IRL Water Condition Sebastian Area?

Has anyone been on the water around here this week? The water turned yellowish a couple weeks ago. Is it still this way? Last weekend it still looked bad.

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,719 AG

Was out today...still bad.

There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • FlecFlec Posts: 466 Deckhand

Yes, I went out today as well. Water temp started the day at 64.5 degrees and was 68.5 when I came in around 2pm. Fish were more lively than they were 2 weeks ago when all I caught was a ladyfish. Today I had 2 trout,1 red ,and 1 snook. Missed 3 other fish. Water clarity a little better than last 2 weekends, but still bad.

I had 2 trout and a snook...missed one bite. Never clean enough to see anything.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • jhdog13jhdog13 Posts: 170 Deckhand

Fished Grand Harbor/Johns Island. Water Brown, lot of suspended particles. Snot grass in a lot of areas. Water so bad that it was almost impossible to see a 3 # jack just under the surface, once on top, easy.

Brown Algae bloom....

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • FlecFlec Posts: 466 Deckhand

Feb 10 and still crap

• bigunbigun Posts: 58 Greenhorn

Merritt Island, Sykes Creek, Banana river, thousand islands to the barge canal all areas looks like a brown algae blood going on. Fished Friday from 6:30 to 2:00 pm without catching a single fish. Didn't think it was possible. Time to think of making a move.

• ChadChad Satellite Beach, FLPosts: 132 Deckhand

@bigun said:
    Merritt Island, Sykes Creek, Banana river, thousand islands to the barge canal all areas looks like a brown algae blood going on. Fished Friday from 6:30 to 2:00 pm without catching a single fish. Didn't think it was possible. Time to think of making a move.

I have not actually been on the river, but in crossing MLB causeway everyday I just recently noticed that sadly, it looks the same down here again. As best I could tell it looked like huge pockets of brown water on both sides of the causeway. I am sure it has nothing to do with the sewage breaches over the last number of months that the "experts" claim are sub 1% of the problem. And with the recent SE winds, the smell on the west shoreline is what? Oh yea its the gathered up seagrass decaying. But wait, there is no seagrass anymore so what is the rancid smell? Lets all keep paying our extra taxes, because Brevard County is ON IT.

Slightly cleaner today....probably due to less wind.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • redsnducksredsnducks Posts: 51 Greenhorn

Brown brown brown with lots of stringy green algae. Get ready for DO crash and a fish kill....this is setting up to be just like it was in March a few years ago. Pretty sickening.

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,564 Captain

Can't be a DO because there's nothing to kill out there. It's already dead! Never came back!
    May never at this rate.

• theUtheU The Orlando SewerPosts: 35 Greenhorn

Just keep building the new high rise and condo **** factories along the rivers. Good news is that Orange County has approvals for 4200 more single homes and countless apartments along the proposed route of the 408 expansion project along the ECON and St Johns watershed. Guess what not expanding or in the design phase to service the new homes and apartments; new sewage treatment plants. So the added waste will go right in the St Johns/Econ and out the canals to the Indian River when it rains to much for the outdated sewage plants. But it’s not the raw sewage discharges that is threatening the River, the problem is the old septic tanks!

• FishseekerFishseeker Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    theU said:

Just keep building the new high rise and condo **** factories along the rivers. Good news is that Orange County has approvals for 4200 more single homes and countless apartments along the proposed route of the 408 expansion project along the ECON and St Johns watershed. Guess what not expanding or in the design phase to service the new homes and apartments; new sewage treatment plants. So the added waste will go right in the St Johns/Econ and out the canals to the Indian River when it rains to much for the outdated sewage plants. But it’s not the raw sewage discharges that is threatening the River, the problem is the old septic tanks!

Point me to some data!! Please! 
    The grand canal behind my house has never looked worse- and there are NO septic tanks remaining in CB.
    water clarity on the east side of NMZ is less than 5”.  Are there septic tanks on the cape?  There are no houses on the West Bank of NMZ as it was purchased as a blast zone at the start of space program.
    are there water data from the portion of the ML  to compare with the Banana River in and around the 1000 islands?  Are there data showing the top one or two contributors?
    I’m hoping $ is applied to pollution source(s) that give most bang for the buck rather than an emotion charged “ let’s just do something”.  Need to actually know the problems before we can fix.  Point me to data!
    adios
    david

• FyrestormFyrestorm Posts: 33 Greenhorn

The red dots are septic tanks, blue is sewer and black water treatment
    edited March 7 #16
    Here is the data!!!

Read this study below. Septic and sewage are a huge issue

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X18300572
    edited March 7 #17
    As far as the rainbow colors in the picture above.  This explains it here.

SJRWMD (courtesy of Chuck Jacoby) imagery of Chlorophyll a – an indicator of the Brown Tide. Feb 2018 Anything at or over 4 µg/L is high. Image from last week show numbers at or greater than 140 µg/L just north and south of the Cocoa Beach wastewater plant. We're fixin' to see another fish kill...
  • whole lot of lovewhole lot of love Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    only matter of time that the birds and critters that feed in the brown water start hurting
    Thanks Fyerstorm - for sending that.   I had seen that colorimetric pic and it triggered my question as it shows many, many septic tanks in CB.  I don’t think that’s correct.  I don’t know about other areas shown in red but I am life long resident (tho part-time at the moment) and I do not think there are active septic tanks in CB.  CB boasts a tertiary treatment STP.  Please school me if I’m in error.
    My questioning is solely for the purpose of understanding priorities of restoration  projects funded by the 1/2% tax.  Money should go to projects that offer best IRL /Banana River water improvement first.

Fish kill! Coming to soon to a canal near you!
  • seawoodsseawoods Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I have yet to see an explanation of how and why the brown algae is populating and blooming in areas with little or no impact from septic systems.  As I understand the analysis, septic and run off in cocoa is destroying the water quality in the southern mosquito lagoon. That does not make sense to me, there just isn't much water exchange.  of course the septic and run off needs to be reduced as influx of fertilizing chemicals will obviously result in unwanted microflora, but I suspect there is a lot more to this story.  
  • Ireel IrieIreel Irie Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Can’t spend money to work on fixing lagoon problems but I’ll be damned they can spend millions of taxpayer dollars on moving sand around on the beach.   This storm has already washed most of it away and they still keep going, destroying the beach and coquina reef ecosystem.  Talk about a back room, no good, pocket lining scam..... Sickening.
    Easy on the drag mon:cool:
    Old school FS poster new profile....
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 129 Deckhand
    We should be able to think through the problem ourselves rather than rely so heavily on outside sources to tell us what is going on.  And hey, let's start a go fund me page and get some of these tests done ourselves so we can see the actual data....

From what I understand, there are a lot of good varieties of brown algae.  What makes this particular one bad?  Also from what I understand Tampa dumped plenty of poop into the bay during the hurricanes and it's still nice and clear.

To go further into the problem solving matrix, we could ask the five whys.

Why are the fish dying?  (Presumably the brown algae)
    Why is the brown algae blooming? (What does it need to bloom?)
    Why is ingredient X increasing, thus causing the bloom? 
    Etc...

Keep asking why until you get to the bottom/root cause. 
    Thanks Fyerstorm - for sending that.   I had seen that colorimetric pic and it triggered my question as it shows many, many septic tanks in CB.  I don’t think that’s correct.  I don’t know about other areas shown in red but I am life long resident (tho part-time at the moment) and I do not think there are active septic tanks in CB.  CB boasts a tertiary treatment STP.  Please school me if I’m in error.

I believe the chart is expanded out so far it makes it look like there are more than there is.  As for active tanks you'd be surprised.  I'm quite sure there are more than you think.  I live in Indian Harbour and there are businesses on Eau Gallie still on septic.  I only know this because a donut shop had to vacate the property because they were dumping too much water in causing it to back up.  They are everywhere.  Not to mention across from Cocoa Beach is Merritt Island and MI has a ton of them.   
    Obviously there's more than one issue plaguing the Lagoon.  The study FIT just completed shows human waste as the primary source of this bloom.  Fertilizers have been illegal during the rainy season for over 10 years and there hasn't been any real runoff in months.  
  • Topwater GuyTopwater Guy Posts: 423 Deckhand
    edited March 12 #25
    This little tidbit was in today's paper

What failed?

Indian River Lagoon: A bill seeking $50 million for restoration projects such as sensitive land buys, septic-to-sewer conversions and stormwater storage and treatment, died in both chambers. 

Politicians are as useless, as **** on a Boar Hog. I guess when Capt. Hiram's starts **** that they are losing a large amount of business, due to the condition of the lagoon, then it will become an item, that needs to be addressed.

Lead, Follow..... Just, Get Out of the Way
    Perhaps I came on board too late but what Huntinthewild wrote seems solid and sound.  I'm not implying that answers to those questions are missing I just can't seem to find a link to spacially and temporally linked data from analysis of lagoon water.
    To run with Huntnthewild's theme for example:
    Are there data showing N and P levels in September?  
    Are there data collected at the same locations just after Irma when water was highest?
    How do they compare?  How do those data compare to samples collected/ananlyzed after water levels normalized?
    Is FIT working in that direction?  
     Topwater: was the $50M to come from the 1/2% tax?  What reason was given for not passing the bill?
    Names of the yeas and nays?
    Call them!  They work for us.

Politicians are as useless, as **** on a Boar Hog. I guess when Capt. Hiram's starts **** that they are losing a large amount of business, due to the condition of the lagoon, then it will become an item, that needs to be addressed.

Tom Collins died a few days ago....I wouldn't count on him for help..... 

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    This little tidbit was in today's paper

What failed?

Indian River Lagoon: A bill seeking $50 million for restoration projects such as sensitive land buys, septic-to-sewer conversions and stormwater storage and treatment, died in both chambers. 

50 million.... is a half of a drop in the bucket....and yet we will not even do that. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • whole lot of lovewhole lot of love Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    key is the sea grass.     the lagoon does not have a chance without it
    Sea grass is essential - but the “key”  for restoration is us!
    Joe - what is the rationale for nixing the $50M restoration bill?