basic all purpose spinning setup - reel size and line weight?

perch_44perch_44 Posts: 21 Greenhorn

I come down to the AMI area every spring from MN, and am getting together a couple saltwater specific setups together to travel with, versus bringing my 1 piece freshwater setups.

I have two 7'6" MH Cabelas Salt Striker spinning rods coming, and am looking to pair up reels to them.

These will be used for all purpose beach, shoreline, and pier fishing. I do have a bigger setup for using on the beach with a bait runner, big cut bait, etc. I know this isn't "ideal", but bringing down 6 rods every time is just not feasible. I plan on traveling with these 3 rods going forward.

I'm thinking a 4000 series Fin Nor Lethal reel, with 15 lb line.

Is that reel size going to be what I want, or do i want to go one size bigger or smaller? For line, would it be suggested to go with braid, floro, or mono?

Thanks!

Replies

• Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 2,549 Captain

Those MH rods could be a bit much.

Off a bridge or pier, for Kingfish or Cobia, sure.

But M or or even ML actions are usually enough Inshore

The Daiwa BG3500 reel would be a fine choice.

Just a few more $$$ - add 15 lb braid & fluoro leader.

Should be good from any shore, beach or bay.

Trout, Reds, Pompano, Flounder, Sheepshead, etc.

• perch_44perch_44 Posts: 21 Greenhorn

the guide i've fished with the last few times runs all MH rods for the snook trips and they don't seem too bad. I just want something that is as close to universal as possible.

I know that nothing will be perfect.

When these rods show up, maybe I'll return one for a medium, and keep one MH.

• Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 2,549 Captain

@perch_44 said:
    the guide i've fished with the last few times runs all MH rods for the snook trips and they don't seem too bad. I just want something that is as close to universal as possible.

When these rods show up, maybe I'll return one for a medium, and keep one MH.

For a Snook ... sure, MH is fine, as well as for Drum.

But, probably overkill on Spanish or Snapper.

Since you already have a HD rig, a MH, and an M should cover the bases.

To a certain extent, of course, it depends on the rods.

"Tackle" is an industry without coherent standards.

Every brand has their own terminology and numerical system.

• 10kman10kman Posts: 557 Officer

I need a bit more info.Are you casting or dropping bait to bottom?If your casting time after time those rods get a bit heavy.As a former Minnesotan,for most of inshore,think 8-12#
    line,12-20lb leader,1500 or 2500 Shimano or its equal.
    Down here I look at fishing are you intending on catching the
    fish or landing the fish?Me.I'm looking to catch rather than land.
    We have sharks and tarpon which we hope to catch but with
    the larger fish we will probably not land.Besides we are normally not going to eat!

• cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral

Sounds like you have a good all a round set up. You never know what is biting in the surf, a 4000 of any good brand should be fine. 300 hundred yard, 15 or 20# braid would be my choice and I'd have 20, 30 and 40 lb fruro leader (use a knot not a swivel). If you are using live bait some split shot is all you should need. I'd rather over-power a trout than lose a snook.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral

Oh, and you'll need a popping cork for spanish macks and trout from some piers. (AMI yes but not the skyway)
    http://jimmie-g.com/cajun-thunder-1.html

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr