December Recap: Offshore fishing

Hey All, been a bit since Ive put up a report. Been super busy with the holiday season upon us.

December was a decent month with a good variety of fish caught. Most 1/2 day trips we got out to 50-65 ft of water and the primary targets were Lanes, Porgies, Mangroves, Red Grouper, etc. These trips for the most part were cooler fillers, with lots of legal keeper fish coming up and over the rail. The red grouper bite in shallow was not the best, but we did pick a handful up in shallow over the coarse of the month. I have noticed that there has been what appears to some sort of algae bloom on the surface off of Sanibel on several occasions. Kind of looks like thick pollen on top of the water. In these areas, spots that usually hold some nice catches, the bite was limited to Squirrel Fish....

The hot zone for me this month was the 80-100 ft range. Bigger red grouper, large snapper, amberjacks, and more were caught. While squid is always a staple bait, and live bait is always a bonus, fresh caught chunk baits did equally as well. Strips of Spot Tails, Squirrel Fish and blue runner produced a nice variety of catches. We had lots of fish on that got the best of us, and truly just raced off and back into their holes, even with tight drags. We caught a couple Goliaths over some natural hard bottom spots as well...

I had a wonderful Christmas with lots of friends and family joining us for our annual Noche Buena (Christmas Eve) Pig Roast. Spirits were high, the food and desserts phenomenal... A great time had by all in attendance.

The New Year came with an unusually cold and Very Windy cold front. Its been a good time to work on the maintenance items to get ready for when the weather warms back up to Florida Standards.

Heres hoping you and yours had a great holiday season, and that the Fishing Gods smile upon us for 2018.

Tight Lines,

Dan
www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral

Replies