More duck hunters arrested?

14567810»

Replies

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,667 Admiral

yup, got this response a week ago

** Opening all the STAs all
    the time would undermine our managing them in so many ways, sorry but that just isn’t an option now.
    The STAs are for
    phosphorus removal. **

YET, the FEB is not and is still Heavily Restricted. Some would want U to believe the district is working with is.. LOL

• gottheitch22gottheitch22 Posts: 4,131 Captain

way to much buddy buddy going on

living life as i like
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,719 AG

@gottheitch22 said:
    way to much buddy buddy going on

You will need to be in a key leadership role in H2O dads new organization......

There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,637 Captain
    edited February 9 #275

Itch, wait till you boys lose your access and deer hunting in 3A North, holey land, and rotenberg as they are now being descended upon by the planners to turn them into STAs...

@binellishtr said:
    yup, got this response a week ago

** Opening all the STAs all
    the time would undermine our managing them in so many ways, sorry but that just isn’t an option now.
    The STAs are for
    phosphorus removal. **

YET, the FEB is not and is still Heavily Restricted. Some would want U to believe the district is working with is.. LOL

And by * Heavily restricted*.,...You mean 900 possible hunters all day....on 300 permits per week.... :D

Oh my... what will the NEW organization H2O dad will be forming be asking for? :D

You can't even script this stuff.... :D

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

@Big Mak said:
    Itch, wait till you boys lose your access and deer hunting in 3A North, holey land, and rotenberg as they are now being descended upon by the planners to turn them into STAs...

Yay!...More duck hunting... :D

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    edited February 9 #278

Negative ghost writer... Limited access to future cattail monocultures to hunt ducks is more likely. There's already open access to fish, hunt ducks, frog gig, and recreate in these places that incidentally were bought and paid for by Florida's taxpayers long before you entered the state. I won't mention the future deterioration of hammocks, uplands, and islands that will come with full seasons of deep water coverage....

STA's....are shallow water coverage
    FEB's are deep water coverage

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 Posts: 4,131 Captain

@Big Mak said:

WATER IS MORE VALUABLE THEN GAS , SO THATS A GIVEN .

living life as i like

Reread, comprehend, and absorb... "Full seasons" of 'any' water on those areas will destroy the habitat and the animal life out there. Just look at Brown's Farm as an example. Joe only knows it as STA 2, but others are greatly more familiar. Not to mention an extra foot of water planned for full time storage on WCA 3A North will finish off the deer herd in there, and possibly have ramifications to camp owners that have recreated there for generations... Even though I haven't deer hunted out that way in well over 20 years, it would be a shame to lose what we have to either a STA or a FEB.

These are areas that were bought and paid for with taxes and designated as WMAs and conservation areas with guaranteed public access. Johnny Jones lead the charge back in the day when I was a youngster, and he's probably rolling over in his grave by now if he can see what's going on in Florida.

What I don't understand is that there are perhaps thousands of acres in the EAA that are under (un)renewable farming leases that would be better suited to firstly, reduce future runoff, and secondly, filter existing runoff. I guess it's just naive and sinful on my part to think the public shouldn't be forced to bear the brunt of new habitat and access losses on lands that they bought when there are already options available where the habitat is already compromised....

• N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,957 Captain

Which meeting? Got22....Lots of STA meetings...and, yes there have been comments from some FWC staff regarding not crowding the STAs beyond what they are today....and some SFWMD staff as well. Often they are not the ones involved in actually determining the numbers of permits on an STA each year. I am not sure what you mean about "argued it with the state"....the work to get more permits goes on each year...and sadly, in some cases to lose permits as habitat shrinks...see STA 3/4 this year. If you are suggesting that UW-F is not pushing for "more permits", perhaps you should wonder how we went from 25 permits for two people on one STA for ten days a season...about 500 total hunting opportunities per season to where we are today with SIX individual STA areas hunted, both morning and afternoon with three per permit...and hunts on Friday, Saturday and Sunday....Well over 20,000 hunting opportunities....I can tell you as an UW-F officer I have worked for 15 years to add hunting to the STAs...and the new FEB...where hundreds of new opportunities to hunt are now available (beyond the 20,000 in the STAs)...Actually, we try to cram as many hunters on each STA as is "safe"...determined by the FWC staff....and learn to live with the complaints of "crowding". The original objective of moving the ducks off the STAs requires "pressure"....That has not changed. Each year the FWC looks at the habitat and decides the permit level that is safe for the available open marsh areas. Unfortunately, as anyone hunting on the STAs has observed, marsh habitat is shrinking as the STA managers currently have a love affair with cattails...I fight that every month at the SFWMD WRAC meetings...but, the STAs are not run for duck hunters....strictly to remove Phosporous from the water and that objective rules...There will be a STA hunt recap meeting sometime in the next few months...it will be posted...please come and comment.

edited February 10 #283

Relax Papa Smurf! Everyone knows you do allot of good for the public hunters in Florida so there's no need to fall on the sword for the club. Some of us just wish you'd fight against the regular push by some within your org who endlessly attempt to implement further restrictions on the rest of the public under the guise of it being "BETTER". It's particularly insulting and annoying to find out some of the most influential and adamant of these proposers are allegedly hunting illegally. You could respect that opinion a little more to be honest.

BTW, since we're off topic, what exactly is that new slimy organism within in the banana flags inside the STAs that the District has fallen in love with recently? That stuff may be a P sucking vacuum but it is about as bad for waterfowl as a cattail monoculture, and it spreads alarmingly fast.

• N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,957 Captain

It is slime at its worse...actually not a lot different than an "algae bloom"....the science name is "phytlathomas" or something like that...spelling is interesting...I will see if I can find the right name and spelling. The STA managers say the stuff eats P like candy and, like cattails, have got a love affair going...and the Flags you see in bunches....What has happened is the high water last year forced the managers to run more water through the STAs...faster...that cuts performance...the year before STAs got the P down to about 19, this year as high as in the 30's parts per billion..The goal(mandate) is 10 ppb at the Tamiami Trail...the WCAs help as well...When you consider some rainwater can have 5 ppb you can see the almost impossible job the District has to do to meet the Federal Court Mandate....

14567810»