Lead Head Jigs for Grouper & Snapper - opinions wanted

Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer

I'm hemming and hawing about using some 1/2 - 1 - 2 - 3 oz banana jigs for gulf grouper fishing or shallow east coast fishing (inside 120 ft). I usually use 3 oz sinkers for bait fishing.

Live or strip bait.

Do you think there an advantage to this as opposed to just using a fish finder rig?

I was thinking they'd be good for helping "find" the fish prior to anchoring up.

Yeah? No?

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,088 Captain

Are you talking about using bait on the jigs or by themselves?

You should have been here yesterday
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 558 Officer

Great way to prospect the bottom while drifting, just make sure the hooks on the jig aren’t crap or they will bend out on a nice fish. I mainly use hair jigs tipped with some sort of bait, but I don’t see why a tipped jig head wouldn’t work.
    Bucktail jig with a ballyhoo is a flat out snapper/grouper killer.

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer

Salty - bait on bare jig head is where I was going.
    I do it inshore often enough - just always seem to use fish finder rigs offshore. Bare jig w/bait seems like it would be easier when covering a lot of water.

Thanks, Chris.

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,088 Captain

I used to do that, but it was my understanding that you can’t use natural bait on a non circle hook for reef fish. I could be wrong, but that’s how I interpreted it. I’ve had good luck with gulp curly tails, but better luck with butterfly jigs right out of the box. Good luck

You should have been here yesterday
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 553 Officer

Unless the rules have changed, it is illegal to use natural bait on a non-circle hook for reef fish. Because of that, I bought some 1 oz. jigs with circle hooks and they worked well. Just sayin'!

SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,764 Admin

The circle/J hook issue is confusing for sure. I think the only place in the state you can use a J hook on a jig with natural bait is on the east coast south of Melbourne. All other areas in the state if you want to tip your jig with natural bait you need to use a Circle hook. And with that said, you still might want to check your area before dropping a line. I'll get with our editors about writing a story about this in the next few months.

• CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,478 Officer
    edited January 2018 #8

@FS Blair said:
    The circle/J hook issue is confusing for sure. I think the only place in the state you can use a J hook on a jig with natural bait is on the east coast south of Melbourne. All other areas in the state if you want to tip your jig with natural bait you need to use a Circle hook. And with that said, you still might want to check your area before dropping a line. I'll get with our editors about writing a story about this in the next few months.

Maybe they could go in depth on how rules are implemented without being thought through on their effects. The same law your talking about makes it technically illegal for people to tip their sabikis with bait when the water is dirty. That is if they are using tomtates or any of the other fish managed under the "almighty snapper-grouper complex". Which includes a bunch on the South Atlantic councils side.

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer

Excellent points - I've been using circles for years and feel that they are better than J hooks.

The idea of a big jig with circles is understandable if just bait on there. The argument is that circles cause less gut hooking - more fish live thru the release. However, a jig is not exactly conductive to letting a fish swallow the bait like one would on a fish finder rig.

If it is a "tipped" jig (w/hair), then I could see some arguments unfolding.