Help Wiring new batteries

SpinnerJimSpinnerJim Posts: 3 Greenhorn
Hello,*

I have done several hours of searching and research but still only get more confused. I have a 2008 Nautic Star 2200 Bay. It currently has 3 batteries 1 Starting and 2 D/C for 24 volt trolling motor. I eventually want to take it out 10 or 15 miles out side of Tampa bay but really want to add another battery. My question is mainly what equipment/electronics get hooked to what batteries. I currently have Fish/Depth finder GPS, 24v trolling motor, power pole, jack plate, 2 live wells, 2 bilge pumps, deck and nav lights, and will be adding a built in VHF Radio, Stereo and trim tabs. I'm just curious on what i need to run on which batteries, and still make sure I am safe to be able to start up to make it home and bilge pumps pump when needed. I know how to wire and hook everything up just need the best idea on what to hook everything too. thanks in advance for the input!

V/ra3c5b6f2b4a09b02926ea0feffa99553.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Replies

• bmoodybmoody Posts: 932 Officer
    You'll put two in series for the 24v trolling motor. The rest of the gear is likely 12v, and so goes to the other battery. You might want to consider a dual purpose battery in place of the starting battery down the road, and/or increasing the capacity of that battery (higher group number).
  • K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 148 Deckhand
    Starting Battery - Engine and 1 bilge pump
    Deep Cycle House Battery - 1 bilge pump and everything else
    2 Deep Cycle Trolling Motor Batteries in series - 24v trolling motor
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 388 Deckhand
    i run my electronics off of my trolling motor batteries. i have 3 batteries(36v). gps on one, stereo on one and depth finder on one. i did this because the batteries are in the console and i only needed to run a few feet of wire for each one. makes it easy to chase problems and eliminates a bunch of wire.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 513 Officer
    way too long of a reply to type out...

condensed version:

yandina troll bridge and a sense relay,for 2 batteries,and another battery for the motor

you want deep cycle batteries for a trolling motor application.....

I may know a thing or 2 about electrical systems :wink
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
  • SaltySardineSaltySardine Posts: 159 Deckhand
    This is the solution to all of your problems
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,231 Captain
    Keep it simple, this is probably a day use boat so you need two batteries for the trolling motor wired in series and one starter, if the starter fails you will probably be able to use one of the trolling batteries to start the motor or simply rewire them in parallel for extra juice if you really get into a bind, been there done that, on my buddy’s boat. His starter battery died and he freaks out, I simply took out the trolling battery and hook it up and varoom motor fires right up, he thinks I’m some kind of genius.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 513 Officer

selector switches are nice - problem is,people don't know how to operate them and they end up with 2 dead batteries....
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,231 Captain
    selector switches are nice - problem is,people don't know how to operate them and they end up with 2 dead batteries....

Educate us.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 148 Deckhand

Well, kinda. Optimally, you would want to use the switch in conjunction with a combiner, automatic charging relay or similar. Separate your loads like I described above, and you never have to touch the switch, never have to charge the batteries, and never have to worry about your engine not starting.

I like the Blue Sea Add-a-Battery kits, but there are others.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 575 Officer

Starter battery should start the motor and nothing else. If the starter battery fails then the 3 way switch should give you enough juice to get 'er going.

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,185 Officer

2 deep cycle batteries wired in series for the trolling motor. Everything else to another deep cycle and the engine on it's own battery. A switch is nice for the two non trolling motor batteries.