Home Off Topic

Colder temps caused by, yep, you guessed it.......

2

Replies

  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    One is going to happen with or with out man.
    The other is going to happen with or with out man but a few men can get very wealthy from it.
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 790 Officer
    There are some strange Ideas and some very very good post, which are as usual, ignored or laughed about. This cold spell, for what every reason, is close to the norm of the time I have lived on Lake Weir. In the 80s and nineties it was Cold most of winter, many nights with low temps in the the 20s and and first frost was in October, even saw it 10 above zero in the early 80s. Maybe it is a cycle of a bigger or changing climate, man made, man enhance or just plain natural. I will vote for natural but enchanted by man.
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    coldest florida has been was 1900

    from wiki:

    Snowfall[edit]

    Snow in Jacksonville on December 23, 1989
    Snowfall is rare in Florida. The earliest recorded occurrence of snow or sleet occurred in 1774 in the far northern portion of the state.[26] The latest occurrence of snow or sleet in the spring fell on January 7, 8, and 9, 2010, as a cold front brought scattered snow flurries in the northern and central portions of the state.[27]

    The state record for snowfall is 5 inches (13 cm), set in northern Florida during January 1800, though some debate exists about the accuracy.[28] The earliest in the season that frozen precipitation has fallen was during the Late November 2006 Nor'easter on November 21 across central Florida.[29] The latest in the season that snow or sleet has fallen was on April 8, 2007. Snow flurries has been recorded in the air as far south as Homestead, during a January 19, 1977 event. [30]



    current temps are not out of range when you look at the history. on the colder side, yes. But not out of range
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,617 AG
    I see 2010 referenced. How does this blast compare to 2010 when there was a big snook die off? I know we are kind of in the middle of it and it might be hard to tell, but I am hoping some of you can compare it and give me some reference.

    Captain Todd Approves

  • sailfish2sailfish2 Posts: 4,315 Captain
    Snook are gonna die in ecf.

    Sucks but it is what it is......
    Hoping for better luck next time...... and got it.

    WINNING!
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    coldest florida has been was 1900

    from wiki:

    Snowfall[edit]

    Snow in Jacksonville on December 23, 1989
    Snowfall is rare in Florida. The earliest recorded occurrence of snow or sleet occurred in 1774 in the far northern portion of the state.[26] The latest occurrence of snow or sleet in the spring fell on January 7, 8, and 9, 2010, as a cold front brought scattered snow flurries in the northern and central portions of the state.[27]

    The state record for snowfall is 5 inches (13 cm), set in northern Florida during January 1800, though some debate exists about the accuracy.[28] The earliest in the season that frozen precipitation has fallen was during the Late November 2006 Nor'easter on November 21 across central Florida.[29] The latest in the season that snow or sleet has fallen was on April 8, 2007. Snow flurries has been recorded in the air as far south as Homestead, during a January 19, 1977 event. [30]



    current temps are not out of range when you look at the history. on the colder side, yes. But not out of range

    Shhhh!!! The tourist commission and the developers don’t want that nonsense getting out.
    Florida is warm with balmy tropical breezes year round!!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,295 AG
    cadman wrote: »
    That to me is always the funniest thing every year, complain it's too hot int he summer and too cold int he winter. \

    I, personally, love this weather.

    Parts of Florida may get snow Wednesday.

    i never complain about the cold in Florida. All I do is wring my hands and count the $$ that I'm not spending on air conditioning. I get home, open the door and....."hear that? that's the sound of the AC NOT running".
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,617 AG
    I hear the rumbling of my clean energy gas furnace when I get home.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

    Captain Todd Approves

  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,554 Admiral
    Snow flurries has been recorded in the air as far south as Homestead, during a January 19, 1977 event.

    That must be the yr it snowed in Tampa, I was thinking 78.

    The snook are already dying in the Crystal river area. I read a report just awhile ago.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    Dummies don't know the difference between weather and climate.

    And the other dummies don't know climate changes happened before man even walked the earth. :rotflmao

    Climate's gonna climate, no matter how much you try to tax it. :willynilly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    navigator2 wrote: »
    And the other dummies don't know climate changes happened before man even walked the earth. :rotflmao

    Climate's gonna climate, no matter how much you try to tax it. :willynilly

    Dummies think this idiotic rebuttal to climate change makes sense.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,617 AG
    F the climate

    Captain Todd Approves

  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,461 Moderator
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Dummies think this idiotic rebuttal to climate change makes sense.

    Are you referring to "Climate Change" or "Man-Made climate change". I absolutely believe in Climate Change (and honestly haven't encountered anyone who doesn't). The other is open for debate...
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

    Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,617 AG
    Fletch wrote: »
    Are you referring to "Climate Change" or "Man-Made climate change". I absolutely believe in Climate Change (and honestly haven't encountered anyone who doesn't). The other is open for debate...

    They aren't mutually exclusive either. I mean everytime we breathe or take a dump we are changing the climate. Just because it's so infinitely minute we can't measure it, doesn't mean we aren't altering it. It's just inconsequential.

    Captain Todd Approves

  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Fletch wrote: »
    Are you referring to "Climate Change" or "Man-Made climate change". I absolutely believe in Climate Change (and honestly haven't encountered anyone who doesn't). The other is open for debate...

    The poster was basically saying, IMO, that climate change happens, true, and that the taxes related to climate change and carbon are ridiculous as the change is a natural process, not true, because the change we are experiencing is not natural in such an accelerated and predictable way. And by the way, anthropogenic climate change is only debatable in the group of people who have no clue and try and refute real science and scientists with alternative facts...
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    mplspug wrote: »
    They aren't mutually exclusive either. I mean everytime we breathe or take a dump we are changing the climate. Just because it's so infinitely minute we can't measure it, doesn't mean we aren't altering it. It's just inconsequential.

    **** are you eating? Or do you mean a collective "we". Huh, we ARE anthropogenic change...
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,617 AG
    IT's the BUTTerfly effect.

    Captain Todd Approves

  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,461 Moderator
    Cyclist wrote: »
    And by the way, anthropogenic climate change is only debatable in the group of people who have no clue and try and refute real science and scientists with alternative facts...

    And this is precisely why those who support man-made-climate-change continue to distance themselves from those who are in the undecided camp. You could have left that sentence off and accomplished more IMO. Plenty of instances in the scientific world of "scientists" advancing a political/economic agenda, tweaking data/results, reporting partial truths, etc. There is plenty of room for discussion.

    And FWIW, I've never said I don't think humans are contributing to climate change. But I do believe to what degree we are changing it and to what degree of change we can affect it in the future by throwing a bunch of money and resources at it is still VERY unsettled and VERY debatable.
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

    Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,198 AG
    Climate gonna climate.
    Warning Level 2
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Fletch wrote: »
    And this is precisely why those who support man-made-climate-change continue to distance themselves from those who are in the undecided camp. You could have left that sentence off and accomplished more IMO. Plenty of instances in the scientific world of "scientists" advancing a political/economic agenda, tweaking data/results, reporting partial truths, etc. There is plenty of room for discussion.

    And FWIW, I've never said I don't think humans are contributing to climate change. But I do believe to what degree we are changing it and to what degree of change we can affect it in the future by throwing a bunch of money and resources at it is still VERY unsettled and VERY debatable.

    Not the scientific world, but individual scientists and fringe scientists and certainly not over 95% of the scientists that actually study and do work in the field in question. That is just not how science works or has worked. Scientists are constantly looking at each others data and tweaking it or discounting it if needed (peer review). There has never been wholesale agreement in 95% of scientists that backed an issue that was patently wrong, especially for an issue that has been studied for over 40 years. 40 or so years ago is when the science of climate change indicated a serious problem. No scientist is going to back another scientists false data just because they are both scientists.

    And I agree, can we reverse the changes that have already occurred? Who knows, but the science is there and alternative energy and its other benefits such as health, environment etc. certainly make a strong case against fossil fuels. Look at the sickness in the gulf coast petro region, especially among children and asthma cases.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,214 AG
    Worrying about GW/CC is like worrying about a cut on your arm when you know you have bone cancer.

    TOO MANY PEOPLE!

    Pop on Earth has doubled in my 60+ years to over 7 Billion. It's a fact that millions and millions of humans each day, do not have access to enough clean water. Go look at Africa.

    How will the Earth do with 14 Billion in 50-60 years? 28 Billion?

    Yet the EcoNuts are screaming about Miami Beach losing an inch of shoreline.......

    Population used to be 'controlled' by plagues, disease, wars, famine, floods, etc. But we have 'fixed' most of those things. Great, let's everyone live to be 120. Then what?

    And somebody mentioned certain populations that are reproducing at a great rate than others? Go look at Muslims versus other groups of other populations.

    Maybe in 20 years or so, the planet will have a massive, global religious war that will thin the heard by a few billion.......
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Gary M wrote: »
    Worrying about GW/CC is like worrying about a cut on your arm when you know you have bone cancer.

    TOO MANY PEOPLE!

    Pop on Earth has doubled in my 60+ years to over 7 Billion. It's a fact that millions and millions of humans each day, do not have access to enough clean water. Go look at Africa.

    How will the Earth do with 14 Billion in 50-60 years? 28 Billion?

    Yet the EcoNuts are screaming about Miami Beach losing an inch of shoreline.......

    Population used to be 'controlled' by plagues, disease, wars, famine, floods, etc. But we have 'fixed' most of those things. Great, let's everyone live to be 120. Then what?

    And somebody mentioned certain populations that are reproducing at a great rate than others? Go look at Muslims versus other groups of other populations.

    Maybe in 20 years or so, the planet will have a massive, global religious war that will thin the heard by a few billion.......

    I agree, pop is THE biggee. But it is not an excuse to ignore problems we face, gotta have faith in technology....and mankind.

    By the way, poverty is the biggest reason for population increases and increasing birth rates...man not seem intuitive, but when you research the reasoning, it makes sense.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=poverty+reason+for+higher+birth+rates&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    So if population is the problem when are you guys going to advocate the reintroduction of the extermination camps?

    By the way talking about global warming,,, I had to sit at a truck stop this morning until I-10 could be reopened., ice and snow from Tallahassee to Midway.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,617 AG
    If only the rainforests weren't being decimated. That's the real problem. Rainforests are the radiators and regulators of earth.

    Captain Todd Approves

  • sailfish2sailfish2 Posts: 4,315 Captain
    Cyclist wrote: »
    The poster was basically saying, IMO, that climate change happens, true, and that the taxes related to climate change and carbon are ridiculous as the change is a natural process, not true, because the change we are experiencing is not natural in such an accelerated and predictable way. And by the way, anthropogenic climate change is only debatable in the group of people who have no clue and try and refute real science and scientists with alternative facts...

    blah blah blah.....

    A fight you'll never win.
    Hoping for better luck next time...... and got it.

    WINNING!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,701 AG
    this picture just changed the climate in my pants
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    sailfish2 wrote: »
    blah blah blah.....

    A fight you'll never win.

    He won't win but a bunch of suits will find a way to tax us more because of guys like him. (thank the good lord Hill didn't get elected)
    And the Al Gores of the world will get rich and raise the bar on wasteful carbon burning fun, laughing all the way to the bank and back on jets.
    Making millions off us because of all the followers like cyclist.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    And meanwhile your kids get asthma and lung diseases. ....
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,552 AG
    Cyclist wrote: »
    And meanwhile your kids get asthma and lung diseases. ....
    I think you have no idea what you are talking about on this point. You need new material.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    dave44 wrote: »
    I think you have no idea what you are talking about on this point. You need new material.

    Nope, but thanks for chiming in industry shill. Do some research on America's refinery region. And the effects of burning fossil fuels worldwide.
Sign In or Register to comment.