Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Boat Show Conceal Carry????

Did anyone else get asked if they had any guns or knives on them at the boat show? I didn't mind getting asked but when i questioned why they needed to know and if we weren't allowed she wanted me to lift my shirt up so she could check me and stated if I did have a gun I needed to show my CCW permit and let JSO look at my gun and she would give me a wristband. Seemed a little far fetched and overstepping her boundaries as a bag checker.... She clearly was not pro-2A as she made a snide comment of "dont you want us checking people so you know who has a gun walking around" maybe its just me but I conceal carry so people don't know i am carrying not wear a blue wristband so everyone knows.....

Replies

• big baitbig bait Posts: 426 Deckhand

they were checking everyone pretty hard for some reason.

• Bill DuaneBill Duane Posts: 309 Deckhand

@fsu11 said:
    Did anyone else get asked if they had any guns or knives on them at the boat show? I didn't mind getting asked but when i questioned why they needed to know and if we weren't allowed she wanted me to lift my shirt up so she could check me and stated if I did have a gun I needed to show my CCW permit and let JSO look at my gun and she would give me a wristband. Seemed a little far fetched and overstepping her boundaries as a bag checker.... She clearly was not pro-2A as she made a snide comment of "dont you want us checking people so you know who has a gun walking around" maybe its just me but I conceal carry so people don't know i am carrying not wear a blue wristband so everyone knows.....

I did, she asked if I had a gun, or knife. I told her I had a pocket knife that I always carry. She wanted to see my CCW, and then asked why I always carried a knife, I told her that you never know someone may have some cake, she smiled, then I went a little further, and said either cake, or somebody needs to get stabbed. I had to put it back in the truck.

• fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,116 Captain

seemed to be pretty intrusive compared to when ive been asked before at other venues

• rookiemistakerookiemistake Posts: 1,176 Officer

so now everyone knows who carries? doesnt make sense, kinda wrong

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,555 Admiral

When did you have to have a ccw permit for a pocket knife?

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you

@Slough said:
    When did you have to have a ccw permit for a pocket knife?

exactly, not sure i have ever been asked to lift my shirt so a bag checker can see if i am carrying.....

• weimedweimed Posts: 61 Greenhorn

They asked me too. I pocket carry so when i turned around with my shirt up, she saw nothing. Pocket carry is very ineffective if we are sheep in a venue.

• WelwoodWelwood Posts: 745 Officer

@fsu11 said:
    seemed to be pretty intrusive compared to when ive been asked before at other venues

What is the penalty for lying. :)

@Welwood said:

@fsu11 said:

What is the penalty for lying. :)

if i was carrying i would have said no and went on my way but as i wasnt at the time i figured id ask why they felt the need to check

• relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 605 Officer

The last boat show I went to I bought a fillet knife. So I can't bring a pocket knife in but don't they sell knifes there? or do they at that one?
    Great idea to mark everyone that has a gun, could be an interesting day if someone gets out of hand.

What is the Florida law on concealed carrying (with permit) into a venue like this or say a dept. store (ie; Walmart)?

• blackcloudblackcloud Posts: 202 Deckhand

It’s perfectly legal if you have a CCW to carry in a Walmart or this venue. If a private business posts a “no weapons” sign and find out you are carrying they can ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave they can have you trespassed off the property.

In this case, I would assume the promoters asked their bag checkers to do this, essentially making a ccw now an open carry since you are identifying yourself as having a weapon with the blue band. Anybody who wants to carry should let the show promoter know that you will not go to another as long as they choose to violate your legal right to carry. I do not do business with any place that doesn’t allow people to legally carry a weapon.
    If someone can tell me who the promoter of this particular show was I will tell them for me.

“I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice”.

@blackcloud said:
    It’s perfectly legal if you have a CCW to carry in a Walmart or this venue. If a private business posts a “no weapons” sign and find out you are carrying they can ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave they can have you trespassed off the property.

In this case, I would assume the promoters asked their bag checkers to do this, essentially making a ccw now an open carry since you are identifying yourself as having a weapon with the blue band. Anybody who wants to carry should let the show promoter know that you will not go to another as long as they choose to violate your legal right to carry. I do not do business with any place that doesn’t allow people to legally carry a weapon.
    If someone can tell me who the promoter of this particular show was I will tell them for me.

“I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice”.

Sounds the same as Ga.

• CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,873 Captain

1) Some go to boat shows to browse the merchandise shown.
    2) Some go to boat shows to actually buy some of the merchandise shown.
    3) Some go to boat shows to finally confront a real person face to face about some unresolved warranty issue on some previously sold merchandise.......that they are tired of getting the run around over the phone on.

I'm pretty sure it is because of subset 3, that they want to know just by looking at you when you approach them, if you are as they say "lackin" or not. :D

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,607 Admiral

What would prevent anyone from cutting the blue band off once you were in?

• Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,450 Captain

I don't carry (or do I?) so maybe I don't know all the statues ...but isn't lifting your shirt and showing your firearm a violation of the law??

• jk123jk123 Posts: 5 Greenhorn

It would be great for one of the pro 2a lawyers to chime in here.

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    edited February 2018 #19

I would say "no". She could have me lift my shirt but still would not see my .380 tucked in below my waistband.

I like stc's idea, just snap the wrist band off at the 1st garbage can.

• twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    edited February 2018 #20

They asked to see my permit when I told them I had a pocket knife. I started to educate her, but it wasn't worth the fuss. My wrist band didn't make it to the first trash can....I cut it off as soon as she put it on me and then tossed it. The whole ordeal pissed me off, but I had the wife and kid.....

Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg

@twirp said:
    They asked to see my permit when I told them I had a pocket knife. I started to educate her, but it wasn't worth the fuss. My writ band didn't make it to the first trash can....I cut it off as soon as she put it on me and then tossed it. The whole ordeal pissed me off, but I had the wife and kid.....

Reckon how many men in the show didn't have a pocket knife in their pocket?

• teamrayteamray Posts: 47 Greenhorn

Haven't checked the board in a while. The bag checker can't do a **** thing to you if you lied or not about having a concealed weapon.

If JSO asks you it get into a whole other legal argument. If someone were caught with a firearm and now CCW license, there is a lot to argue that JSO did not have a right to ask the question.

Unfortunately this is the way many venues are headed. It is ridiculous for her to ask and ridiculous of the venue having her ask. I'm sure some lawyer or wannabe lawyer came up with this bright idea, and I'm not surprised that the lady bag checker has no clue what the law is.

Growing up I never missed a show like this. Later in life I often worked shows like this. Now I'm glad I don't go to shows like this.

• Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral

I'd just look her in the eyes and say, "No Ma'am....no concealed carry on me".....then give her a wink, and say, "But, if something goes down feel free to hide behind me, so you'll be safe"....

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG

If someone without a badge asks me, I'm saying no regardless if I am or not. It's none of there business. That's the purpose of CCW.