Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

St Croix tidemaster?

For Christmas I received a St. Croix mojo casting rod, I have no use for a casting rod and will return it, I also got a 100$ bass pro shop card and am wondering if I should upgrade to the st Croix tide master. I would get in mh 7ft and use it for lures for snook, reds, and trout and possibly juvi tarpon. Is it worth the upgrade over a mojo? It’s $40 more

Replies

• FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,022 Officer
    Save up and get the Avid inshore. It's the best rod for the money.
  • SnookSlob1SnookSlob1 Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    I don’t want to go that expensive but how would the avid compare to the tidemaster?
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,022 Officer
    SnookSlob1 wrote: »
    I don’t want to go that expensive but how would the avid compare to the tidemaster?

Much smoother overall. Guides feel different. It's worth the money.
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,300 Officer
    The St. Croix Tidemasters are excellent. I have 4. Would you be using the 7' MH for fishing docks and structure? Consider a Moderate action St. Croix. The softer tip will allow some flexibility for casting lures, but it will still have the backbone needed to handle big snook.
    Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
    The St. Croix Tidemasters are excellent. I have 4. Would you be using the 7' MH for fishing docks and structure? Consider a Moderate action St. Croix. The softer tip will allow some flexibility for casting lures, but it will still have the backbone needed to handle big snook.

That sounds like it’s the perfect rod for me, I’ve already got a lighter rod and I want to use this for lures mainly for snook and reds, how is it for trout? I cannot afford the avid. Also would the tidewater be considered a good all around rod for inshore?
    It just depends on where you will be using the rod. MH is good for skipping docks or fishing structure like bridges etc. I bought a H Mojo Inshore just for that. If not, I would recommend a St. Croix 7'6" Medium power withModerate action. You will be able to cast lures better and fight larger snook and reds. Longer rod equals more distance when casting. Shorter rods are for sgorter more precise casting. The moderate action will also provide more give and not rip lures out of the mouths of fish, especially when they are thrashing at the boat. Fast action rods are not good to me. There is no give in the tip and I miss more fish on the strike than the mod action. Trout have thin mouths. Mod action is definitely better. MH is overkill for trout. Go as light as possible in rod, reel, line and leader and you will have more fun fighting fish than when your tackle is too stout.
    It just depends on where you will be using the rod. MH is good for skipping docks or fishing structure like bridges etc. I bought a H Mojo Inshore just for that. If not, I would recommend a St. Croix 7'6" Medium power withModerate action. You will be able to cast lures better and fight larger snook and reds. Longer rod equals more distance when casting. Shorter rods are for sgorter more precise casting. The moderate action will also provide more give and not rip lures out of the mouths of fish, especially when they are thrashing at the boat. Fast action rods are not good to me. There is no give in the tip and I miss more fish on the strike than the mod action. Trout have thin mouths. Mod action is definitely better. MH is overkill for trout. Go as light as possible in rod, reel, line and leader and you will have more fun fighting fish than when your tackle is too stout.

I kind of want this rod to be all around (flats, docks, etc) but I commonly come across above slit snook and want something that can handle them to. If I went mh should I get moderate tip? Also what exactly is the difference between fast and moderate?
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 316 Deckhand
    I’ve got the Tidemaster paired with a Penn International 965
    Great plugging rod. Would buy again
    Tell me about this lighter rod that you already have. What is the power rating and the action. If you are looking for an all around rod that you can use for flats, docks, mangroves, bridges etc. You can't go wrong with the 7'6" Tidemaster with medium power and moderate action. It is a great all around rod and I was so happy with the first one I got that I bought another. It will allow for longer casts on the flats. It has great sensitivity and they have a great return policy.

Fast action means that there is little to no movement from the tip of the rod to about a foot down. There is no give at all. This is fine if you are say fishing a plastic worm for bass. Fast action rods call for heavier lures. You won't be able to cast lighter lures as far as you could with a moderate action rod. The moderate action has some play/flex in the tip that allows you to load the rod when bringing it back and then propel lures farther. I fish small and med. swimbaits most of the time. I want my rod to have some give in the tip. When a fish hits, the rod tip will give a bit allowing the fish to get hooked rather than the fast action rods not flexing and ripping it out of their mouths. Now there are some rods that are Fast action, but they do have flex/play in the tip. My favorite rod is the 7'6" Shimano Crucial Med power and fast action. This rod does have flex in the tip and I can launch 1/16 oz jig heads with 3" swimbaits very far. This rod is so light and super sensitive. I originally bought it for throwng the Spook jr, but the flex in the tip made it harder to get in the rhythm for walking the dog. For the most part, I have found Fast action rods to be too stiff. I like a softer tip. Get a 7'6" Med power and moderate action St. Croix rod. You will not be disappointed.
    The other rod is a medium 7’ which I will use for live, finesse/worm fishing for bass. I will use this rod for Lures for Saltwater @BassinAssasin
  • ericfericf Posts: 463 Deckhand
    I have fished a 7'6 Tidemaster Medium power Medium-Fast action rod for the last 10-12 years as one of my go-to's... Have replaced a number of guides over the years, and it now measures 7'2 or so after breaking off the tip a few times. Battle scarred old warrior that has caught some of my most memorable fish and still near the top of my daily rotation. Have always paired with a 2500- or 3000- size spinning reel and 15-20# braid. Great rod for a ton of situations...

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
    What Eric said. Broke my tips off on both my 7'6"s. Replaced them and still good to go. Great rods. You got a 7 medium. Get a 7'6".
    I got it and already love it, I got it in m 7’. I’ve only tried it with smaller Doa’s which is what it will mostly be used for but is it to light to throw a spook or spook jr? Lure weight is 3/8 to 3/4 oz
  • Marty McFlyMarty McFly Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    The Tidemaster is nice. I owned a 8' 17-40lb rated and used for big snook in the passes. Handled them with ease.

I know the avids are popular but a few of my friends owned them and got rid of them after only a few months.
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 258 Deckhand
    I think that Bassin Assassin pretty much nailed it regarding the ability for it to through soft plastics. I too am interested in how the softer and longer rod works for throwing topwater. I am 90% throwing skitterwalks... and use a MH-Fast 6 1/2 rod for topwater... I get great action on the skitterwalks with it...

So I too wonder what the longer lighter rod does on a skitter walk...
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
    Not sure why you didn't get the 7'6". Longer rod equals greater casting distance, which is great for casting DOA paddletails. Did you get moderate or fast action? That rod should be fine for the ssj. Fast action is better for walking the dog, but less flex in the tip can cost anglers on the # of hook-ups.
    Not sure why you didn't get the 7'6". Longer rod equals greater casting distance, which is great for casting DOA paddletails. Did you get moderate or fast action? That rod should be fine for the ssj. Fast action is better for walking the dog, but less flex in the tip can cost anglers on the # of hook-ups.
    I got it in fast action
  • HondoHondo Posts: 54 Deckhand
    I own both a Tidemaster (7' Med Action) and Mojo (7' Med Light Action). Definitely my favorite 2 rods. The Mojo is great for the money and is a little bit lighter with the split grip. Great for trout on the flats. Works topwaters well. Have tangled with a few large reds and snook and still held up. The tidemaster is great for all around fishing in the Med action. Have used it on the flats and around docks/bridges. Can handle anything from heavy topwater plugs to unweighted jerk baits with good casting distance. I would recommend the Mojo in Med action as a good all around rod if you throw a lot of artificials since it is a bit lighter and less expensive than the tidemaster.
    Bottom line, you really cant go wrong with either. St Croix makes a great product.
    The 7' TM in fast action is a very good all around rod. If you ever get a 7 '6" rod you will not go back to a 7' rod unless it is for a specific application, like fishing docks. I bought a 7' Mojo Inshore in Heavy power with fast action specifically for fishing docks and bridges. Correctly matching the right tackle (rod, reel, #braid, #leader, lure or jig head weight and size lure) to the environment that you are fishing will increase the number of strikes, hook-ups and catches. All tackle is inter-related. Approach your set-ups scientifically to achieve optimum results.
  • 305masfish305masfish Miami, flPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Im stuck with a similar dilema
    Want to buy an all around combo for south florida.
    Want a shimano stradic but not sure on whether i should get the new **** or the ci4+ 
    3000 or 4000 size ? 

Want to pair ir with a 7" mid action rod

St croix tidemaster, mojo inshore spinning or avid.
    Also looked at the g loomis green waterwater rods 

This is going to be my go to combo for everything 

Id appreciate some guidance 
    edited January 2019 #22
    If I had the cash, I would get a 7'6" G Loomis Greenwater with Medium Power and moderate action. Pair that with the CI 4+ 3000. That would be an incredible set-up for casting multiple lures with varying sizes and weights. Why a 7 footer? 
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 751 Officer
    Ci 4s are awesome. I have a 2500, 3000, and 4000. They are expensive though. But I pair them with $55 calico jack rods. I only fish live and dead bait so I have never seen the need for a high end rod.
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 432 Deckhand
    Splurge a little! I paired a ci4 3000 (15lb pp) with a St Croix LTIS70MF.  It is a very light weight combo I can cast all day.  I also like the reel seat design.  The clamp never comes loose like most other rods.

I definitely plan to gey the next size up rod with a ci4 4000.
    That's why I like the calico jacks. They are super light with a ci4. What do those rods sell for?
    That's why I like the calico jacks. They are super light with a ci4. What do those rods sell for?
    I think it was around $315. 
    Ouch!! Thanks for the response. I will go take a look sometime, but I have too many rods already.
    Ouch!! Thanks for the response. I will go take a look sometime, but I have too many rods already.
    Yeah, I know. 
    The main selling point for me was the reel seat.  It sounds sort of odd but I always found myself tightening the clamp, even on $100 rods. 
    Plus the rod is so friggin light. 
    It's not odd. I tighten mine multiple times every trip. I gave my daughter a brand new ci4 3000 to use a couple of years back , next thing I hear is splash. The reel went to the bottom in about 6 feet of water. She was like what just happened. I wasn't mad at all. I just educated her to always check that stupid clamp. Got the reel back and gave it a good cleaning. Fine ever since.