Red Tide

Hey folks,
Just wondering what the red tide situation is in Port Charlotte, Boca and Gasparrila. Headed down next Thurs for a long weekend, wondering if I would be better off trailering towards Sanibel and fishing that area

Replies

• pretzelbpretzelb Posts: 118 Deckhand
    Hey folks,
    Just wondering what the red tide situation is in Port Charlotte, Boca and Gasparrila. Headed down next Thurs for a long weekend, wondering if I would be better off trailering towards Sanibel and fishing that area
    Last week it was pretty bad around Placida,South end of Lemon Bay/Stump Pass.. VERY bad up towards Venice as of last week...
  • MaineOffShoreMaineOffShore Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    That is what I was afraid of. Any word on down by Sanibel Area. How far off shore to get out of it
  • Garage DogGarage Dog Posts: 157 Deckhand
    I was around some of the canals in Boca Grande today and I got a wiff every once in a while but no coughing and no dead fish. Caught about 5 or 6 nice sheepshead and saw a bunch of nice snook but couldn't get them to bite.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,368 Admiral
    Check out the myfwc website for red tide updates. Tomorrow the new report should come out.
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Lemon bay was OK today but the Placida slow zone was funky but cleared up at the Boca bridge through Gasprilla Sound to Boca Pass.
  • csheridan6159csheridan6159 Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Garage Dog wrote: »
    I was around some of the canals in Boca Grande today and I got a wiff every once in a while but no coughing and no dead fish. Caught about 5 or 6 nice sheepshead and saw a bunch of nice snook but couldn't get them to bite.

Thanks for the report. Have been wondering since I was out there a couple weeks ago and it was pretty bad.

Planning on going out Friday (weather permitting) and hopefully its gone by then.
  • MaineOffShoreMaineOffShore Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the link and updates guys
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,368 Admiral
    These last couple days of relatively calm weather have brought the red tide back unfortunately
  • Garage DogGarage Dog Posts: 157 Deckhand
    I was on Boca Grande today around mid-island and the water in the gulf looked better than it has in weeks. Hopefully it's gone.