Home Fly Fishing

Small Hook Question

saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,595 Captain
I have plenty of hooks size 4 and up but what is a good strong hook for smaller size flies (#6-#8) for baby tarpon etc. when there is always a chance of hooking something larger than 12". When I say baby I mean very small not 8-10lb juveniles.
I'm mostly interested in the shorter shanks for mini bait imitations etc about 1-1.5 inch in length. But all input is appreciated.
Since I don't do a lot of this cost isn't a real factor but losing a nice fish because of hook failure would be quite hated.

Thanks

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,382 Captain
    The gami C18 glo bug hook is perfect, it's like a baby 600SP. It's heavy enough to get the job done but still light enough to penetrate a bony mouth.

IMG_05091.jpg
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,840 Captain
    We catch good numbers of five to fifteen pound baby tarpon on nothing more than standard Mustad 34007 hooks that range from #4 up to #1... All too easy to use a hook that's too heavy for the pattern you're tying when it comes to the little fish from what I've seen over the years. Here are pics of two patterns that are the first in use when we're fishing babies out of Flamingo or Everglades City....
    [img][/img][img][/img]07a0517f.jpg
    I only do these with a #1 hook and have gotten bites on just about every color combination you can think of (but mostly just plain white with red thread)

[img][/img][img][/img]schminnow.jpg
    This is my version of the Crystal Schminnow. Size #4 and #2 get the most use.

Even with fish in the upper end of the "baby" category, those old 34007's have held up....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666