Tourist in need of Advive for Ft. Myers fishing

A buddy and I are leaving this cold New England weather and will be heading down to Ft. Myers to fish 2/23 - 2/28. We both fly, spin and offshore fish. Need to know what's biting, the names of some good local charters, and what gear we will need to bring. If there's a good place to eat we'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 120 Deckhand

I would suggest kmagnusson(inshore/ tarpon, etc)or capt Dan medina(offshore) (both are on this forum). From what I read and personally know, these two fellas can put you on fish and satisfy your needs IMO. Take the time to read some of their posts and pics, they are good people and from my knowledge are professionals.

• dcrdcr Posts: 282 Deckhand

For eats --
    Skip One Seafood on 41 -- great conch chowder, smoked salmon salad, grouper, keylime pie, wife likes the blackened shrimp
    Farmer's Market Restaurant near downtown -- meat and three, outrageously good southern home cooking
    Horsin' Around Deli, N. Ft Myers -- get a Cuban, best in the area.
    Don't let the outsides of any of these places fool you.
    Lazy Flamingo. I've been to the other 3 locations, but not the one on MacGregor -- mesquite grilled grouper, conch chowder

• thunnus69thunnus69 ConnecticutPosts: 3 Greenhorn

Thanks for the feedback. Can't wait to get down there. I heard there's a 9 mile limit as to where you can fish.

• Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 641 Officer

Firetruck, thanks for the kind words.
    Thunnus, for inshore, a 7 ft med-heavy rod with a 3000 or 4000 size reel with 20-30 lb braid, 20-30 lb leader should set you up for just about everything you can catch inshore and some light tackle offshore (snappper, etc). Offshore, a 4/0 size coventional reel like the penn american made 113N 80 lb braid with a 30-60 lb class rod should handle most of the grouper, or if you choose spinning gear, a 6500-9500 size class reel with 50 lb braid on a heavy spinning outfit would also work well. Leader size depending on target species, but 60-80 lb on the heavier outfits generally is a good starting point.
    As far as the nine mile rule, that only applies to state vs federal waters. For chartering purposes, I have a set of NOAA offshore permits for Gulf reef and pelagics which allows me to fish past the "9 mile mark" in federal waters. The captains that dont have the permits must stay witihin the 9 miles in state waters.

Generally speaking, most charters should provide all the gear and equipment you need. if you have any other questions, feel free to send me a pm or email me direct at [email protected]

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 144 Deckhand

I have read Dan Medina's post and he seems very knowledgeable and catches fish. Last summer i fished with kmagnusson for evening tarpon and had a blast. Both do very different kinds of fishing. I would talk to to both to get an idea of whats around that time of year.

• Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 641 Officer

Serotonin, thank you for the kind words.

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,802 Captain
    Try Capt. Joe Le Clair at [email protected]
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,855 Captain
    The two I would recommend are Capt. Ozzie Fischer and Capt. Eric Davis.

Probably two of the best fisherman in southwest Florida.

No offense too the others named earlier.
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 248 Deckhand
    All of the names mentioned are great from what I know. 

I'll add in Captain Phil Evans. He is an excellent Inshore/nearshore captain who can put you on whatever species you want to fish for. I have personally fished with him twice and had multiple friends fish with him as well. He is a great person, loves to fish and wants all of his clients to have an excellent day on the water. He goes above and beyond. 

http://www.afishinmission.com/captain-phil-evans/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised