Home Egret Boats

mystery switch on 1996 189

lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 99 Greenhorn

I am trying to figure out what this switch does. It does not appear to kill or prevent the motor from starting. I don't know if this came with the original boat configuration. You guys have any idea or seen this before?

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer

Thanks an easy question...Yes sir, I do....It's a power disconnect for the Lowrance GlobalMap 2000.

Please note that all those tie wraps are facing the same direction.

On a separate note if you still have the original compass you can send it to Ritchie Compass and for $117.00. they will refurbish it and it will look like a new one when you get it back.

• lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 99 Greenhorn

Thank you. I do have the original compass. I will add that to the list of items l am refurbishing.

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 952 Officer

@lowerkeys said:
    Thank you. I do have the original compass. I will add that to the list of items l am refurbishing.

Maybe just take it off the console completely and put a small one in a hatch in case of emergency.
    I'd rather have the extra room on top. I don't think I have ever really found myself using it in 20 years.
    Next time I redo mine, its coming off. Looks cool but its nothing I use or need up there.

• SpookSpook Posts: 153 Deckhand

@Egrets Landing said:

@lowerkeys said:

Maybe just take it off the console completely and put a small one in a hatch in case of emergency.
    I'd rather have the extra room on top. I don't think I have ever really found myself using it in 20 years.
    Next time I redo mine, its coming off. Looks cool but its nothing I use or need up there.

My Richie compass is now at half full of liquid and I have thought about refurbing it but this is a better idea. I need a place to mount my VHF antenna and this would be a great spot. I love the look of the compass but it is of no real value with today's GPS's.

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,393 Officer

When I built my 189 I didn't have one installed for that reason.I found the compass very useful on my 2011 & now Moccasin. The reason being running offshore and being out of sight of land like I commonly do now it helps staying a course without having to constantly looking at my chart machine and correcting my coarse! It's also a backup if for whatever reason my chart plotter stopped working being out of cell range and being able to navigate back to shore.
    Sure a hand held compass would work fine but it's easy to see and never half to worry about it. I also had a 12 inch screen on my 2011 console with the smaller compass which is the way to go.

• lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 99 Greenhorn

On a different topic but related to upgrading this 1996 boat, do you guys know how I can prevent water from filling up the live wells when running around and not in use? It looks like the water is forced through the live well pumps even when they are not on. Finally got the boat out of the marina yard and in the garage so I am finally learning how this thing was built by spending time looking into the bilge.

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,393 Officer

Install valves before the pumps!

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer

You can do what FlatsBoy said, just remember to close the valve or you can just remove the overflow tubes and the water will flow right out.

As far as learning how the boat was built by looking in the bilge....That's not going to help you. Send me an email, then when you have time and i have time I'll have you come over to the house so I can give you a overview of what goes into the boat.

[email protected]

• CaptainRobCaptainRob Posts: 60 Greenhorn

I had the same issue with my livewells filling. Not sure of your rigging, but on my 09 I was able to cap off the fill spout inside the well with a simple PVC threaded cap and then I plug the outlet in the well with a TH marine rubber plug. This method has worked great so far and keeps the wells bone dry when not in use.

189 Egret