Fishing 10k in upcoming cold

Was curious how the cold affects the fishing? Do you tend to fish deeper cuts and channels? Or wait till the flats heat up a bit mid morning? Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• BigshrimpBigshrimp Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    No need to get up early with this cold front coming in. Yes, they say to fish the deeper waters when it's this cold. I'd look for the deep cuts and moving water. Fish slow and slower. Sitting with cut bait is a good option when it gets this cold too.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 685 Officer
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said....Some of my best days fishing was for trout in the crappiest weather. Might try to find flats in the 4' range that are protected and do some drifting!
    Jason :USA
  • MegalopsAtlanticusMegalopsAtlanticus Port of the Islands, FLPosts: 91 Greenhorn
    I will be working on boat projects in the garage until the sun comes back out and the warm up begins.

But I am sure there are droves of Sheepshead moving inshore this week, and the Reds & Trout don't mind the cooler water too much.

But the water quality is horrendous right now with the big winds combined with the super-low tides this week. Things are pretty churned up.

"Live shrimp low and slow" is probably the only reliable play these next few days until Saturday at least. It's still getting colder, and these grey skies and mid-day low temps aren't doing much to warm the flats or blackwater in the backcountry until the sun shines again.
    "Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
  • jqmustangjqmustang Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the info guys, greatly appreciated. I hope to be there Saturday, the highs will be creeping towards 70 so maybe that'll get the fish moving and hungry.