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 70 Greenhorn

Dexter-Russell (2333-9PCP) - 9" Fillet Knife -

Everybody gets one

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,647 Captain

I use Dexters because they work, are economical and readily available. Sure there may be better but I don't fillet everyday of my life like someone that works for a fish processor.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• jordinejordine flPosts: 18 Greenhorn

I use Dexter Russel for many years. Inexpensive and easy to keep sharp.

I just bought a Victorinox knife and love it. I cleaned a few mahi with it and it made a huge difference. Model #5.72032