Skip to main content
Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Great way to kick-start 2018

Great way to kick-start 2018
As a Florida native who has been fishing the fabulous Florida Middle Grounds and vicinity for well over forty years I can testify, first hand, that 2017 was one of the best years ever for fishing the 460 square mile underwater ridges of the gently sloping continental shelf off the west coast of Florida we call the Florida Middle Grounds. Virtually every Florida Fisherman ll, Hubbard's Marina, overnight trip brought back catches in the thousands of pounds. I know! I was on most of them. Middle Grounds fishing in the seventies & eighties was outstanding I know! I was there. It still is! With 52 Florida Fisherman overnight trips scheduled for 2018, this is going to be a year for the record books. For those who have never fished the Florida Middle Grounds you have absolutely no ideas what you are missing.
35_zpsnmkhakgu.jpg

Each and every overnight trip, thanks to guest and crew, is an adventure to remember. The guest on these trips are serious fishermen/women and it shows, they are the best! In addition, the crew have been working together for years. Will, Jon, and Tammy are as serious as it gets. And, speaking of serious, The Florida's two Captains, Captain Garett Hubbard, and Captain Bryon Holland, are as good as they come. They know their business and do it well!
The first overnight trip of the year, 1/5/18, has been highly anticipated for many months, after all, for the first time in months, we can legally keep both trigger fish as well as the mighty amber jack. Unfortunately I was not able to go on this trip. Hope to have on the water pictures & video of the 1/12/18 trip. Thanks to the Florida's fishing coach, Mr. John Martin, & Captain Dylan Hubbard, for providing outstanding pictures of overnight trip number one:
37_zpswj8rzngr.jpg
36_zpstwhe3zcx.jpg
And what a trip it was!
First up...Friday night:
1_zpsaqzjwj0i.jpg
2_zpsthgo9e2r.jpg
3_zpsvvrdi40l.jpg
4_zpsifcuyu4q.jpg
5_zps8sgyfwqq.jpg
6_zps71mbdbbf.jpg
7_zpsxxsjf0cy.jpg
8_zps98dd0dqm.jpg
9_zpsaswcwfyr.jpg
10_zpso84hk1gd.jpg
11_zps1rn4p6lq.jpg
12_zpshpeq4bqw.jpg
13_zpsmp9u52sb.jpg
Saturday brought more of the same:
14_zpshbcomm6w.jpg
15_zpsvhbcjdpb.jpg
16_zpsidhsllzj.jpg
17_zpslexssgtv.jpg
18_zpsks7diz84.jpg
19_zpsmx16710n.jpg
20_zpssuyxaobh.jpg
21_zpsa1f8rhod.jpg
22_zpsl543ht81.jpg
23_zpswjwthxd9.jpg
24_zpsaxrdssyv.jpg
25_zpseuuhmy6y.jpg
26_zps979ofciu.jpg
27_zps9yi38tyf.jpg
28_zpsje88kfxk.jpg
29_zpslssvrspd.jpg

Back at the dock:

30_zpsavasstiz.jpg
31_zps1tf7io4f.jpg
32_zpsciofjl3u.jpg
2017 may have been 'one of the best years ever.' But look out 2018...record books are made to be shattered:
38_zpsgxw7cxyn.jpg
Bob Harbison Florida Outdoor Writers Association

Replies

• Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 141 Deckhand
    What's this trip cost, All in?....trip, bait, extras etc.

Thanks, pictures look great
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,772 Admiral
    Thanks! John Martin took the pictures.
    Found the prices:
    39 hour trip $369.00 + tax. Meal package 48.61, pin fish, for non-regulars, are $9.00 a dozen, many bring their own. Everyone has their own personal live well. As far as I know those prices are current. Most who go on a regular basis, and they are many, belong to the 'Regular's Club.' The discounts on everything are huge. The Florida fishes the entire Middle Grounds area and beyond. Both Captains Garett & Bryon love to fish the far NW corner of the Grounds. That's a very long ways from home. Whatever it takes!
    In all probability even the fuel cost to travel such distances would be much more than going there in ones own boat.
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,458 Captain
    harbison wrote: »
    Thanks! John Martin took the pictures.
    Unfortunately I do not have an up-to-date price list. Final price can vary depending on if you are a member of the 'Regular's Club' and type of membership. Suggest calling the marina @ (727) 393-1947. For those who have specific questions about the trip, Captain Dylan Hubbard has the answers...(727) 393-1947 ext. 306

This tells you a lot about what to expect.
  • Elk ChaserElk Chaser Posts: 173 Deckhand
    Firetruck1 wrote: »
    What's this trip cost, All in?....trip, bait, extras etc.

Thanks, pictures look great

I keep thinking about going, I want to say it was about 500 for the overnight trip, Including a couple 20s to tip the crew. They do bust their *** out there keeping everybody fishing. Pretty long boat ride too, that thing is not a speed boat. Still, the cheapest way to get on those kind of fish.
    I have done their 10 and 12 hour trips and they were good.
    Found the prices:
    39 hour trip price $369.00 + tax. Meal ticket $48.61.
    In addition, regular club members receive up to 30% discount, that's huge.
    The 10 & 12 hour trips can be very good, however, the overnight 39, 44, and 63 hour trips are in classes by themselves.
  • Grouper7Grouper7 Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Found the prices:
    39 hour trip price $369.00 + tax. Meal ticket $48.61.
    In addition, regular club members receive up to 30% discount, that's huge.
    The 10 & 12 hour trips can be very good, however, the overnight 39, 44, and 63 hour trips are in classes by themselves.

Why do “non regulars “ pay different?
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Non regulars pay the regular price. Regulars become regulars by joining the 'Regulars' club. I believe they still have several levels and each costs different (up to a couple of hundred dollars). You pay this up front and then you get the benefits like up to 30% off the trip price. So the more trips you go on, the more you save. It may take a few trips to get your money back and then you start to save as you book more trips. You also get discounts for pin fish, store merchandise, and also get to board earlier than the other guests so you can put your gear away with less traffic. Believe it or not but there are some guys who go several times a month, every month so the regulars club saves them a lot of money. Plus you get to book your reservations early if you prefer certain fishing spots or bunks. I did it for many years but don't go as often now.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 339 Deckhand
    To be more clear, non regulars pay the standard price. People who join the regulars club get a percentage off of that price.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,807 Captain
    That's a large variety of fish!
    God, save the South!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Posts: 16,809 AG
    I need to start saving now. This is going to be a graduation present to my boy when he finishes high school.
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    :wink Thanks Dave for that in-depth explanation of the 'Regulars Club.' It's the way to go!
    Soda Popinsi: Sounds great! Please let me know when, will feature him in my report.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Posts: 16,809 AG
    :wink Thanks Dave for that in-depth explanation of the 'Regulars Club.' It's the way to go!
    Soda Popinsi: Sounds great! Please let me know when, will feature him in my report.

He graduates 2020! so i've got time :wink
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    :USA Sounds good!