Iland Rig Leader Setup...

msk99msk99 Posts: 354 Deckhand

I purchased an Iland Sea Star and Sailure for our upcoming trip in June and am wondering what would be the recommended leader poundage a guy should put on when I rig them up. I've got a roll of 80lb fluoro that I was thinking of using, but not sure if that is a good choice or not. To be used for trolling off Marathon for dolphin/blackfins and perhaps a bonus wahoo. Thanks.

Replies

  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,308 Officer

    i drilled out the back of the head of a couple of Ilanders to accept a small offshore swivel and a few inches of cable from the front of the head to a J hook. The cable is completely hidden inside the skirt. I also crimped a small offshore swivel to the cable and that is 99 percent hidden inside the head since only the front eye protrudes from the head. i haven't nailed any fish with teeth on it yet, but it still produces other fish like dolphin etc. I also made a single hook rig for adding a ballyhoo to the Islander that is cable crimped and it also it completely hidden inside the hoo and Islander chromed head.

    Giimoozaabi
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,323 Admiral

    I think you will focusing in Dolphin that time of year and the 80 lb. Fluoro will be fine. You can even put either lure in front of a rigged ballyhoo. That is what I would do.

    “Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 558 Officer

    I use number 9 wire for all ballyhoo trolling. Very easy to tie up pin rigs for rigging the ballyhoo. Dolphin don’t care about wire at all.

    I do like that small piece of cable rig posted above, might have to try that.

  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,697 Moderator

    You don't really need Fluoro for trolling for dolphin. I use 50# mono, and I crimp a hook. Inside the crimp, I place a short piece of #9 wire which is bent 90* to the mono and used as a pin rig. Or I just wrap the ballyhoo wire behind the gill plates, thru the eyes and over the nose and up the bill

  • msk99msk99 Posts: 354 Deckhand

    Great tips folks....much appreciated! Just have some of that 80lb fluoro kicking around so I thought I'd use it if seemed appropriate.

  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 985 Officer

    Your 80# should work fine. You'll see that guys use a wide range of tests. I tend to go heavier, 120-150 depending on brand. I don't tend to use pin rigs, but many like them in conjunction with rubber bands, springs, or copper wire.

  • WideSpread25WideSpread25 Posts: 76 Greenhorn

    I like to use 80# Pink Flouro for dolphin fishing, and then only use rubber bands for the ballyhoo. I'll use wire if I'm planning on targeting Billfish at the same time.

  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,389 Captain
    edited January 2018 #9

    Wire if they are going on a planer/UW, your flouro is perfectly fine for surface baits. Don't over think those mahi, they pretty dumb and will hit about anything on the troll.

    Fished with the best guy I know in a couple mahi tournaments last year out of big pine, he had all sorts of colors prerigged, I asked what was the fav color, he looked at me like I was nuts..."They're mahi, it don't matter." Darcie won first lady angler that day, and we caught gaffers all week like it was nothing.

  • msk99msk99 Posts: 354 Deckhand

    @brianb said:
    Wire if they are going on a planer/UW, your flouro is perfectly fine for surface baits. Don't over think those mahi, they pretty dumb and will hit about anything on the troll.

    Fished with the best guy I know in a couple mahi tournaments last year out of big pine, he had all sorts of colors prerigged, I asked what was the fav color, he looked at me like I was nuts..."They're mahi, it don't matter." Darcie won first lady angler that day, and we caught gaffers all week like it was nothing.

    Sounds like an awesome trip...I'd take 1 good gaffer and be happy!

  • Toms22KWToms22KW Posts: 25 Greenhorn

    I have fished off Marathon a numbers of times and June is a good time for Dolphin. Bubblers work best Blue/white and Black/white and no bait required. Blackfin Tuna like purple Black Boone tuna eyes(They come with a double hook) but change it to single hook like 7/0-5/0. Allot of the Dolphin are schoolies and you can catch them on the bubblers or tuna eyes they like the blue/white tuna eye but will hit the Purple black. If you want to catch the bigger blackfin go to the marathon Hump and drop a live bait on 5/0 live bait hook 30lf fluorocarbon leader 60ft long, add a 6oz weight to get it down 100 to 250 ft drift over the Hump and get the fin in before a shark eats him. There are allot of striped skipjack tuna at the hump too and if you are shallow that's what you most likely will catch so go deep there.

  • msk99msk99 Posts: 354 Deckhand

    @Toms22KW said:
    I have fished off Marathon a numbers of times and June is a good time for Dolphin. Bubblers work best Blue/white and Black/white and no bait required. Blackfin Tuna like purple Black Boone tuna eyes(They come with a double hook) but change it to single hook like 7/0-5/0. Allot of the Dolphin are schoolies and you can catch them on the bubblers or tuna eyes they like the blue/white tuna eye but will hit the Purple black. If you want to catch the bigger blackfin go to the marathon Hump and drop a live bait on 5/0 live bait hook 30lf fluorocarbon leader 60ft long, add a 6oz weight to get it down 100 to 250 ft drift over the Hump and get the fin in before a shark eats him. There are allot of striped skipjack tuna at the hump too and if you are shallow that's what you most likely will catch so go deep there.

    We are hoping to get to the hump this June....any bait preference shown by the fins out there? Seems like it's tough to find pilchards, we keep ballyhoo and pins in our livewell.

  • Toms22KWToms22KW Posts: 25 Greenhorn

    It is tough to find pilchards, but pin fish are used allot. I have caught hardtails and ballyhoo off marathon in about 8 to 12 ft water chumming and sabiki rig. Though if you catch more than two ballyhoo at a time on a 6 hook sabiki rig its a mess of tangles. So if they show up behind while catching bait remove all but two hooks and use less/all weight on the sabiki. All kinds of bait shows up and the easy to catch pins are more on the gulf side near grass and current. Pins are easy to keep alive in a pen.

  • msk99msk99 Posts: 354 Deckhand

    Great....good to hear the pinfish are serviceable out on the humps...thanks!

  • farside88farside88 Posts: 495 Deckhand

    60lb leader (your 80 works too), with a 7/0 or 8/0 hook. I like to put 3 beads infront of the hook to let it sit back in the bait a little further. I love the sailure, haven't tried the Sea Star yet. Get that Sailure to leave a good smoke trail and you'll catch plenty of fish. Put it way, way back, then let out 100ft more, and you will catch tuna on that too.

  • msk99msk99 Posts: 354 Deckhand

    @Toms22KW said:
    It is tough to find pilchards, but pin fish are used allot. I have caught hardtails and ballyhoo off marathon in about 8 to 12 ft water chumming and sabiki rig. Though if you catch more than two ballyhoo at a time on a 6 hook sabiki rig its a mess of tangles. So if they show up behind while catching bait remove all but two hooks and use less/all weight on the sabiki. All kinds of bait shows up and the easy to catch pins are more on the gulf side near grass and current. Pins are easy to keep alive in a pen.

    What’s a hardtail?

  • Toms22KWToms22KW Posts: 25 Greenhorn

    These looked like a jack 4 to 7" long grey color with yellow tail and darted around. I don't think they would keep in a pen. They were not blue runners but had the shape no blue line.

  • Toms22KWToms22KW Posts: 25 Greenhorn

    Oh if you use the Pin at the Hump give him a trim so the black fin can swallow him better. :) cut off his dorsal fin him will look better high and tight like.

  • msk99msk99 Posts: 354 Deckhand

    Good stuff...a little off the top!

Sign In or Register to comment.