Circle Hook Size?

A couple of friends flew in from Canada for a week. We're planning on fishing SaraBay this Thursday. I'm a arti guy so know little about bait and hooks. I'm thinking about getting a few dozen hand picked shrimp. What size circle hook would be suggested? I thinking we will be targeting trout on the deep side of the typical grass beds. I'm thinking size 1 of a thin wire.

Thanks

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,874 Captain
    I usually get 1/0 or 2/0 when dunking shrimp. But then again, I'm not much of a live bait for trout guy.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    1/0 is typically what I use for trout and it is small enough to grab anything else. As for trout lures I like throwing a xrap in glass ghost or mirrolure. Haven't fished since the cold but trout were biting good prior with a keeper out of of every 6-8 fish in lemon bay and south. For leader I use 20 or 30 flouro at 18-24" and cut back when needed. Not sure about wire. Perhaps a slower presentation and a little deeper with the cold water.
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 717 Officer
    match your hook size to the shrimp size. size 1 to 3/0 is usually about right
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 556 Officer
    Usually no need to get the hand picks this time of year especially for trout, most shrimp will be the right size. 2/0 circles work well, I use owner light wires, just hook the shrimp through the head behind the black dot and hang it 3' under a popping cork.
    Throw a mirrolure or a small swimbait on a jighead around while the cork is out there, artificials usually out fish live bait drifting the flats.
  • John HaggertyJohn Haggerty Posts: 204 Deckhand
    I don't know if I ever fished this cold of water here before. That's why I was thinking shrimp. Seems the last couple of years were a mess with red tide. Looking thru the box I have 1/0 fine wire Owners. Three guys in a two man boat this week, so live bait and a rod limit might help me keep things safe.