HST question

Finally bought some 50s and bent butts and I want to take a crack at HST for wahoo. Ive picked up a few lures, one of which is a Yo-Zuri bonita, but I keep finding conflicting advice about how to run the Yo-Zuri bonitas. Will they hold up to "high speeds" or will they blow out. I plan on pulling some trolling lead about 30ish yards in front of it. Is that necessary? TIA

Replies

• JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    Some guys fish the Yo-zuri with a weight in front of it. Some guys fish it without. It will run deeper with. You will have a harder time telling if the lure is vibrating the way that you want it to with the weight in front of it. You should be able to do about 12-16 knots without the weight before it starts skipping op top, depending on your line size. It's a pretty tough lure. If you manage to wreck it without the help of a wahoo or three actually mauling it, I will be surprised.
  • Beer moneyBeer money Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    Run a trolling lead with a shock leader but not nearly 30yds long
  • jayfrizzojayfrizzo Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    I run it with 2 feet of cable, 12 feet of 400 lb shock, then a 36oz weight. It's my back lure (200 ft). Other side of boat gets a giant squid/islander monstrosity with a 24oz weight @ 150. I've never had them tangle. They will get bashed up just by the hooks and once I had the nose broken off of one. Not sure how that happened, so I am assuming a 150-lb hoo.
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 356 Deckhand
    i think by "blow out" he means breaking the surface.
  • jayfrizzojayfrizzo Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    Privateer, if you were talking to me, yup, I was just adding that I've also heard that the bonitas will swim far and wide and can tangle with other lures.

I'm in a 22-foot CC with a fairly narrow beam. I've guessed that running the lures a little further apart helps, and if they're further back they are less likely to move laterally. Not sure if there's any truth to it but I haven't had them tangle yet.

I need to go fishing.
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    jayfrizzo wrote: »
    I need to go fishing.

A-men
  • ContingenseaContingensea Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    i think by "blow out" he means breaking the surface.

Yup, thats what I meant. I was wondering if it would swim all fornicated up and pop out of the water, etc. I did a lil test run last weekend and while I didnt get any hits, I got to test the tackle at various speeds. The bonita swam quite well at 15-17mph with no weight. I also ran a wahoo wacker on 48oz of lead which also swam well. I was using a 250lb mono shock cord between the cable and the weight. Its that too light? Im not used to using mono that big so it seems like a dock line to me.

TY for the responses.