Good eating mackerel

Catching limit of Cero Mackerel after/during a cold front. I love the taste of fresh cero but always thought they didn't freeze well. The bigger ones remind me of wahoo in taste and texture. I vacuum packed and froze some jumbos, grilled them in olive oil with Everglades Heat and they tasted great! So, don't always believe what you hear, try it for yourself.
Captain Mike Theut
30926 Edward Road
Big Pine Key, Florida 33043
www.LowerKeysAdventureCharters.com :fishing
Private / Custom - Family and Small Group Charters
Offshore, Back Country and Gulf Fishing / Eco Tours / Snorkel Trips

Replies

• XafXaf Posts: 970 Officer
    It always amazes me when people say the won't eat this fish or that fish when half of them have never tried the fish. They seem to go on what they hear from other people and once a fish gets a bad reputation it sticks with it. I think amber jack is a good example. I know guys who won't even think about keeping an AJ to eat or smoke. Sure there are other fish that I would probably choose to eat before AJ but if it is cleaned properly and cooked correctly I have enjoyed many an AJ steak. I used to make a fish spread that I took along on head boats that I fished on. Everyone raved about how good it was and would ask me for the recipe. When I told them it was made with AJ they would invariably ask if they could make it with some other fish because they didn't like AJ. :huh
  • chicochico Posts: 501 Officer
    Ceros are about the best macs out there!! Love catching them!
  • ReelthiefReelthief Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Great sushi too
  • Capt HansenCapt Hansen Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    They look great! Do you have any tips for catching them, like what kind of spots to look for them?
  • hhfishermanhhfisherman Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Those are Spanish Mackerel
  • SkiffmanBPKSkiffmanBPK Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Those are Spanish Mackerel
    Definitely ceros. Spanish will have actual spots all over. Cero have more dashes with a solid line near the middle. Zoom in on the picture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,706 Captain
    Nice work on great eats
    Limit?
    I thought they fell under the gen 100lb total
    I have never come close to catching that many
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Fishing/Snorkeling/Sunset Cruise

. www.AOKCharters.com

. www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• Gary MGary M Posts: 13,108 AG

Definitely ceros. Spanish will have actual spots all over.

Correct. SPanish have SPots.......

Ceros are great raw!

• dihrddihrd Posts: 80 Greenhorn

I want to know how you fit all those in that cooler without bending them.

Those would have been some giant Spanish.

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,159 Officer

@AOKRVs said:
    Nice work on great eats
    Limit?

The limit on Spanish Mackerel in Fla is 15 per person. Offshore in Miami its not uncommon to limit out on Spanish Mackerel in the 3 to 6 lb range if you know where and how to fish for them. They are usually leader shy and won;t even touch live bait on leader heavier then 20 flouro.

Giimoozaabi
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 232 Deckhand
    edited February 6 #12

That's today. 30 years ago it was not uncommon to fill the boat with Spanish Mackerel off Miami using 80 lb handlines with heavy wire leader and spoons. Would miss too many using live bait.

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,159 Officer

Yep, i also have similar photo's like that from the 70's all caught on spoons. I use to get invited out occasionally by a commercial kingfish hook and line boat and while the captain and mate fished for kings, i would toss spoons for macks until i ran out of spoons. The spoons were lost to sharks eating the macks before i could get them into the boat. On one trip alone we boxed 400 lbs of Spanish Macks that were sold at the famous Miami Pier Five in just a couple of days for retail prices.

Giimoozaabi
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,671 Captain

We used to hand line Kings and Spanish with tin squids. Sort of like a weighted spoon made out of block tin.
    Fishing was better then even though the roller boats had begun operating. Now the net boats are banned in many waters and yet the fishing still has not improved. The market has declined anyway. People have developed different preferences for fish as many now do not eat Mackerel. In the old days, even the cafeterias served Spanish Mackerel. Now you can't give it away but I still enjoy it along with King, Cero and Wahoo. Heck, I've even smoked Tinker Mackerels.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,060 Captain

who cleaned all the max in the back of that boat?

28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 101 Deckhand

@AOKRVs said:
    Nice work on great eats
    Limit?

99% sure Ceros are unregulated recreationally, so 2 fish or 100 lbs, whichever is greater.

• AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,706 Captain

@The Cat's Eye said:

@AOKRVs said:
    Nice work on great eats
    Limit?

The limit on Spanish Mackerel in Fla is 15 per person. Offshore in Miami its not uncommon to limit out on Spanish Mackerel in the 3 to 6 lb range if you know where and how to fish for them. They are usually leader shy and won;t even touch live bait on leader heavier then 20 flouro.

Maybe you missed the OP pic and description - Cero Macs not Spanish

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Fishing/Snorkeling/Sunset Cruise

. www.AOKCharters.com

. www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• NorthernNorthern Posts: 759 Officer

Well done Mike.... I didn't recognize you in the picture at 1st. Must be the haircut!
    Beside being tasty, Ceros are a blast to catch as well.

• Gulf2Back2FrontGulf2Back2Front Posts: 54 Greenhorn

Yeah, that's one of the biggest schools of Ceros I've had under the boat which we kept active by throwing out a few pilchards every once in awhile. I believe the limit is a hundred pounds per person and so we reached our limit. I vacuum packed some so they wouldn't go to waste. Frozen cero is better than I was led to believe.

Captain Mike Theut
    30926 Edward Road
    Big Pine Key, Florida 33043
    www.LowerKeysAdventureCharters.com :fishing
    Private / Custom - Family and Small Group Charters
    Offshore, Back Country and Gulf Fishing / Eco Tours / Snorkel Trips