Pompano/sheephead/bonefish mixed bag 2/1

Been along time and Im sorry for that. Ive been lazy as I think a lot of us have and thats why this forum has sucked lately. so heres today and I will try to post more consistently going forward.

Went to follow som reports of a hot pompano bite in the inlet. It was kind of a "should been here yesterday" situation but there were some fish still around and we managed 4 pompano with a couple lost beside the boat. This happened in the biggest barrage of bonefish I have ever experienced in the saint lucie inlet. Caught a few here and there before but today there must have been schools of them around. caught and released about 20 nice sized bonefish on sand fleas and shrimp while fishing for the pomps. And some really respectable fish. Nothing huge but certainly bigger than the ones I've caught here before. Up to around 20". Not what we were looking for but man what a fun time. Even got a double with a pompano and a bonefish on one rig. Try and do that on purpose! After the tide slacked went and hit a few docs and got 10 or so sheepshead. Failed on the pictures today but I do have a couple and a post mortem shot of the pompano as fish tacos with the home made mango habanero hot sauce. MMMMMMMMMM....

Capt. Joe Ferranti. Lunker-Man Fishing Adventures llc.
18' Sailfish 188CC, Yamaha F115, Motorguide Xi5 w/pinpoint gps

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,498 Captain

That looks good.

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator

Looks delicious and sounds like an excellent day of catching!!

When I saw you were going fishing and was posting a report, I was really hoping for some of those old time high def pictures of fish on the water!! There’s always next time...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • bluechipbluechip Posts: 167 Deckhand

great report, bonefish are a surprise!

• BeermanBeerman Posts: 696 Officer

Been crushing the bonefish for years here, sometimes they drive me nuts cause i cant get the pompano....LOL Great report!

Words of Wisdom: Many a problem will solve itself, if we forget it and go fishing or hunting!!

image.php?u=77&type=sigpic&dateline=1307501811
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,349 Captain

Good report, now I'm hungry.

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • lunkermanlunkerman Posts: 146 Deckhand

Sorry to make you hungry guys but I did get a few pics for ya. Just a bummer that the pompano is sideways in the pic with the 2 species but my dad is getting better with the camera every day!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SLW UroCaneSLW UroCane Port St. LuciePosts: 403 Deckhand

nice !!!

Tight Lines !!! For more information on a vasectomy, please visit www.gulfstreamurology.com.

@SLW UroCane said:
    nice !!!

Yeah right! I could learn a thing or two from you about inshore fishing Im sure. Thanks bud.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • auburn fishingauburn fishing Posts: 109 Deckhand

Bonefish are essentially trash fish (certainly as their numbers significantly increase).
    At least they don't abraid your leaders like ladyfish (which can be a real scourge!!)
    What happened to permit inshore/inside? You don't hardly see any outside of going
    offshore to wrecks, etc.. Unlike bonefish, they're table fare.

• auburn fishingauburn fishing Posts: 109 Deckhand

Bonefish are essentially trash fish (certainly as their numbers significantly increase).
    At least they don't abraid your leaders like ladyfish (which can be a real scourge!!)
    What happened to permit inshore/inside? You don't hardly see any outside of going

@auburn fishing said:

yeah its funny how certain species carry some sort of desirability with them even though they are not table fare while others don't. Why is a bonefish more desirable or sporting than a lady fish? Who knows. but that may change if people start catching a bunch of them. I will tell you its friggin amazing how strong those little bastards are in and out of the water. Hard to hold em for a picture even.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 768 Officer

the row boat fleet in Lake Worth dispersed when the pompano and mackerel did not show up.....still plenty of jacks,bluefish,ladyfish and others, but the folks were spoiled.