Fish Bags??

Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 503 Officer

On rare occasions - we land a fish that will not fit in our fish boxes- like a 48" cobia- I do not want to let it get warm- but piling ice bags on it in the floor is not a solution- What about the "fish bags" for sale? Will they hold a fish for 3-4 hours? I would guess you put as much ice as you can in with the fish. Do they fold up OK for storage?

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,073 Admiral

Yes, Yes and Yes. Get one that is large enough for your fishing but not way larger then you need. Several good ones out there.

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,996 AG

@Slough said:
    Yes, Yes and Yes.

^^^ and Yes!

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,343 Moderator

Just note that not all fishbags are watertight, like the ones that have a zipper that go all around, so you might have some fishy water leak out on deck or in your vehicle if you transport fish back home this way.

I use an Icemule fishbag (42") on my kayak, and those are _more _watertight than the other style of fishbags because the opening rolls down and clips like a typical camping drybag.

Regardless, most are easy to fold and stow when empty and with enough ice they would keep your catch cold for the time you mentioned.

Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,024 Officer

Reliable makes excellent fish bags in a variety of sizes. They're definitely worth considering.

• jordinejordine flPosts: 52 Greenhorn

Try C&H. They have nice, large fish bags

• nowinchattnowinchatt Posts: 68 Greenhorn

Funny how when we forget the gaff or the cooler is too short, the monster fish shows up

• jbsrqjbsrq Posts: 219 Deckhand

I use a fish bag every time I go out as it's easier than cleaning out fish boxes or lugging big coffin style hard coolers. I have a medium sized one for regular use that will hold ice all day and a larger one I can roll out if that surprise lunker shows up.

I will concur that not all bags are created equal. I used a cheap one for a year or so that worked ok but did leak a little on the deck and eventually leaker to the liner so it was tough to get the smell out. You will find that good ones aren't cheap. I have Canyon Brand but Reliable Fishing Products makes great ones as well.