Miami shrimping update

Hi everybody I'm dragging two boats from Broward tonight if the shrimping was good last night I saw one report anybody else can give me a update report of any type on the shrimping thanks

Replies

• Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,457 Officer

With the moon phase should start to run,have not
    talked to my commercial friend.

• baccaracbaccarac Posts: 69 Greenhorn

I went last night. I don't know how it's possible the night before that some guys almost fill up a bucket and I only get 4 shrimp sounds like a hoax to me especially without a picture. I'm done with Miami shrimping I'll only go to the area around Titusville for the rest of my life. And that's coming from a native

• xeniaxenia Posts: 261 Deckhand

Commercial guys had a slow night. Boats averaged 150 lbs. That's pushing two 10'X4' nets around for hours. Size was decent, just very few. Water clarity is also a factor when it comes to dip netting. On some of the best nights I had with wingnets I didn't even see a single shrimp due to poor visibility, but every short pass produced over a bucket in each net. This would have been a tough night for anyone fishing with a dip net, but the draggers loaded up.

• loligopelailoligopelai Posts: 3 Greenhorn

Any news?

• Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,457 Officer

Wait for next full moon last year ran into April
    even though size gets smaller.

• xeniaxenia Posts: 261 Deckhand
    Shrimp ran decent last night, with boats getting between 400 -1000 lbs.  Size was mixed, but over half were OK in size.
  • baccaracbaccarac Posts: 69 Greenhorn
     If somebody goes out on Saturday hopefully you'll Report
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,939 Captain
    Not a shrimp in sight up and down the east side of the Bay from MacArthur north to 79th St on the last half of the falling tide last night... With no shrimp showing we never saw the first tarpon to cast at - but still went four for seven on fly with fish up to around 30lbs (not including the last fish of the night that screamed off almost 200 yards of backing after taking a fly under a bridge...with me chasing after her to keep us from getting spooled)  Today I'll be loading that reel with new backing and a new fly line to prep for tonight's trip.  That big girl never even bothered to jump once, we were just off to the races from moment my angler hooked up... big, big fish.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,939 Captain
    Sunday night same conditions- no shrimp in the same areas.  Fortunately the tarpon were still biting...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • anglerswifeanglerswife MiamiPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    Hey all, we like to occasionally go shrimping and spend the night as a family fishing. Few years back we used to go shrimping from the shore by the I-195 bridge, we used to get a half full bucket on good days. Last few times we went, probably in 2015,2016 we got a hand full only. We also tried from the boat at bear cut last year, got nothing... We may be doing something wrong. Would appreciate getting some tips from you guys, it could be on a private message in case you don't want to spread the word out.
  • rumit4rumit4 USAPosts: 18 Greenhorn
    Wow that's a amazing plan & i agree with you but don't understand about that.....! Who can help me?
  • PoplinFabricationPoplinFabrication Posts: 283 Deckhand

The biggest suggestion I'd give for people shrimping is to get your lights down lower in the water column. Hanging lights off the side of the boat will work but only if the current is ripping most times. The shrimp don't like the light and will run from it if they can. If the light looks really bright to you from the boat, its too close to the surface. If you can submerge the light 4-5 feet below the surface (as deep as you can and still see shrimp) the light pushes them to the top and you'll see a silhouette of the shrimp instead of how they look when lit from the top.

Do a YouTube or google search for Cpt. Lee Noga and you'll learn everything you need to know. Wish I could go tonight or tomorrow as conditions look perfect, but fighting a nasty cold.