Shrimping

Anyone been out lately? how are they running?

Replies

• gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,979 AG
    This cold might get them moving.
    :BUNNY gestapo

• DoradoDorado Posts: 391 Deckhand
    I'm going tonight.... I'll let you know.
    My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and NOT think of the Lone Ranger...
  • Dr. BogasDr. Bogas Posts: 518 Officer
    Dorado wrote: »
    I'm going tonight.... I'll let you know.

That would be great. Thanks Dorado
  • bbailey_33bbailey_33 Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    Went sat night Oak Hill... good tide pull started at 6ish.... 2 hours and no shrimp.... quite a few small snakes ???
    I didn't go... Weather was nasty..... but the determining factor was the lack of positive reports. Capt. Shawn Williams and I decided to call it, and wait for the New Moon.

They'll bust loose soon enough....
    My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and NOT think of the Lone Ranger...
    bbailey_33 wrote: »
    Went sat night Oak Hill... good tide pull started at 6ish.... 2 hours and no shrimp.... quite a few small snakes ???

Those are eels....Cobia Candy.

I have it on a good authority, that if you manage to net a few..... and a few get loose in your vehicle....expect divorce proceedings.
  • sailfish2sailfish2 Posts: 4,174 Captain
    Hoping for better luck next time...... and got it.

WINNING!
  • JmoJmo Posts: 2 Greenhorn

Anyone know if the shrimp are moving yet? Thinking of going tonight.

• FlecFlec Posts: 482 Deckhand

So there are eels in the lagoon? Don't think I have ever heard that before. How big are they?

@Flec said:
    So there are eels in the lagoon? Don't think I have ever heard that before. How big are they?

what I saw was 30-40 critters in 2 hours, 12" at the longest

Jmo: I have not heard any reports of any good pulls yet, pls post here if you score tonight.

• Dr. BogasDr. Bogas Posts: 518 Officer

I did go last Friday night, Oak Hill catfish covered up my lights and would eat the few shrimp I saw. Never seen that many catfish before.

• gatorhookgatorhook Posts: 650 Officer

You'd be surprised what else was/is in the Lagoon. I remember catching squid, ballyhoo, seahorse, trigger...many interesting reef critters in the dip net years ago. Someday we will only be able to read about it based on our path of destruction(development).

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,036 Officer

There definitely are a lot less shrimp than there were 20 years ago. Folks would set up "100s" of pontoon boats around Oak Hill before dark in preparation for shrimping - it was like a maze to get a boat thru.

@Dr. Bogas said:
    I did go last Friday night, Oak Hill catfish covered up my lights and would eat the few shrimp I saw. Never seen that many catfish before.

Cats are becoming a real pain.
    I guess that is what's left when all the grass is gone :(
    I was over this weekend, nobody getting any.

• JmoJmo Posts: 2 Greenhorn

I went on Saturday night near Shipyard canal and got nothing. We did not stay out long as it was evident that there were no shrimp moving.

• MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 70 Greenhorn
    Bump back to the top anyone go this last full moon?

Everybody gets one

Bump back to the top anyone go this last full moon?

Capt Shawn and I went just before, now a couple of weeks ago.  Parking lot at RiverBreeze where we launched was full.  Stayed well over an hour.... but the wind shifted to out of the North and shut it down.  Everyone left, including us.  Managed 3 shrimp, which were released.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,565 Captain

Catch and release shrimping?

I probably would have done the same with just three.

• MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 70 Greenhorn
    Doesn't seem like we are going to get out run of um this year. 😬

Everybody gets one

big shrimp/small numbers