Those mother f...... :rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,815 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Those mother f...... :rotflmao

UW-F, THE VOICE OF FLORIDA'S WATERFOWLERS!
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 932 Officer
    Any chance you "heard" wrong. I had a source tell me crews would be pulled off the lake during the week of 2 January -- cold weather tends to brown up the floaters too.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,662 Admiral
    will send pix in the morning if they come back to work again
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,396 AG
    bmoody wrote: »
    Any chance you "heard" wrong. I had a source tell me crews would be pulled off the lake during the week of 2 January -- cold weather tends to brown up the floaters too.

**** that cold weather. Chemicals can't be dumped if it's too cold to get a crew out to work. Maybe they can find a pit to pour them in, volume matters. Get paid. Laugh if you will, I've had marina owners see it first hand. Homeowners with dogs that nearly die from them from them jettisoning the tanks on the shorelines, just to say they were there. I've heard enough of the FWC's bull hockey. You can tell lies and fool people some of the time, but eventually the truth comes out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TGunn wrote: »

UW-F, THE VOICE OF FLORIDA'S WATERFOWLERS!

Oh.........things will get interesting around here. A little birdie told me so tonight.:hairraiser
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    navigator2 wrote: »
    Oh.........things will get interesting around here. A little birdie told me so tonight.:hairraiser

dgbg.gif
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,707 AG
    With the Gov't shut down coming...all Black Helicopters will be grounded..... :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

Things are ALWAYS interesting around here....Hysterically funny also.

" I talked to a guy...who knows a guy...who saw a guy " :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    bmoody wrote: »
    Any chance you "heard" wrong.

What! Blasphemer! Here....?? :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,714 Captain
    What! Blasphemer! Here....?? :rotflmao

Now, now we both know no one would post anything false here right Quacky?? :rotflmao
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 958 Officer
    Things are ALWAYS interesting around here....Hysterically funny also.

" I talked to a guy...who knows a guy...who saw a guy " :rotflmao

I dink I know dat guy!...:rotflmao
    Yup, some people flat out lie about things :rotflmao and others post facts ..earlier this morning back at it. Just in time for the weekend
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,957 Captain
    While some have been flapping their lips...or pounding the key boards, UW-F has been actually working to get a process going to make sure the Duck Hunters have more input in the Lake O aquatic plant management program....

THE LAKE O INTERAGENCY AQUATIC PLANT MANAGEMENT TASK FORCE MEETING POSTPONED BEACAUSE OF THE UNFORTUNATE DEATH OF AN ANGLER HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED FOR FEBRUARY 8.

The meeting will be held at 6 pm at the SFWMD Service Center, 3800 NW 16th Blvd. Ste. A, Okeechobee, 34972

Hope to see a good turnout......This is only the first meeting...a second meeting with the FWC manager for spraying on Lake O will occur where specific times and places on the Lake can be discussed in detail regarding duck hunting...The FWC manager will be at this first TASK FORCE meeting as well.
    Have a motion to move the next meeting to Clewiston so the people can have a chance to be at it by 6pm on a thurs night
    History repeats itself once again...Note the dates on this below correspondence.. talks cheap

David J. Lithgow <[email protected]> 09/29/05 at 2:45 PM

Thanks for the info Rich. This subject was discussed at the Lake Okeechobee Committee meeting yesterday. I guess staff forgot to mention that were spraying as we were speaking. After getting your e-mail I called the director of Lake Okechobee and told her that we were done talking about this and expect some action. I will address the full WRAC next week and report back on what we find out.

David J. Lithgow
    Kuhns Engineering Corp.
    825 Parkway Street #12
    Jupiter, FL 33477
    561-746-xxxx
    Original Message
    From Rich
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 8:25 AM
    Subject: Lake O spraying

David,

Newton wanted me to send this to you..
    While on my trip to Lake O yesterday, I observed a dozen or so boats fully equipped to go spray the whole South East side of the lake. One gentleman who had set up in the grass to hunt teal had to leave because they were misting him in his blind. What a disgrace it is to see this type of spraying taking place on OUR waters. The lake needs vegetation to survive in many ways. Not only that, but these chemicals make their way back into the estuaries and other eco systems throughout South Florida. When is it going to stop? When will the Army corp and SFWMD get the picture? They have practically allowed one of the states greatest attractions to become a ses pool. Needless to say, how about waiting till the end of hunting season, or atleast the end of early teal.

Regards,
    Rich
    Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 8:13 PM
    Subject: A Little More about Remo Beaver

February 16th 2006

For many years, Remo Beaver has passionately promoted the need for an approach to aquatic plant management that recognizes the benefit of moderate amounts of hydrilla on Lake Istokpoga and the potential for harm to the lake caused by a reliance on herbicides to control other invasive plants.

As a fishing guide, Remo spends more than 250 days a year on the water. To some it may seem that his only interest is fishing on Lake I! stokpoga. Spend some time with him and you may find, as I have, that besides the entertainment value he brings to a day on the water, it is evident that this man cares deeply for all of Florida's waterways. An individual may hire him for a day, or so, to catch quality largemouth bass, but to Highlands County, his job is to bring people here that will spend more of their money when they come. His customers dollars are invested in our gas stations, restaurants, our hotels and shopping centers. While fishing may be his clients' main interest, many bring their friends and families to enjoy the many aspects of recreation and sight seeing that all of Florida's economy depends on. This only compounds the economic value that his, and other's, fishing guide service has on our area. Without a doubt, Lake Istokpoga is at the heart of drawing people to Highlands County and Remo's Guide Service is a vitally important part of the attraction.

According to him, grasse! s such as hydrilla have a beneficial impact on the quality of the fishery and provides habitat that supports an abundance of other wildlife as well. It has long been his opinion that attempts to eradicate hydrilla from these waters will cause unintended, and undesirable, side effects that, at best, will be difficult and costly to reverse. According to him, "We're spending millions on chemicals every year to kill the weeds that could benefit the lake. The dead vegetation then sinks to the bottom where it's slowly filling in and choking the life out of this lake. Spend the money on mechanical harvesters and learn to live with some hydrilla."

These warnings and his level of concern are reminiscent of the warnings we heard about other large lakes and rivers in Florida. Casual observation of our waterways belie the complexity of a healthy Florida ecosystem. Not only are bodies of water such as Istokpoga, Kissimmee, Okeechobee, and Apopka different from lakes! found in other states, there are great differences between even some of our local lakes. Geologically, Lake Istokpoga is really little more than a wide depression where the waters of Arbuckle and Josephine Creeks meet to continue their southward journey. In the name of flood control, structures such as the S-68 spillway, were built at the outflow of Istokpoga. The ensuing water fluctuation schedules set by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) prevent the natural flooding and drying cycles that sustained the Istokpoga watershed's ecological balance for countless centuries. Equally as important to the renewable health of the ecosystem is its plant community. The perimeter of Istokpoga's shoreline is scientifically known as its littoral zone. A marsh area that gives life. During historical periods of high and low water levels, exposure to both sunlight and oxygen allowed for biological rejuvenation and a reintroduction of nutrient! s to the food chain. As water level fluctuation has been unaturally altered, so has the plant community.

As it should be, safeguarding human life and property take priority in the legislative mandates of agencies involved in lake and water management. Allowing the impact of altered water levels and hydro-periods, we must then turn our attention to aquatic plant management goals and methods. Indeed, a broad spectrum of native plants and grasses are desirable throughout the lake, but with the introduction of non-native or invasive species, and a growing number of lake users, comes a new series of challenges.

As determined as he is, Remo's views and opinions are not extreme. In fact many agree with his call for a balance in the methods used to control invasive plants. According to him, we (Highlands County) have an opportunity to set an example for others in protecting our natural resources. He adds that, "If we don't do so! mething now, this lake will die. We need more vegetation lakewide, and what plants are to be treated, like hyacinths an lettuce, should be removed from the water, not just sprayed and left to rot." He doesn't run short of words when discussing aquatic plant management, "Hydrilla is here to stay. If properly managed, it acts as a filter for the water, the roots stabilze the lake bottom, and provide food, shelter, and habitat for every level of the food chain." Studies from the University of Florida support his common sense approach. They (Canfield, Hoyer 2005). found that a lake's fisheries and wildlife are negatively impacted only when hydrilla coverage exceeds 85%, or is less than 15%. A fairly large margin within which to set management goals. Best estimates are that there is currently less than 2% hydrilla coverage on Istokpoga; far below what has been deemed beneficial by the state's leading experts in aquatic plants and fisheries. "We're on this lake everyday. We see it, and w! e know it. It's time for the DEP (Dept. of Environmental Protection) and others to listen to us." He points out that one need look no further than news headlines about Kissimmee, Okeechobee, and Everglades restoration to realize the ecological and monetary impacts of improper management.

Finding a balance between this area's agricultural interests, population growth, the health of the fishery, wildlife, and recreational use is critical to the future of Lake Istokpoga, the surrounding area, and the watersheds south of us. As a stakeholder in future generations' enjoyment of Highlands' natural resources, I am more than convinced that we should all learn enough to have an informed opinion on these issues, express that opinion and get involved in the decision making process.
    Remo Beaver for President.... Our motto should be ... Winners love Beaver! :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Have a motion to move the next meeting to Clewiston so the people can have a chance to be at it by 6pm on a thurs night

Reading comprehension is at an all time low...apparently..... :rotflmao

Anyway...See you and Tommy at the meeting....will be great to finally meet two internet legends.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    how can we identify you in the room?

Heck , as much as you *know* about me...I figured you carry a picture in your wallet of your mancrush... :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

Just look for the guy with the limp who is gyrating and yelling and doing everything he can to deflect attention from the spraying.
    TGunn wrote: »
    Just look for the guy with the limp who is gyrating and yelling and doing everything he can to deflect attention from the spraying.

See you there.... :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 932 Officer
    N. Cook wrote: »
    The meeting will be held at 6 pm at the SFWMD Service Center, 3800 NW 16th Blvd. Ste. A, Okeechobee, 34972

Hope to see a good turnout......This is only the first meeting...a second meeting with the FWC manager for spraying on Lake O will occur where specific times and places on the Lake can be discussed in detail regarding duck hunting...The FWC manager will be at this first TASK FORCE meeting as well.

This will, in fact, be the third meeting in this series. Two were already held in Clewistion, first at the Clewiston Inn, and then the Youth Center.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,268 Officer
    **** that cold weather. Chemicals can't be dumped if it's too cold to get a crew out to work. Maybe they can find a pit to pour them in, volume matters. Get paid. Laugh if you will, I've had marina owners see it first hand. Homeowners with dogs that nearly die from them from them jettisoning the tanks on the shorelines, just to say they were there. I've heard enough of the FWC's bull hockey. You can tell lies and fool people some of the time, but eventually the truth comes out.

I don't believe a word of this. Heresay is worthless dude! Why pass unsubstantiated jibberish on. Marina owners are always truthful and aquatic herbicide applicators are never to be trusted. Your credibility disappeared. Some of those applicators are duck hunters, outdoorsmen and hardworking men. Some of them are dear friends and family.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    I don't believe a word of this. Heresay is worthless dude! Why pass unsubstantiated jibberish on. Marina owners are always truthful and aquatic herbicide applicators are never to be trusted. Your credibility disappeared. Some of those applicators are duck hunters, outdoorsmen and hardworking men. Some of them are dear friends and family.

Sounds like a nerve was touched. Any particular reason for the ****? Yes, some of them are deer hunters. They don't take kindly to all that noise near their stands. Also noted about the marina owners..... It logically follows they would approve of nuking everything to keep a clear path for glitterboats and pontoons. Yes that's certainly a lie that would help their business.:rotflmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OK big BS'ers....who's going?

....I'm leaving the house in 15 min....

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

give us a report, let us know if DU attends representing the Fl stakeholders whose money they take

• GoldHunterGoldHunter Posts: 195 Deckhand

Maybe it's me, but what do reports or emails from 12 1/2 years ago have to do with things that are going on today? Yeah, we all know about the need to limit the spraying of hydrilla, it's been an issue for a while now, but seriously, 12 1/2 years ago? You got anything more current that might be more relevant?

@GoldHunter said:
    Maybe it's me, but what do reports or emails from 12 1/2 years ago have to do with things that are going on today? Yeah, we all know about the need to limit the spraying of hydrilla, it's been an issue for a while now, but seriously, 12 1/2 years ago? You got anything more current that might be more relevant?

WOW, U really need more to draw a conclusion? Maybe the last WRAC meeting where info from 28 yrs ago was brought up would shed some relevance on things... whatever