Coast Guard Survey RE: All Aboard Train Service

I got an email from Rep Brian Mast with a link to this survey by the Coast Guard regarding boating in Stuart & PSL areas and the new All Aboard Train service. Figured some of you up that way would love to give your opinion on it.
Here is the link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/StLucieLoxahatcheeRailwayBridges

I hope it doesn't screw up everyone up there as bad as what I heard about earlier when this was proposed. I think it's a total waste and traffic down here in southern county is going to suck w/ these things whipping by all the time in the middle of the day and rush hours. Can't wait to see the wait on E Ocean in Lantana n Boynton when the bridges go up and the trains go by on Dixie at the same time. Add another half hour to work commute.

Tight Lines

Replies

• BullMarketBullMarket Posts: 184 Deckhand
    Thank you. Completed.
    Palm Beach Pure Skin Care and Cosmetics PalmBeachPure.com
  • ObsessionObsession Posts: 226 Deckhand
    Done.

Stay Safe

Chris

ACR Electronics, Inc. (Day Job) 954-862-2147

EntryPoint Decorative Door Glass. Stuart FL (Family Business) 772-463-6500

• FISHFULL THINKINGFISHFULL THINKING Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    New train service killed 2 people crossing the Tracks in Boynton this week ... new trains go a lot faster the Freights the people are used to when they ignore the traffic gate ..
    Always... Fishfull Thinking..! :D
  • avmechavmech Posts: 1,263 Officer
    Done. Also bicyclist hit in Ft Lauderdale this past week, no fatality in this incident.
    Member #10822
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,108 AG
    Driving south from Stuart on 95, The Boss was doing 'nearly' 80 and so was the train also heading south. "Wait until he hits a fuel truck trying to sneak across the tracks some day", I said.

Ooops, that already happened about 25 years ago when the trains were going a lot slower!

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1993-03-18/news/1993077250_1_gasoline-tanker-fort-lauderdale-fuel
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 818 Officer
    Think Rail Road bridge in Jupiter is going to be down as much as up. Their calling for 30+ closings a day. Should be interesting on a busy boating day.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"

Will that be the same on the RR bridge in Stuart? I heard about 32-34 closings a day.

When's this train thing supposed to happen?

• hatcityhatcity Posts: 2,910 Captain

@Gary M said:
    Will that be the same on the RR bridge in Stuart? I heard about 32-34 closings a day.

When's this train thing supposed to happen?

same thing for Stuart bridge
    Doesn't look to happen for another two years as they have to lay another set of tracks......
    or maybe just better scheduling

also, train won't be running at 80MPH thru Stuart once it clears Hobe Sound will pick up speed thru JD Park

I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice

With the bridge down in Stuart, I think that the vertical clearance is 14 feet. Correct?

Horizontal clearance?

I'm asking since we are looking to buy on the water up there. I need 13 feet with our boat right now, but a bigger/taller boat might have me 'waiting'.......

don't recall the height, but don't think 14 is it. more like 9
    width is about 35 feet
    Buy on the east side of the tracks

just saw a video from WPTV...pick went around a car and down gates...just after clearing tracks, Brightline come flyin' thru

• AquaholicIVAquaholicIV Posts: 2 Greenhorn

@Gary M said:
    With the bridge down in Stuart, I think that the vertical clearance is 14 feet. Correct?

Horizontal clearance?

I'm asking since we are looking to buy on the water up there. I need 13 feet with our boat right now, but a bigger/taller boat might have me 'waiting'.......

Definitely not 14 feet, never measured although my 22 foot bayboat barely makes it under, the windshield might have a foot clearance and I don't have a T-top or bimini top. PM. Me if you have questions on the area, I live 1 mile East of the railroad bridge. I'm not a realtor but am selling my other condo East of bridge with available 26, 30 and 40 foot boat slips. Definitely stay East of bridge as housing values West will drop significantly when bridge is only open 15 minutes or less every hour.

• century7century7 Posts: 2,408 Captain

just did the survey but not expecting it to make a difference

It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 933 Officer

I'm not typically directly effected, but I took it too when BoatUS sent me the link. I suggested reducing the navigation disruptions during peak/key boating times -- 5-7AM weekends and holidays. I don't think preventing all disruption is realistic, but seeking balance is.

• Salty GatorSalty Gator Posts: 1,806 Captain

This is going to cause problems. The trains will be fast but it still takes about 5 min to get the tracks down and 5 min to get back up for the St. Lucie and Jupiter spans. Add that about 20 times during the day and there will be big delays. At least the freights are more at night. Brightline will be mostly day with less night activity.

• Moody BluesMoody Blues Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    edited February 1 #17

I live on the Loxahatchee River and go through the train span an average of 8 times a week. On our last 3 outings we had to wait over 45 minutes each time. I have waited at the bridge for as long as 90 minutes in the past 6 months

Here is the issue...

The bridge must go down and have a confirmed lock in enough time for the train to come to a complete stop with a large margin of safety. This is in case the the span does not go down all the way. The bridge goes down approx 15 minutes before the train. The train takes about 5 minutes and the span is back up about 3 minutes after. If there is another train in that 15 minute window, they will not cycle the span. So another 25 minute wait.

30 trains between the hours of 6am - 6pm would mean a bridge cycle every 24 minutes.

The math does not work

The only realistic fix is a major upgrade to the span to give it the ability to go down just before the train and to post a phone # to call to request an opening. It's all done remotely and they don't know if someone is waiting. The operator may just not feel like cycling the span.

• bmoodybmoody Posts: 933 Officer

I hope you put that level of detail in your comments @Moody Blues -- the detailed problem from the boaters' perspective needs to be addressed. One of the mitigation ideas I suggested was modification to the train bridge to allow passage of typical boats even when trains are passing. This would be more like the road way bridges, and would be expensive.

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,016 Admiral
    edited February 8 #19

@Gary M said:
    Driving south from Stuart on 95, The Boss was doing 'nearly' 80 and so was the train also heading south. "Wait until he hits a fuel truck trying to sneak across the tracks some day", I said.

Ooops, that already happened about 25 years ago when the trains were going a lot slower!

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1993-03-18/news/1993077250_1_gasoline-tanker-fort-lauderdale-fuel

I was sitting in my old office at Broward Financial that faced North. Heard and felt the boom. Looked out and it looked like the whole area exploded. Lived in Imperial Point and had a tough time getting home that day.