More duck hunters arrested?

Replies

• ChetChet Posts: 291 Deckhand

UWF thinks enough about DU to dump money into it. Last I knew it was invested more than a DU member. Not that I have a problem with that. I myself have been a sponsor for more years than I know.

Let me ask you this JR. what do you personally think should happen to baiters? Don't give me that "what ever the law decides". pat answer. You personally!

What's UWF's guidance on this? They say they are the voice of Florida water fowlers.

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,719 AG

Phil, You kinda surprise me. I always figured you for a well reasoned and intelligent fellow. Your reading comprehension is slipping... Notice I use the words " HERE "...as to denote FLORIDA.
    I feel DU and Delta BOTH do important work.....but neither do squat here in Fla...and DU hasn't spent any
    " MARSH" money here to any consequence in a very long time. I have been a Johnny lunchpail member of DU a long time and think it is great that UW-F is now past " Life Sponsor" and still donating...after all...DU spends money where our ducks hatch..right?

As far as " what I think"..... Sorry Phil...but as a career officer...I always ceded to a judges wisdom.
    There is a fair range of what sentence can be imposed.... I am sure it will be a fair and just one..as we should all hope for.

There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,667 Admiral

Chet, when u hold a slippery **** fish in your hands it tends to wiggle out of any grasp u put it in..how could you expect that type of fish to have any backbone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_dick

So...your saying you are some sort of a sheep and are incapable of an opinion! Thought so!
    By the way, been hunting a DU project this year in Florida and have been smashing ducks. Just because DU not spending money in your back yard don't think they have gone home.

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,672 Admiral

JMO, I think Newton should resign as president.

If he doesn't then the BOD should have the balls to remove him.

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

@Chet said:
    So...your saying you are some sort of a sheep and are incapable of an opinion! Thought so!
    By the way, been hunting a DU project this year in Florida and have been smashing ducks. Just because DU not spending money in your back yard don't think they have gone home.

No Phil...My OPINION..is that JUDGES...make those calls. That is not a sheep...that is a citizen of America who believes in its system of justice.

And i'm glad you are getting ducks... people who look for them...find them....
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/CsHIhm2l.jpg[/img]

My son and I closed out the season.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

@ANUMBER1 said:
    JMO, I think Newton should resign as president.

If he doesn't then the BOD should have the balls to remove him.

He is not the President.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

@Chet said:

Not a sheep of any sort Phil. My "opinion" is that I'm an American citizen who believes in our justice system.....and that it works and justice will be served.

And I'm glad you are getting ducks...... some people are ... some are not.
    My son and I had a nice hunt today.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,957 Captain

OK....here again is the situation. Please note I put up the info available immediately after the incident...That a former UW-F Officer ( he had told the Board before the meeting he would no longer be president as he had served more than the normal time) had been ticketed for hunting with bait...That he was a guest on a lease.....That was all that was known at the time....Since then he has stepped down from the UW-F Board as well voluntarily.

What we know today is not much different. It was a "ticket" with a possible $250 fine. Evidently, there was a feeder somewhere on the lease. The FWC issued the ticket. The court case should be this month.

Baiting is a complex regulation. At this point I have no idea how far the feeder was from the hunting...unlike turkey, it seems there is no "100 yard" rule for waterfowl...it is up to the FWC (or federal) officer to decide the impact of a feeder....however far away it might be.

This will all be decided in court. Until then "innocent until convicted" applies.

As far as UW-F is concerned...certainly it is embarrassing to have a Member caught up in this situation....but, UW-F has a lot of Members and Regional Directors...and others working across the state to "make duck hunting in Florida better for Florida's duck hunters"....nothing has changed...I look forward to a great turnout at the Youth Hunts and hope Members and friends will be there to support UW-F's efforts at the FWC Commission Meeting in Tallahassee (7th) and the LAKE OKEECHOBEE PLANT MANAGEMENT MEETING in Okeechobee (8th)....

Do not despair....UW-F has just turned 16 years old....still a teenager....and growing. Being an advocacy (c)4 not for profit, there are always going to be disagreements between Members and others....that is the fruit of "advocacy"....if you "cannot stand the heat....."....or if there is no heat......we are not knocking on doors and rattling windows for more hunting access and conservation of our wetlands....

You just don't get it! How about this?

This duck club condemns any game violation and hopes that any violator is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Joe lunch pale would like to hear that.

@duckmanJR said:

No Phil...My OPINION..is that JUDGES...make those calls. That is not a sheep...that is a citizen of America who believes in its system of justice.

Ok, Jr! Next time some one shoots seven or shoots early remember....you have no opinion until the issue is judicated by a judge.

@Chet said:

@duckmanJR said:

Ok, Jr! Next time some one shoots seven or shoots early remember....you have no opinion until the issue is judicated by a judge.

That has ALWAYS been by opinion Phil...
    I neither condone nor give quarter to violators. But our system is in place to address these things.
    If you are caught doing something illegal...then it is up to the judicial system to impose the proper punishment.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

@Chet said:
    You just don't get it! How about this?

Joe lunch pale

PAIL.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,957 Captain

You would think it is a given that UW-F supports the law officers and wants law breakers prosecuted. Our Members have helped on several instances. And lobbied for federal judges instead of state to ensure toughness. But, those few individuals who have consistently disliked UW-F will never miss a chance to be critical.

• cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 622 Officer

From the always entertaining FWC weekly reports, could this be the one referenced in this thread?

Officer Mendelson received intelligence about poaching on a piece of private property
    on Merritt Island. Officer Hadwin had previously observed two subjects launch a boat
    at that property with a feeder on board. Officer Hadwin and Officer Bohne went to the
    property and located a large corn feeder with duck decoys floating around it, as well as
    several permanent duck blinds. Early Saturday morning, Officer Mendelson, Officer
    Hadwin and United States Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) Federal
    Officer Amoroso conducted concealed surveillance on the property. They observed two individuals
    hunting ducks in a blind next to the corn feeder throughout the morning. The poachers
    were apprehended, interviewed and charged with hunting migratory birds over bait.
    The shotguns and ducks harvested during the illegal hunt were seized. The lease holders
    were issued federal criminal charges by USFWS Officer Amoroso for placing bait on the
    property to hunt.

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,014 Officer

They had big brass ones for sure.

• osprey11osprey11 Posts: 874 Officer

If these two are the same. Funny, one version makes it sound like a hidden deer feeder somewhere on the property. Other report is they where next to a feeder w/ decoys. Man politicians are good!

Hobbit free zone!!

• TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,815 Captain
    edited January 30 #49

@duckmanJR said:

@TGunn said:
    UWF’s stance on this is the same as their stance on overspraying or spraying non-targeted plants.

“Innocent until proven guilty by 37 eyewitnesses, multiple videos, signed confessions, and condemnation by God, Jesus, and the Pope.”

Are you going to be at the Lake O plant meeting on Feb 8th?...

@duckmanJR said:

@TGunn said:
    UWF’s stance on this is the same as their stance on overspraying or spraying non-targeted plants.

“Innocent until proven guilty by 37 eyewitnesses, multiple videos, signed confessions, and condemnation by God, Jesus, and the Pope.”

@duckmanJR said:

@TGunn said:

@duckmanJR said:

@TGunn said:

@duckmanJR said:

@TGunn said:

@duckmanJR said:

@TGunn said:

No, Joe. I’m not a retired civil servant sucking a municipality’s coffers dry on my largely undeserved pension or disability rating after accidentally shooting myself in a manner only Barney Fife could repeat. I work for a living and will be attending a mediation that day.

Why do you ask? Is the only way to have an opinion that matters as a hunter in FL to be unemployed on a Thursday? If so, Perhaps UWF should change their motto:

“The voice of Florida’s unemployed duck hunters!”

Since we’re having a nice Q&A session, will any UWF members be present at the meeting?

Will they be able to bond out in time to make it?

Will they be wearing an ankle braclet GPS locator?

Will they reach out to shake someone’s hand at the meeting and, as they pull their hand from their pocket, “accidentally” throw corn all over everyone’s feet?

Will they actually be taken seriously by the agency that effected the arrest of their board members?

You get more and more senile every day, Joe.

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,672 Admiral

I loled.

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

@TGunn said:

@duckmanJR said:

@TGunn said:

@duckmanJR said:

@TGunn said:

@duckmanJR said:

@TGunn said:

@duckmanJR said:

@TGunn said:

@duckmanJR said:

@TGunn said:

@duckmanJR said:

@TGunn said:

No, Joe. I’m not a retired civil servant sucking a municipality’s coffers dry on my largely undeserved pension or disability rating after accidentally shooting myself in a manner only Barney Fife could repeat. I work for a living and will be attending a mediation that day.

Why do you ask? Is the only way to have an opinion that matters as a hunter in FL to be unemployed on a Thursday? If so, Perhaps UWF should change their motto:

“The voice of Florida’s unemployed duck hunters!”

Since we’re having a nice Q&A session, will any UWF members be present at the meeting?

Will they be able to bond out in time to make it?

Will they be wearing an ankle braclet GPS locator?

Will they reach out to shake someone’s hand at the meeting and, as they pull their hand from their pocket, “accidentally” throw corn all over everyone’s feet?

Will they actually be taken seriously by the agency that effected the arrest of their board members?

You get more and more senile every day, Joe.

Good news Tommy boy...The meeting is at 6 PM....perfect for you worker bee's to be able to make it out and have your say...

Oh, I know...you have something else more important...and if you don't go....you can cry and whine about the habitat next year.

Standing by for your excuse Tommy...take your time...make it a good one.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

"Is the only way to have an opinion that matters as a hunter in FL to be unemployed on a Thursday?"

And...No Tommy...you could just do the same thing you have always done...Rant on a forum. :D

Or... Grab a burger at the drive thru after work and go to a meeting that directly effects you. It doesn't really matter to me....but with all you have to say ...I would think you would want to be there.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,372 Officer

There are organizations that represent hunters that can not attend due to work and personal reasons. While we may not like everyone and we may not agree with every decision, they are there to represent the majority of their user base. That is usually not a bad direction. Being a forum and social media only poster ensures that person will be following someone else's desires.

The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.

@bgeorge said:
    There are organizations that represent hunters that can not attend due to work and personal reasons. While we may not like everyone and we may not agree with every decision, they are there to represent the majority of their user base. That is usually not a bad direction. Being a forum and social media only poster ensures that person will be following someone else's desires.

That is a great summation...

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,815 Captain

@bgeorge said:
    There are organizations that represent hunters that can not attend due to work and personal reasons.....they are there to represent the majority of their user base.

If only.

Still waiting on that excuse Tommy.... :D

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 874 Officer

These meetings are a joke! Agenda's are preset. Been to a few snapper meetings. Yeah those went real well!

Hobbit free zone!!

@osprey11 said:
    These meetings are a joke! Agenda's are preset. Been to a few snapper meetings. Yeah those went real well!

Yeah, You're probably right...we shouldn't go to meetings...waste of time...just let whatever happens happen...

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

Hey, we got off topic here....since we're talking busts...How about those " Men of fowl " getting it shoved up their hind end up at MINWR... all kinds of good stuff...No license and stamps, lead shot, 3 boxes of shells.... Heard that's really good one...a flat fee..plus a surcharge per shell over..NICE!

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 622 Officer

Or this one...

Officers Eller and Hallsten received a tip about a private duck lease in the Scottsmoor area that was baiting close to their duck blinds. The two officers conducted an assessment of the property and located several blinds. One of the blinds caught the officers interest and they waded into the hip deep impoundment to take a closer look. They searched in about two feet of water and located corn underneath the water. The following morning Officers Hallsten and Lejarzar returned to the location and observed three subjects attempting to take ducks in the baited area. A thorough inspection revealed a large amount of corn within 10 yards of the duck blind. Multiple hunting violations to include license and baiting violations were addressed with criminal citations. All the hunting gear related to the take of the ducks was seized.

• flydownflydown Posts: 6,462 Admiral

Is using golden retriever to attract rather than retrieve ducks considered fowling water?

DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do